Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
They just posted an update for the kickstarter for their app. There's now a 10-card Kickstarter-exclusive set.

It's $15 to get the 10-card set for your app, and $16 to get a hard copy for the set. $31 for both.

Personally, I think that price is ridiculous. I went ahead and canceled my pledge, as I'm not paying $31 for the cards (nor $15 for the digital versions), and the completionist in me can't get past the fact that I'm missing out on some of the stuff.

In fact, I wish I could return my copy of Core Worlds for the same reason, but I bought it long ago.

Ugh. Kickstarter exclusives aren't the best thing in the world, but they can certainly be done right. Something expensive shouldn't affect game play (e.g. alternate art cards), and something that does affect game play should be reasonably priced. These were definitely not done right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
They just posted an update for the kickstarter for their app. There's now a 10-card Kickstarter-exclusive set.

It's $15 to get the 10-card set for your app, and $16 to get a hard copy for the set. $31 for both.

Personally, I think that price is ridiculous. I went ahead and canceled my pledge, as I'm not paying $31 for the cards (nor $15 for the digital versions), and the completionist in me can't get past the fact that I'm missing out on some of the stuff.

In fact, I wish I could return my copy of Core Worlds for the same reason, but I bought it long ago.

Ugh. Kickstarter exclusives aren't the best thing in the world, but they can certainly be done right. Something expensive shouldn't affect game play (e.g. alternate art cards), and something that does affect game play should be reasonably priced. These were definitely not done right.

They did lower them each to $10, but I'm considering following your lead. Digital extra cards that cost twice what the application does? Ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They just posted that they changed the price to $10.

Regardless, I don't see how it should matter one way or the other. There are many games with mini or full sized expansions that I haven't gotten and the games still play quite well. I don't enjoy them any less just because there's other cards/pieces/rules that I don't have.

Buy the cards if you want to, ignore them if you don't. I don't see why giving more options that you are free to ignore should make your previous purchases bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Wait, there are physical cards in the digital KS? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, $10 for ten *digital* cards?

Thank you, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a huge disappointment. I really expected better of Stronghold, but maybe this was BrokenMyth's idea (it seems they're running the KS?). Either way, this is just feels... blech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCarty
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
Carrauntoohil
badge
Mt Whitney
mbmbmbmbmb
I pledged initially with an interest only in the physical rewards. I've since cancelled after deciding that the exclusive physical reward pledge bait just wasn't worth it.

For less than amount of a pledge with all the physical added rewards I can get the physical 97 card Revolution expansion and pick up the digital copy when it releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
frunkee wrote:
They just posted that they changed the price to $10.

Regardless, I don't see how it should matter one way or the other. There are many games with mini or full sized expansions that I haven't gotten and the games still play quite well. I don't enjoy them any less just because there's other cards/pieces/rules that I don't have.

Buy the cards if you want to, ignore them if you don't. I don't see why giving more options that you are free to ignore should make your previous purchases bad.

That's cool, dude. I wish I could be like you and have no foibles nor eccentricities.

Alas, I am imperfect, and the idea that there are exclusive components for a game that I will never be able to acquire (without paying extortionate prices on the secondary market) is a huge issue for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kengi wrote:
They did lower them each to $10, but I'm considering following your lead. Digital extra cards that cost twice what the application does? Ridiculous.

That's good, I suppose.

Still feels unreasonably high, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
That's cool, dude. I wish I could be like you and have no foibles nor eccentricities.

Alas, I am imperfect, and the idea that there are exclusive components for a game that I will never be able to acquire (without paying extortionate prices on the secondary market) is a huge issue for me.

I have plenty of foibles and eccentricities, but overreacting to changes in Kickstarters (particularly changes that don't alter what I'm getting) isn't one of them. If very few people buy these extra cards that will tell them that it was a bad move. Deciding that the whole project is wrong (and by extension the company and their other products) because they are offering something that you don't want at the price they are offering (and you aren't required to buy) doesn't seem quite right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frunkee wrote:
(particularly changes that don't alter what I'm getting)

And there's the rub.

This change doesn't affect what you're getting. For you, Core Worlds is a game that might have expansions and other content put out, which you may or may not buy depending on your own prerogative.

It does affect what I'm getting. For me, Core Worlds is a game that I can collect at reasonable expense and have everything for. Now that's no longer the case. By introducing this, they've actively ruined something I already own.

EDIT: Let me put it this way. I don't get sports. At all. I don't understand the fascination with them, I don't understand why people get so worked up about them, I don't understand why people get elated or depressed based on how some random people performed at some arbitrary event. I don't understand why anyone would care that Germany won the world cup, and the 7-1 score they had against Brazil is only interesting to me in its statistical anomaly (and even then, not really all that interesting).

All that said, I don't understand why sports affect people, but I understand that they do. I don't tell people that they're wrong for being depressed that their team lost. I accept that they have different priorities than I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You voted with your wallet. Exactly the right thing to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
And there's the rub.

This change doesn't affect what you're getting. For you, Core Worlds is a game that might have expansions and other content put out, which you may or may not buy depending on your own prerogative.

It does affect what I'm getting. For me, Core Worlds is a game that I can collect at reasonable expense and have everything for. Now that's no longer the case. By introducing this, they've actively ruined something I already own.

EDIT: Let me put it this way. I don't get sports. At all. I don't understand the fascination with them, I don't understand why people get so worked up about them, I don't understand why people get elated or depressed based on how some random people performed at some arbitrary event. I don't understand why anyone would care that Germany won the world cup, and the 7-1 score they had against Brazil is only interesting to me in its statistical anomaly (and even then, not really all that interesting).

All that said, I don't understand why sports affect people, but I understand that they do. I don't tell people that they're wrong for being depressed that their team lost. I accept that they have different priorities than I do.

You are free to do what you will with your money, so if you feel that Core Worlds is somehow tainted now then I can understand not supporting it. I never said you were wrong, just that there is other ways to look at it. I am surprised by the M:tG badge though, as that seems like a game that is tailor made to drive you crazy. I'm assuming you've collected every card that's ever been made?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frunkee wrote:
I am surprised by the M:tG badge though, as that seems like a game that is tailor made to drive you crazy. I'm assuming you've collected every card that's ever been made?

It's an M. It helps spell my name. The Atheist badge is the A, Babylon 5 check is the S, Magic is the M, Stargate is the O, and Rune Wars is the R.

Magic's an entirely different beast altogether. Although my collector mentality still asserts itself their, just differently. I collect the weird stuff in Magic... For example, I've got every plane and scheme from the Planechase and Archenemy products, including the promos. I've got all 10 of the commander decks they've put out, as well, and the vast majority of the duel decks.

I don't play Magic like most people. Actually, I don't really play magic at all... I think I've played it once this year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
frunkee wrote:
I am surprised by the M:tG badge though, as that seems like a game that is tailor made to drive you crazy. I'm assuming you've collected every card that's ever been made?

It's an M. It helps spell my name. The Atheist badge is the A, Babylon 5 check is the S, Magic is the M, Stargate is the O, and Rune Wars is the R.

Magic's an entirely different beast altogether. Although my collector mentality still asserts itself their, just differently. I collect the weird stuff in Magic... For example, I've got every plane and scheme from the Planechase and Archenemy products, including the promos. I've got all 10 of the commander decks they've put out, as well, and the vast majority of the duel decks.

I don't play Magic like most people. Actually, I don't really play magic at all... I think I've played it once this year?

Fair enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schmitt
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

For me, Core Worlds is a game that I can collect at reasonable expense and have everything for. Now that's no longer the case. By introducing this, they've actively ruined something I already own.

I feel your pain. I don't own Core Worlds yet so this doesn't bother me in this case, but this problem is basically what killed HeroClix for me.

I'm trying to adapt a similar attitude to what you have for Magic so I can go back to enjoying the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.