Hide
14 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Omen? Oh man! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morbaus Litchsmack
msg tools
Can someone explain the purpose of the eldritch token on the green comet space of omen track, it's part of set up I just can't find it in the rules
Obviously I'm very new thanks for reading

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysteries and encounters may use it (Azathoth). Also with the expansion there's an epic monster that loads them up on there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morbaus wrote:
Can someone explain the purpose of the eldritch token on the green comet space of omen track, it's part of set up I just can't find it in the rules
Obviously I'm very new thanks for reading

Note that the mention in the setup is referring specifically to Azathoth and the effects are on his cards. Putting an Eldritch token on the comet space is not a general part of setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
When Azatoth is the chosen Great Old One for your game session, everytime you advance to the Green Comet space on the omen track, you must advance doom by 1. Certain encounters may add additional Eldritch tokens on top of the one placed during setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch tokens are given purpose by components that reference them. Generally speaking, there are only two places you need to look to find out what Eldritch tokens mean:

A. The component that placed the token (usually rumors or mysteries)
AND/OR
B. The Ancient One

It's possible for an Eldritch token to have multiple effects. For example, Cthulhu adds an effect to tokens on the board. One of his mysteries adds tokens to the board and allows investigators to have encounters at tokens. That means that the tokens on the board (regardless of how they are added) have both Cthulhu's effect, and the mystery's effect, for as long as those components remain in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Most GOOs have an engine/mechanic that accelerates Doom somehow, the token is Azathoths (extra doom each time you lap the Oh Man wheel).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwijiboe wrote:
When Azatoth is the chosen Great Old One for your game session, everytime you advance to the Green Comet space on the omen track, you must advance doom by 1 for each Eldritch Token on that space. Certain encounters may add additional Eldritch tokens on top of the one placed during setup.

Bold part added for accuracy. If the number of Eldritch tokens changes, the amount of doom acceleration provided by the Green Comet changes with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the idea behind the mechanics, but the odds to make it happen is pretty thin.

I took a look at all the research encounter event and there is 1 event out of 24 that has an "add eldritch token to the omen track" effect, and 2 that removes an eldritch token.

The odds are way too thin and I imagine that in most games, that besides the starting token, no new token will be added.

There is also no reckoning effect or mystery card that plays with that mechanics. Which lets you wondering why did they bothered placing such rule in the first place.

This could probably be fixed by adding more cards to that ancient one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:

This could probably be fixed by adding more cards to that ancient one.

They did, and it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time we played Azazoth we had 3 eldritch tokens on the comet and it was horrible yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morbaus wrote:

It's on the very same card that told you to put the eldritch token on the omen track.
Relevant sections highlighted below:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Last time we played Azazoth we had 3 eldritch tokens on the comet and it was horrible

Did you have the forsaken Lore expansion, because with so few events that add tokens, you might have need to cycle the deck 2 times.

But now that you screenshot the card, you made me ask another questions.

According to the text, when the omen track reach the comet, you advance the doom track faster for each eldritch token. But Nothing say that those tokens are removed from the omen track. So the token should remain there until another event removes it right?

That would make much more sense as the starting token remain there from turn to turn. That would make encounters that remove those tokens useful too, with much more chances to have a token in play to remove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
That's right, they stay, and you may not remove them, until an event explicitly allows you to do so!
Advancing Doom is the Main Threat, when playing against Azathoth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it was due to Forsaken Lore cards. There's also an Epic Monster that can send things out of control pretty quickly if you get it early...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.