GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,807 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

The Draugr» Forums » General

Subject: Playtesting Initial Thoughts for Version Released 07.14.2014 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fin coe
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Todd,

Been playing The Draugr for a couple of days now. It's a fun game, and the atmosphere of doom is top-notch. I have come to have a great and wary respect for Ivers.

A couple of my observations:

- I have been somewhat confused by the different ways you reference to #'s of Draugr. Most notable example: The Huntsman explicitly tells me that I can choose to target 1 or 2 Draugr. The Library, on the other hand, uses the term "any Draugr". When it says "any Draugr", should we read that as "any ONE Draugr", or "between any NUMBER OF Draugr"?

- Locations: For The Nunnery and The Foundry, do I have to stay and wait a full turn before getting my tokens, or do I add tokens to my supply STARTING the turn that I land on the card, and also on subsequent turns that I choose not to move?

- To clarify; when I move during the Hunt Phase, I can move 1 in any direction, 2 in any direction, or 1 diagonally (1 card on one axis, another card on the other axis), correct? Or do the rules mean that I must always move 1 diagonally? I think I'm correct, but the only example you give in the rules is the one involving a 90* turn.

- Counters: Perhaps I'm the only one with this problem, but since I'm always trying to plan a few moves in advance, but have to change my plan constantly, I often have difficulty in remembering or keeping track of which card I occupied the turn before, the card I cannot re-visit immediately. I just get so caught up thinking about my future plans that I forget the immediate past. Do you think maybe there could be a counter that follows the Hero counter around, occupying its previous spot as a reminder? Perhaps a Revenant or Renfield-like agent of the Draugr that is "pursuing" the Hero?

- Counters: Flipping the Townspeople is an easy way to immediately tell how close you are to losing, but it makes The Amoreuse card's power kind of hard to use. Also, since locations aren't flipped, it's not easy at a glance to see your exact number of corrupted cards. Perhaps replace a few of the corruption markers with CorruptED markers? One side for Townspeople (so you know their power cannot be used) and one side for Locations?

I have yet to beat the game, but I have come close, and some of the difficulty has come from a conservative (or plain forgetful) reading of the rules. I will keep playing and trying to save Stjordal. Thanks for your design work Todd!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for giving the game a try Fin. let's see what i can answer for you

1. yes that should be "any one Draugr". i'll amend the card so there isn't any confusion

2. yes you gain new tokens during the turn you first land on the location. you do not have to wait until the next turn to start gaining tokens

3. all movement is orthogonal (left, right, up and down) you may not move diagonally. moving two in any orthogonal direction is fine, it does not have to be a right angle move. you can indeed move in a straight line

4. i created this movement rule so a player could not simply loop in a favorable area (in essence the game's Ko rule as in Go). i had thought about an extra counter but then it is just one more thing to move and an additional piece for the game. you can of course home brew your own counter if you like

5. yes extra corrupt markers would be nice. i stripped things down for the game to a bare minimum. one can of course leave the 4 corruption markers on a card, or perhaps rotate it 180deg so it is upside down. that might actually be a better rule than flipping.

flipping was nice because of the Draugr in the coffin on the card backside as a visual bit of horror.

hope all this helps answers your questions.
making some changes now based on what you asked
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About corruption markers, I use some mosaic tiles and when the card is corrupted, I move the 4 markers in a "square" layout to the middle of the card :
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:

5. yes extra corrupt markers would be nice. i stripped things down for the game to a bare minimum. one can of course leave the 4 corruption markers on a card, or perhaps rotate it 180deg so it is upside down. that might actually be a better rule than flipping.

flipping was nice because of the Draugr in the coffin on the card backside as a visual bit of horror.

Hi Todd,

I keep some spacing between cards and rotate corrupted cards about 45° to the right.

Dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.