Subject: S-Evolution or...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all.

I'm looking for a reasonably quick, light game for 2 - 4 players. While I don't mind it being competitive, I would prefer something that doesn't involve direct conflict between players.

While poking around the Geek, I stumbled across S-Evolution, which seems to fit the bill nicely. Does anybody have any experience with it, or can folks recommend any alternatives?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
S-Evolution was my biggest flop of the games I bought at Essen last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really?

Would you mind elaborating on why you thought S-Evolution was a flop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
My comments stated: "Disappointing. The game has good ideas that did not seem to work in practice. The statue building seemed to be way overpowered. Some of the rules not very clear, like is someone in a 'colr' age that follows trump can win the hand with the highest card? Inclusion of the discoveries also vague. Expected more; maybe it can be fixed, but so far my Essen mistake." I remember liking the idea, but in practice it was hard to catch a leader, many hands were automatic plays with no thinking, and a player could dominate easily. Nobody could wait for it to be over. Again, some good ideas, but they didn't work as a whole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Michael. I had heard about the 'run-away' leader issue, but I'd hoped it may have been less of a problem with 3 or 4 players.

Could you, or anybody else, recommend another game that has the light, fast play S-Evolutio was aiming for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's daft to live by ratings, but S-Evolution doesn't even nearly reach 6 / 10 on average, so I'd not seriously consider it at all unless I'd personally played it already.

It is, however, currently ranked "8008" which makes me snigger.

But there are hundreds and hundreds of games that a 2-4 players and reasonably light. Really not much to go on there, just about all of the "usual suspects" that get trotted out on an hourly basis in recommendation threads could apply here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.