Subject: If/When to Promo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"I do what I do because it’s right! Because it’s decent! And above all, it’s kind! It’s just that… Just kind." -Dr. Who
badge
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you buy promo cards? If so, when do you usually buy promos? Is it the same argument as to whether to buy an expansion right away or wait to see if you want/need it later?

There are a number of promos in BGG that interest me, but I didn't plan ahead properly for my spouse's birthday, so I can't get away with that excuse at the moment. Some of them seem like they've been there for a bit, but do BGG promo cards usually run out at some point? Are there other places to buy promo cards?

It's especially hard to decide whether to buy a promo for a game that I've pre-ordered but have never actually played. Granted, there's always G4GG or just having it as a nice extra if we decide to sell the game. But it definitely adds on a not-insubstantial percentage to the base game cost.

So, if/when/how do you promo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if Promos sell out, but I think they would eventually.

I tend to get promos pretty quickly once I get the game, but lately have waited to get several at a time to reduce the handling fee, not that that's much.

But I'm a completionist. So I like having as much of a game as possible.

And yeah, it's a good thing to have if you ever trade the game away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice Parks
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools

I never promos and I barely ever add expansions. For some reason everytime I've added an expansion it KILLED the game for my family. Carc and Zooloretto are dead to us.

Also, if I have spent good hard earned money on a game that doesn't work I refuse to spend any more money trying to 'fix' it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most promos are flavor unless it is a full expansion they don't do much to the game. That said, I love promos and hate it when I can't get one I want-lol. Most at BGG don't seem to run out of stock to fast. Hehe, be sure and list promos on your want list for the holiday envelopes. Promos fit so well in envelopes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
Promo stock is usually dependent on a game's popularity. Small World: Leaders of Small World is one that comes to mind that was exclusive to the BGG store and sold out.

I usually buy promos after I've played the game a few times. I ONLY buy expansions if I really like the game and have played the game many times and it's starting to get stale. Pandemic is at the point where I'm looking for expansions, whereas Mice and Mystics is a great game, but we haven't made it through the story yet, so no need for expansions. Dungeon Petz is my favourite game, but I haven't purchased the expansion because I really don't get to play the game much (my partner doesn't really like it) and feel like there's still lots left in the original box to explore (I have 2/3 promos for that though).

The exception to this is Kickstarter content. If there's a pledge level with just a game, and a "complete" pledge that includes promo and/or expansion content, I'll usually go all-in. Sometimes it's because of price (Dungeon Lords: Happy Anniversary is less expensive on KS than it is to buy the base game + festival season at my OLGS) , sometimes because there's no guarantee that content will be easy to find later (as with Havok & Hijinks or Smash Monster Rampage!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get promos for any games I have and for games I think I may buy in the future. They do run out and can be difficult and expensive to track down later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
We buy promos but only for games we already know we like. They make great stocking stuffers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bought a promo or two...I think for Dominion and Kingdom Builder.

The very best expansions I ever bought are Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 and Kingdom Builder: Nomads. But normally I have found expansions and promos to be unnecessary, too, or even ruined things, as previously mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
I don't really care. In fact, I was supposed to get one as part of a KS, but they never sent it and I gave up after they basically ignored me (Game Salute, sigh; anyway, I was just grateful to get the game itself after weeks of back and forth when they never sent even that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most promos we have either came with the game purchase, or were bought for games we like, and would like to have a little something extra for.

As for full expansions, we've had mixed success with that. For things like Carcassonne and Race for the Galaxy, and maybe even Dominion we overdid it, and the expansions somewhat ruined the game for us. But for other games we really like the expansions and play with them always mixed in (TtR 1910 is the obvious example here), or use them regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnieszka
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love promos and expansions - it's like Pokemon with me ("Gotta have them all!" ) So if I own and like the game, I'm very likely to grab the expansion / promo very quickly. Unless I bought the game after many promos or expansions had been released and they are no longer available (like Ghost Stories for example...) So I think this is what drives me - the fear that I won't be able to get them later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Lorna: they do not change the game experience (otherwise they would be game-breaking; or worth their own expansion), but actually, they are totally cute.

Getting or not getting them... it really depends on too many factors, and probably it's also related to the obnoxious question: are you completist (completionist?)? Wanna have eerything of a game, or not? They are cute, but actually spending 5 dollars for a couple of cards, when compared to the usual price of a game, it's quite a lot, so I can see how people could prefer getting an entire new game instead of 5-6 promos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
being a bit of a completist, I like getting promos although I mostly look for the speilbox ones. I more interested in ones that add an interesting small twist to gameplay than than the strictly funny ones. Often the comments on the promo's bgg page help me tract down when it's worth getting a promo (that I don't get for free).

Agnieszka
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The ghost stories promos are available at

http://shop.rprod.com/index.php?id_category=4&controller=cat...

there's a minimum order so it really only makes sense for people who want all of them rather than just one (I only need Ghost Stories: Jean-Claude Van Rice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mb
I don't care about promo's. I find them totally stupid. First off all most of the time they don't add anything special to the game and most of the time they are just like a card or so. I don't need it to enjoy my game and find it a cheap marketing trick to push people in buying the game.

They are different from expansions, which I rarely buy these days as I don't get to play the main games enough to justify having an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.