Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Nolte
United States
La Habra Heights
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Has anyone tried incorporating some of the new elements from Thebes: Tomb Raider into Thebes? I am thinking of putting the best of both games together to (hopefully) make a better game. Things like the ability to sell artifacts for more points, the thief and tomb raider cards, professor cards... Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Lea
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remora824 wrote:
Has anyone tried incorporating some of the new elements from Thebes: Tomb Raider into Thebes? I am thinking of putting the best of both games together to (hopefully) make a better game. Things like the ability to sell artifacts for more points, the thief and tomb raider cards, professor cards... Thoughts?

There are certain imbalances that must be considered between the two games.

To me, they play almost in reverse polarities to one another.

With Thebes, the treasure-to-rubble ratio is much higher, and you start with all treasure and gradually dwindle down. Future excavations inevitably get worse and worse.

Tomb Raider, on the other hand, has very little rubble, comparatively, but you are playing a waiting game as when to best make that excavation attempt.

The time crunch on Tomb Raider is also more prevalent. In Thebes, I almost always exhaust my excavations and even find myself performing useless excavations in year three just to pass the time and hoping, maybe, to get that last 2-point artifact.

In Tomb Raider, on the other hand, I have never been able to effectively utilize all my excavations and find I tend to have to focus on one or two sites (book collections), with maybe a tactical dabble in the others, for Presentation purposes, etc.

I like the Museum aspect included with Tomb Raider, and think it may be the least intrusive alteration. Thebes already gives end game rewards to the holder of the most knowledge in each color, so the Professor cards would just be a minor change to the already present rules.

The thief and tomb raider cards would, possibly, be the most problematic, due to the nature in which the treasures deplete/accumulate between the two games. Playtesting may be in order, but I think that in Thebes, if used as they are in Tomb Raider, they will tip the balance and make things unfair.

Now, perhaps if the thief literally let you steal a random artifact from another player.... hmmm. New game... Thebes: Cutthroats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Long
United States
Burien
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thieving has a possibility of working. Develop a mechanic to determine if the attempt is successful or not or a cost like discard a card or spend x number of weeks "planning" your ambush. Some other ideas that might help. Have the option of traveling to a city where players can "donate/secure" the artifacts and/or have another option like quick sell to the wealthy or black market where you get half the value.

I don't think it would be better than the original though, just something to mix it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.