Subject: Noob question about Edge Battles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iain Mossman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I'm sure this will seem like a stupid question but my girlfriend and I are confused about edge battles...

It's maybe easiest if I explain with an example...

Say it's my turn and I have 3 unit cards that do not have any focus tokens on them and my girlfriend has 3 unit cards that also have no focus tokens on them.

I declare an objective that ONE of my units will attack, she declares ONE of her units to defend with. We have an edge battle that decides who attacks first and we resolve the conflict.

Next, (and here is where the trouble starts) I declare a 2nd objective that a unit of mine will attack and she declares a defender.

Do we have another edge battle, or do we just keep using the order determined by the first one we had?

To put it more simply, do you only have one edge battle per round or do you have an edge battle every time an objective is attacked?

I hope someone out there can help...

Thanks,

Iain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each turn can have up to three possible combat phases and each one is preceded by an edge battle. So yes, you'd have another edge battle. Keep in mind, you can only target each objective once each turn so your second attacker, if resolved separately from the first, would have to attack a different objective.

One strategy is to send weak attacker at a less important to draw out your opponent's cards and defenders before sending your big guns at the real focus of your attack only for your opponent to realize he or she is out of defenders and/or cards and therefore cannot effectively edge battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Birner
Germany
Bayreuth
flag msg tools
He's no good to me dead!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not limited to attack or defend with just ONE unit. You may declare as many unfocused units as you want to.

If you attack with 2 units and win the edge battle you decide which unit attacks first. Then the defender focuses his unit to strike. If your 2nd unit is still alive you have to go on with your attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone is trying to be too specific in their answers.

Simpler answer:

every time you declare an attack there is an edge battle.

iainmossman wrote:
Hi there,

I'm sure this will seem like a stupid question but my girlfriend and I are confused about edge battles...

It's maybe easiest if I explain with an example...

Say it's my turn and I have 3 unit cards that do not have any focus tokens on them and my girlfriend has 3 unit cards that also have no focus tokens on them.

I declare an objective that ONE of my units will attack, she declares ONE of her units to defend with. We have an edge battle that decides who attacks first and we resolve the conflict.

Next, (and here is where the trouble starts) I declare a 2nd objective that a unit of mine will attack and she declares a defender.

Do we have another edge battle, or do we just keep using the order determined by the first one we had?

To put it more simply, do you only have one edge battle per round or do you have an edge battle every time an objective is attacked?

I hope someone out there can help...

Thanks,

Iain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United States
Unspecified
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iainmossman wrote:

(Disclaimer: These are general rules which can be manipulated by the cards, but true most of the time.)

- There is one edge battle per engagement (0-3).
- You can have one engagement per enemy objective (0-3).
- You can have as many attackers per engagement as are "ready" (not exhausted with a focus token; exhausted, for example, from a prior engagement).

When you start the conflict phase you can pick an objective to engage. If you do, you must declare at least one attacker. Whether or not your opponent declares defenders there is an edge battle (but if there are no defenders, you automatically win; however you can still throw cards into that edge battle for their effects or if you wish to discard cards).

If there is a defender, the edge battle determines who strikes first. Then you alternate striking with your units after who has won the edge is determined for this ENTIRE engagement. After the completion of the engagement, you can start a new one against another objective that you have not already engaged. That engagement would have its own edge battle.

You do not do an edge battle for each individual unit striking within a single engagement.

Hope this helps, do not hesitate to ask for further clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Mossman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for all the speedy answers.

They really are helping me to get a grasp on the rules. (you'd think as a veteran of the versus ccg I'd be able to pick up the rules with less trouble!)

I think I have my head wrapped around edge battles now...

Thanks again!
Iain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ege Tunca
Turkey
istanbul
flag msg tools
Come to the dark side we got cookies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

First of all welcome to Star wars gaming

In my opinion best way to grasp the rules of the game is watching it played. Team Covenant makes great videos of regional games. They are very fun to watch (also you learn a lot from them).

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmHifZPFC_Jv9DnQRQZDtP...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.