Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm new to this game; I have yet to play it but I saw it on the contests section of the website and see it supports up to 12 players and it doesn't take 2+ hours to play, which is one of the things I'm looking for for building my collection to better accommodate larger party-ish groups. I will probably see a playthrough before purchasing. Our group likes Pandemic and Eldritch Horror, which are some of the only co-op games we have between us. I don't think they're big on the Cthulu themes in EH and more so like the interesting co-op mechanics behind it and that it supports a large number of players. I'm thinking of getting Patient 0 edition, but am a bit strapped on money ATM unfortunately and am not sure whether to shell out for the other optional stuff (or if added stuff in Patient 0 is worth it).

Coming from a background of people who may not be big on the zombie theme (but not necessarily against it), is there anything folk would recommend that they feel would add its values worth or more in terms of making play more interesting, enjoyable, etc or is a 'must have'? For example, there seems to be a thread or two mentioning feelings on the 'meh'ness of some of the guest characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly it's not worth buying most of the extras unless you feel like paying a premium. Save your self some cash and head over to amazon or coolstuffinc. As for the other stuff, I just woke up and I am sure other people can answer it better than me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Optional stuff is totally optional. If you get any of it make sure it's the kickstarter exclusive stuff. But the dashboards are downloadable so you could always proxy later or even just use the wrong figure. It's just some more options. It is a fun game. I missed first kickstarter and bought it at my FLGS. Out of the box we had a blast. We were hooked and that why I buy the extras. Like previously stated you could try the original from amazon or coolstuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked a couple of times in the forums which extra buys are duplicates of already achieved stretch goals and didn't get an answer. All the extra board and the VIP #2 set I think are duplicates (it's just a collection of the previously released stretch goals). There may be more but some are also partials (5 crows vs. 20 in the box, barriers also are in the doors extra buy, etc.) I'm not sure if there are any more.

Add-ons that could enhance game play include the book of scenarios and some of the stretch goals involving cards and dashboards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The $100 level is fine. I don't think it would be a problem, but S3 doesn't come with the basic zombies, so you could pick up the base game or Prison Outbreak. The price in the KS is about the same for US as Amazon, and Amazon would be faster shipping. Or just proxy the S3 zombies for the basic ones; download the base game rules from the Guillotine Games website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snarfel wrote:
...it supports up to 12 players and it doesn't take 2+ hours to play...

I don't think you can put these two things in the same sentence (as you have to qualify a number of things to put the second part in a sentence by itself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
snarfel wrote:

I don't think you can put these two things in the same sentence (as you have to qualify a number of things to put the second part in a sentence by itself).
Mr. Nolin is correct. With that many players it will take a long time. I've played with six strongly opinionated players and it took at least three hours. If that's a problem for your usual group it is something to consider before buying.

As for your original question, if pledging for S3 the only things I'd consider a must-buy are the exclusive Survivors. IIRC, there are only four of them, so that's +$40. If it turns out you don't like them, you can auction them off: exclusives usually turn a profit. A number of other items will eventually be at retail and so you can buy them later if you really enjoy the game.

You may want to visit the official Zombicide website. There are various free downloads for Missions and Survivors which may be of interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancestral Hamster wrote:
longagoigo wrote:
snarfel wrote:

Mr. Nolin is correct. With that many players it will take a long time. I've played with six strongly opinionated players and it took at least three hours. If that's a problem for your usual group it is something to consider before buying.

As for your original question, if pledging for S3 the only things I'd consider a must-buy are the exclusive Survivors. IIRC, there are only four of them, so that's +$40. If it turns out you don't like them, you can auction them off: exclusives usually turn a profit. A number of other items will eventually be at retail and so you can buy them later if you really enjoy the game.

You may want to visit the official Zombicide website. There are various free downloads for Missions and Survivors which may be of interest.

Thanks for the heads up, I was going off the S3 BGG stats page which said ~60 minutes, if that's the case it's 3+ hours for 6-12 players I'll probably just hold off and vest in other games I have my eyes on.

EDIT: Although our group is not strongly opinionated, so it might not be that bad/long. :X

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can download the current rulebooks from the GG website for free and check out the missions/times. So far they are optimized for 6 players max although this may change with S3. The play times are wildly out though. The S2 ones are at least an hour too short in most cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would purchase the $150 level (expansions add good content, and you'll get a promo that'll be worth $30-$100). After that I'd purchase the exclusive survivors.

If money isn't an option I'd add the guest artist boxes (more survivors = more gaming options) and box of zombies (so you don't run out and give the zombies those pesky extra activations).

I personally am in for 3x's everything... (no, not to re-sell, haven't sold anything yet) I love zombicide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time I have found depends on two things. Your group and your draws. I've had 90 min missions take 45 min and 60 min missions take 120 min. After you playa few missions you can get a better idea of time by looking at what the mission is doing. I think this one can be hard to judge times. So if you need something that you can easily tell the time this might not be the game.

I did find season ones times to be more accurate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thor0298 wrote:
Time I have found depends on two things. Your group and your draws. I've had 90 min missions take 45 min and 60 min missions take 120 min. After you playa few missions you can get a better idea of time by looking at what the mission is doing. I think this one can be hard to judge times. So if you need something that you can easily tell the time this might not be the game.

What would you say you think will be the average time span range for 6-12 players, or at least the 8-10 range, 60-120 minutes? Is there a general figure you can derive for how much play time is added per person? For example, the figure our group kind of uses for Twilight Imperium playtime estimates is 3 hours + ~1 hour per person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snarfel wrote:
thor0298 wrote:

What would you say you think will be the average time span range for 6-12 players, or at least the 8-10 range, 60-120 minutes? Is there a general figure you can derive for how much play time is added per person? For example, the figure our group kind of uses for Twilight Imperium playtime estimates is 3 hours + ~1 hour per person.

I've only ever played with 6 players/survivors and I'd say our games average 2 - 2.5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Hoover
United States
Edwards AFB
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i really want the doors option but don't want to wait until February or later to get them, do you think they will be available for purchase soon after the KS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DHoov wrote:
i really want the doors option but don't want to wait until February or later to get them, do you think they will be available for purchase soon after the KS?

None of the new stuff will be available at retail, at least, until they start to ship out our packages. And it is very likely that many things won't be easy to find or get. If it's something you really want, better pledge for it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fatty McButterpants
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see sleeves for the dashboards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.