Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A Malaysian Airlines passenger plane with 295 aboard was shot down by a surface-to-air missile in Ukraine near the Russian border a day after a Ukrainian military jet was downed, according to multiple reports.

Multiple reports, including from Russia's Interfax news agency, said the Boeing 777 was shot down at cruising altitude. Anton Gerashenko, an adviser to Ukraine's Interior Minister told The Associated press that the plane, carrying 280 passengers and 15 crew people onboard was shot down by a missile fired from a Buk launcher. A similar launcher was seen by Associated Press journalists near the eastern Ukrainian town of Snizhne earlier Thursday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Malaysia Airlines Passenger Plane shot down over Ukraine
Words escape me, Did they not even try to contact the airliner, was it not on a scheduled route, just how many random idiots now have weapons in Ukraine?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a link? I saw the "shot down" angle on some non-news type sites earlier, but I hadn't seen it corroborated by a real source yet. I assume Interfax is just capitalizing on an opportunity to make Ukraine look bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
According to CNN some low-level Ukrainian official has said they don't "exclude" the possibility it was shot down, but that seems unreliable. Especially since everyone in the area is COMPLETELY FUCKING INSANE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Same story on NY Times--no reason to think it was shot down other than officials saying they can't "rule out" the possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If it WAS shot down, this sounds like the perfect spark to ignite a major war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Wall Street Journal, who seems to have the least hysterical take on this so far:

The WSJ wrote:
The plane went down near the city of Torez in the Donetsk region while flying at a height of about 10,000 meters, according to Anton Gerashchenko, an adviser to Ukraine's Interior Ministry.

The crash immediately sparked speculation about the cause amid fighting between Ukrainian and pro-Russia separatists. Several other planes have been downed in recent days.

Also fueling speculation is the fact that it involved Malaysia Airlines, the operator at the center of a global mystery over the disappearance of its flight in March.

The war of words kicked off immediately after the crash. In a phone call with The Wall Street Journal, Mr. Gerashchenko alleged that pro-Russia rebels had set up a ground-to-missile battery near the Russian border by the town of Snizhne.

"They clearly thought that it was a military transport plane that they were shooting at," he said. "They were the ones who did this."

His claims couldn't be verified. Klavdia Kulbatskaya, a spokeswoman for the rebel-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic, said she had no information on the incident.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

I'm skeptical. One "adviser" to the Grand High Mucky-Muck or whatever Ukraine calls their supreme ruler is saying it's possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
From the Wall Street Journal, who seems to have the least hysterical take on this so far:

The WSJ wrote:
The plane went down near the city of Torez in the Donetsk region while flying at a height of about 10,000 meters, according to Anton Gerashchenko, an adviser to Ukraine's Interior Ministry.

The crash immediately sparked speculation about the cause amid fighting between Ukrainian and pro-Russia separatists. Several other planes have been downed in recent days.

Also fueling speculation is the fact that it involved Malaysia Airlines, the operator at the center of a global mystery over the disappearance of its flight in March.

The war of words kicked off immediately after the crash. In a phone call with The Wall Street Journal, Mr. Gerashchenko alleged that pro-Russia rebels had set up a ground-to-missile battery near the Russian border by the town of Snizhne.

"They clearly thought that it was a military transport plane that they were shooting at," he said. "They were the ones who did this."

His claims couldn't be verified. Klavdia Kulbatskaya, a spokeswoman for the rebel-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic, said she had no information on the incident.
I said that plane going down over the ocean was part of Puttin's world domination plot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

The WSJ wrote:

I said that plane going down over the ocean was part of Puttin's world domination plot.

Are you an adviser to the Ukraine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Malaysia vs. Ukraine with Putin kibbitzing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Interesting. It's not easy to shoot down a 777 at 33,000 feet. That would have to be some really bad ass equipment..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

I'm skeptical. One "adviser" to the Grand High Mucky-Muck or whatever Ukraine calls their supreme ruler is saying it's possible.

I can't say I'm particularly skeptical about the possibility it was shot down. There's been multiple shutdowns by the various sides in that area recently. I'm almost certain it was an accidental shootdown by one of them. There's little reason for a plane to spontaneously crash with no warning in perfect weather midflight.

I'm skeptical about any claims about who might be responsible though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Interesting. It's not easy to shoot down a 777 at 33,000 feet. That would have to be some really bad ass equipment.

If it was an SA-17 as claimed, that would be cake. A commercial jet wouldn't pose a challenge for something designed to shoot down ballistic missiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Interesting. It's not easy to shoot down a 777 at 33,000 feet. That would have to be some really bad ass equipment..

Top Ukraine gear:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

I can't say I'm particularly skeptical about the possibility it was shot down. There's been multiple shutdowns by the various sides in that area recently. I'm almost certain it was an accidental shootdown by one of them. There's little reason for a plane to spontaneously crash with no warning in perfect weather midflight.

I'm skeptical because the entire "shot down" story seems to have come from one dubious source. If it's substantiated by more reliable sources, fine, but for now it's the equivalent of gossip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

I'm skeptical because the entire "shot down" story seems to have come from one dubious source. If it's substantiated by more reliable sources, fine, but for now it's the equivalent of gossip.

Yeah good point it is not very clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Well, it's not easy for a *MANPAD* to do it, no.

But most SAM vehicles/batteries should not have an issue. Even a first-gen Kub could go it, and if they supposedly have a Buk in the area...even an SA-6 has a ceiling of nearly 50,000 feet, so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the New York Times, just earlier today separatists apparently had shot down another plane.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/18/world/europe/ukraine-says-...

Also, Kremlin-backed insurgents shoot down military plane in Luhansk, killing 49 on June 14, 2014

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/kremlin-backed-insur...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

I know right!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Russia'n cmdr Strelkov commented on downed #MH17 (thinking it was Ukrainian): "We warned - do not fly in our skies" pic.twitter.com/hkXoaD3xvT

https://twitter.com/StateOfUkraine/status/489802664264212480...

Sky News is reporting that Russian news sites pulled down video of separatists celebrating shooting down what they thought was “cargo jet.”

Hill intel sources say Russia has the capability to potentially shoot down a #MH17 but not Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/ChadPergram
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:

This is nonsense. Ukraine absorbed plenty of former Soviet equipment when the USSR dissolved. The military capabilities of both countries are similar because in many cases they're using the same equipment. It's also not difficult to shoot down a civilian airliner if you have that equipment.

You mean equipment from 1991? Rocketry equipment at that. Is it still in working order after all that time? How old were they in 1991? What kind of corrosive propellant does it use, and wouldn't that degrade over time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
LeeDambis wrote:

This is nonsense. Ukraine absorbed plenty of former Soviet equipment when the USSR dissolved. The military capabilities of both countries are similar because in many cases they're using the same equipment. It's also not difficult to shoot down a civilian airliner if you have that equipment.

You mean equipment from 1991? Rocketry equipment at that. Is it still in working order after all that time? How old were they in 1991? What kind of corrosive propellant does it use, and wouldn't that degrade over time?

A lot of expertise from the former Soviet Union remained in Ukraine. They're the eighth largest arms exporter in the world and export all sorts of advanced equipment. A huge amount of that goes to Russia, including most of Russia's nuclear missile arsenal. Ukraine is not a military technological backwater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
LeeDambis wrote:

The Ukraine purchased military equipment from Russia until several years ago when relations between the two fell apart. So a lot of military equipment is much younger than 1991. Most of the former Soviet States get their military equipment from Russia. It's a major money maker for Russian military companies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very legal & very cool
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We did warn you — do not fly in our sky

This was posted by Defense Minister of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic on VK, the Russian facebook, shortly after the plane went down, and was later deleted.

I would be very surprised if this plane wasn't shot down by pro-Russian separatists, who had previously boasted of possessing the SA-7 SAM system but now deny owning such hardware
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.