Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy do I still love Hanging Gardens. But I pretty much suck at it.

I understand that keeping the temples close together makes it easier to lay cards later. But should I not take the quick scores and instead build for bigger things? When I play on Yucata I see most people end up with a lot of bigger rows and they're beating me so maybe that's it.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny - I thought I was also decent at this game until I started playing on Yucata. Seems people go for the six square fields which is great, but limits the number of tiles you get over the course of the game. I am blown away by the scores sometimes too. Just as mystified as you are. Honestly there is not much I am good at on Yucata though - Carolus Magnus and Maori for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hall
United States
Marion
SC - South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In 2-player games, the primary skills are setting up 6ers without sacrificing scoring opportunities and denying opponents cards that help them. On Yucata, definitely pay attention to the cards (and tiles) left in the deck. Any empty block of three can become a 6er if a matching triple comes up and you can place it.

I rarely decline to score if I can unless tiles are really weak and it would really foul up my board. Usually it will be very early or very late if this happens.

As you've probably noticed, it helps to have large groups be mostly linear with a turn toward one end, so that you can cut off the temple and easily score the bulk of the group again.

I think the cool thing about this game is that, while both skills are relevant every game, some games will really reward strong defensive play and in other games lots of 6ers will be scored by both players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.