Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried this, but it occurred to me the other night while playing Small World that you could do something similar as SWs new race selection with TMs Bonus tile selection.

Instead of just having all the Bonus tiles available equally, you could place them in a set order. You could select the first in line for free or you could go to the next one and place a coin on the first (fee for bypassing) and take the 2nd and so on. Also, tiles not selected that round would have that extra coin placed on them as normal.

This could get expensive if there's a tile you really want that's four spaces down, but it would also balance out since you're likely to also get tiles that have money on them.

EDIT: Also, you could even have a race whose special ability is to ignore the bypassing fees when choosing--"The Misers" that look like those Gringotts Wizarding Bank goblins in Harry Potter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhett Morgan
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there enough $$ in games to make this viable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know; haven't tried it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhett Morgan
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know what you come up with. As it stands Alchemists would get a huge bump. Fakirs get even worse. Power for cash action becomes more important. Cash tiles don't make sense in this scenario. Point tiles become even more important and resource tiles are basically first come first serve - no reason to pay for a resource tile if it isn't on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ramus
msg tools
designer
Ora et Labora
badge
In Saecula Saeculorum
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intrigued.

It never occured to me to try something like this. But I would do the opposite, since the pure Small World stuff would just make Fakirs and a bunch of other factions unplayable. So, instead of asking players to pay for tiles, I would try first something like giving more money for some tiles.

So, the first tile gives you 2 coins, the second gives you 1 coin, and the third one gives no coin. I would not touch the setup bonus tiles distribution. An obvious downside of this would be the strenghtening of the first player's position in relation to some tiles.

For instance, the first to get the +2w tile would have it at a better position than the second player to get it.

Hmmm... I really don't know if I like this idea. Do you intend to playtest it anytime soon? I'm really intrigued!

P.S.: A second thing to consider is that this may increase luck in the game a bit. This is something I like in Small World (since there you can simply drop a failed race and move to a better one), but I'm not sure I would like it that much in Terra Mystica. Maybe playing with the new turn order (which is something I already do, but many are really reluctant about it) could nullify this new factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prodigaldax wrote:

I think this is the real problem here. You don't pay money in small world to skip races, you pay in victory points. I think for this variant to be viable, you need another set of markers. Any time you don't take the first tile you lose a point and a generic "point marker" is placed on the tile. Whenever somebody claims a tile with point markers, they gain that many points and the markers go away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Prodigaldax wrote:

I think this is the real problem here. You don't pay money in small world to skip races, you pay in victory points. I think for this variant to be viable, you need another set of markers. Any time you don't take the first tile you lose a point and a generic "point marker" is placed on the tile. Whenever somebody claims a tile with point markers, they gain that many points and the markers go away.

Indeed this variant seems to make more sense when pass tiles are bought with victory points.

* Initially randomize passing tile order
* First round pick is free
* After that if you pass, you must take one of tiles from the row like in small world and then place your tile to the back of the row

So if you want to take a tile which somebody just left you pay 2vp for it and worse tiles accumulate victory points instead of money.

Possibly you can include 1 extra passing tile in the game with this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhett Morgan
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with all the passing tiles would be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought for a minute you were going to suggest mash up races/classes and I was excited. Then, I saw that you were talking about bonus tile buys and I was disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prodigaldax wrote:
Playing with all the passing tiles would be interesting.

yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
debiant wrote:
I thought for a minute you were going to suggest mash up races/classes and I was excited. Then, I saw that you were talking about bonus tile buys and I was disappointed.

not sure how that could work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.