Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Fowle
United States
Walpole
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started playing Star Wars: the card game, and wow what a game. I used to play a lot of MTG, but quit a few years ago, and have been looking for a game that can fill that role in my gaming library. Star Wars LCG looks to be more than able to replace MTG for me.

I currently only own 1 core set. I am trying to figure out what other expansions and sets to buy first. I know that eventually I will be buying a second core set, but I don't want to put my limited funds into that now. I like the idea of possibly sticking to one force cycle, like hoth, to keep it more thematic, but I'm not opposed to jumping around if.

So my question is: If you had enough money to buy either 4 force packs, or 1 deluxe expansion and 2 force packs, which would you suggest and why? If there is already a thread that you know of that gives a rating for all the current force packs and expansions, would you please link it for me?

Thanks in advance for any input, and have fun gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edge of Darkness: That will get you the Smugglers and Spies as well as the Scum and Villainy factions.

Heroes and Legends, and Lure of the Dark Side. Just be aware, there's a tournament restriction against using the Smuggler pod from Heroes and Legends with the one from Lure of the Dark Side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edge of Darkness should be the next thing you should buy. It makes Smugglers and Scum playable as primary factions. After that, you should get a second core set and and another EoD. Then, start on the Force Packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Edge of Darkness should be the next thing you should buy. It makes Smugglers and Scum playable as primary factions. After that, you should get a second core set and and another EoD. Then, start on the Force Packs.
Yeah, this is actually better advice.

The Force Packs are nice for filling out a collection beyond that, but without a second core, decks just aren't consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And to be honest, most of the iconic characters and ships are contained in the Core and Edge of Darkness, so you'll have all the mains if you focus on those boxes.

Core: Luke, Leia, Han, R2-D2, C-3PO, Tarkin, Vader, Palpatine, Boba Fett
Edge of Darkness: Chewbacca, Lando, Millennium Falcon, Slave I, Greedo, Jabba

From that point of view, FFG really did us a favor by keeping most of the fan favorites decently consolidated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
Edge of Darkness: That will get you the Smugglers and Spies as well as the Scum and Villainy factions.

Considering what StarkeRealm suggested, you may want to take a look at the following thread:

Poll regarding casual gaming decks composed of the Core Set (x1) + Edge of Darkness (x1)

Good gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Kpuff wrote:

So my question is: If you had enough money to buy either 4 force packs, or 1 deluxe expansion and 2 force packs, which would you suggest and why? If there is already a thread that you know of that gives a rating for all the current force packs and expansions, would you please link it for me?

Edge of Darkness first. For now, pass on Balance of the Force.

Once you get into the force packs, I think that for the most part each one offers some intriguing components, while each one also has some less interesting pods. What I may find interesting may be "meh" to you.

From the Hoth cycle, I really liked Escape from Hoth. Besides having the Executor for the Sith, it comes with a pilot version of Luke, a rebel Han, and the bounty hunter Dengar. For theme, you can't go wrong with Battle of Hoth which will give you AT-ATs and some speeders. And while Search for Skywalker isn't my favorite overall, it contains one of my favorite cards----Echo Caverns.

Here's a brief review I wrote for 'Escape': http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1122020/pappys-picks-star-wa...

It seems as though many here on BGG prefer the Echoes of the Force cycle, though so far I've liked the Hoth cycle better (much to do with my preference of the movie characters and themes over the EU ones). Having said that, there are certainly nice cards in this cycle, even some that have been theorized as "overpowered." I've enjoyed Lure of the Dark Side best so far, though the new Yoda from Join Us or Die is pretty sweet. I'm very excited about the next pack coming out, It Binds All Things because it will have IG-88. But then again, with this game, it always seems like 'the next one coming out' is super exciting.

So while everyone here has given advice for for 2 cores and 2 EoDs----you've already said that you'd by 2 cores and you asked about 4 force packs vs a deluxe and 2 force packs. So, to answer your question, my preference is:
1) EoD
2) Escape from Hoth
3) Battle of Hoth

Good luck!

Edited for spelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
And to be honest, most of the iconic characters and ships are contained in the Core and Edge of Darkness, so you'll have all the mains if you focus on those boxes.

Core: Luke, Leia, Han, R2-D2, C-3PO, Tarkin, Vader, Palpatine, Boba Fett
Edge of Darkness: Chewbacca, Lando, Millennium Falcon, Slave I, Greedo, Jabba

From that point of view, FFG really did us a favor by keeping most of the fan favorites decently consolidated.

Okay, building on that... let's sort out exactly what you're getting from each set and pod.

Core you already know, so I'll skip it, and Budgernaut got most of the stuff in Edge of Darkness. There's an HK-47 Assassin Droid in there too, though it's more of an Easter egg than a real reference.

Balance of the Force adds two "Archenemy" non-customizable decks. One has multiple dark side players trying to track down Luke during the time between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, with a lot of Shadows of the Empire nods in it. The Dark Side deck has multiple light players trying to prevent the second Death Star from coming online, or destroying it once it does.

Balance also adds B-Wings, Mara Jade, Dash Rendar, Punishing One, and a new version of Obi-Wan for normal play.

Hoth Cycle:

Desolation of Hoth adds Wedge, Wampas, and a Navy version of Vader.

Search for Skywalker and A Dark Time don't really have any signature cards. They have useful cards, but nothing that would make me say, "yeah, if you love this one thing about the setting, you should grab it." Though, Search for Skywalker does add Renegade Squad from the Battlefront games.

Assault on Echo Base adds Col Serra (also from the Battlefront games... I think) and General Veers.

Battle for Hoth adds the 501st, AT-ATs, and some of the Rogue Squadron snowspeeders (Rogue 3 is in Wedge's pod).

Escape from Hoth adds a new version of Luke, a Rebel version of Han, Dengar, and the absurdly expensive Executor.

Echoes of the Force:

Heroes and Legends adds Kyle Katarn, Aquaris Freeholders (from the comics, I think), Jan Ors, Jerec, and Phase I Dark Troopers. If you're a Dark Forces fan, this one's probably going to be a lot of fun.

Lure of the Dark Side has new versions of Dash Rendar and Mara Jade, it's also got Zuckuss, 4-Lom and Crix Madine.

Knowledge and Defense has more Dark Forces goodies, with Sariss, and the Moldy Crow. It also has General Carlist Rieekan, who never showed up in the Hoth cycle for some reason.

Join us or Die adds full fledged Dark Troopers, Winter (from the Thrawn Trillogy), a new version of Yoda, and Wittin (a Jawa that the Decipher CCG made a big deal about).

But, yeah, unless you see something in that list that makes you go, "but that's the heart of Star Wars for me, it just won't be the same without them," then you probably want to hold off on the Force packs.

If you want to play 1v2 or 1v3 games, then Balance of the Force is necessary, otherwise ignore it, and if you really want Dash Rendar (why?) or Mara Jade, just grab Lure of the Dark Side instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.