Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: Counter Attack Elite Talent Timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I've read the wiki and FAQ on the Romulan Counter Attack Elite Talent Card and didn't see this addressed (if it has been, my apologies)...

Am I understanding correctly that I must activate Counter Attack as my action in anticipation that I will be targeted and hit instead of using another action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Steiner
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
That is quite correct. You must spend an action to give the command to your bridge crew to fire back at the enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rangarth wrote:
That is quite correct. You must spend an action to give the command to your bridge crew to fire back at the enemy.

That is, to fire back at the enemy IF they fire at you, which at the time you spend the action, they haven't done yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's what I thought.

This card would be so much better if it didn't require an action. As it is, I don't see using it.

Has anyone else used it in game play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eris lulz
msg tools
Nope, not seen it even in 'silly' games with friends.

It would probably be better as a discard rather than an action. Tho I expect the card cost would be increased if that were the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Frazier
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have included it in several matches, since, if it goes off, it can be quite devastating. However, I have yet to have it work for me. It's a slippery bugger. Of course, it works best when your enemy has few to one target...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's best used to enforce Catch-22 targeting scenarios.

Example, my Borg Sphere has Feedback Pulse and my Gal Gath'Thong has an Interphase Generator, Plasma Torpedoes x 2 and used Counter Attack. Pick your poison there, but it's not going to be very effective regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used it early on in a couple builds but it is very difficult to use.

If anything it will deter an opponent from firing at that ship.

But, might it see new life in Collective OP2? Would be good for a double attack per round against the cube....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan S
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Put it on a tempting target and have Martok8 on another ship in the fleet - then Counter Attack is your free action. That gives you your catch-22.

I've used it effectively a few times on a Valdore that's done a green maneuver, better if it's also in range 1 of it's target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it used in combination with the Cardassian ships more than anything else. Those large fire arcs make it more useful. Combined with their ability to take a hit. It basically allows you to shoot back at someone who shoots at you and then take your normal attack when you turn comes around as well. Your best use is if you can position your ships so that the Counter attack ship is possibly the only one in range/fire arc for your opponent to shoot at. It makes the action much more worth the effort of taking. They have to debate if it worth it to even shoot at you and give you the chance to counterattack, or for them to forgo shooting at all.

It's not all that useful in competitive play due to it requiring and action, but it definitely has its uses in casual play. Nothing wrong with the ability for ship to shoot twice in one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Steiner
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
The easiest way to use it is on the Kraxon. When the Kraxon transfers damage from another ship to itself. It may counter-attack the attacking ship. It is a way for the Kraxon to capitalize on its ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rangarth wrote:
The easiest way to use it is on the Kraxon. When the Kraxon transfers damage from another ship to itself. It may counter-attack the attacking ship. It is a way for the Kraxon to capitalize on its ability.

I'm surprised it took 10 posts till the Kraxon was mentioned.

It also goes great on a single ship build. If you don't fire on my super Cube, I win. If you do fire on my super Cube, I win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Steiner
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Except you cant use Counter Attack Elite Talent with the cube or sphere. Neither have a forward firing arc......now on the Soong or Dominion Battleship/Cruiser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.