Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much discussion on play experiences here...

I had my first stab at a new warlord deck. Stuck with the orc, shoved in a bunch of new cards - and am hoping this weekend to work out how it performs in practice.

Was sorely tempted by the Statue of Talos altar, which seemed interesting as it could attract attacks that would otherwise come at your mage, but ultimately felt it would be too slow. I threw in a few others - construction yard, conquer, alchemist, the slavemaster guy etc - but unsure whether it addresses the fortress warlord's crippling vulnerability to rush decks.

What are people finding out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 2 games with the Anvil Throne Warlord, and I won both of them. In both games I tried an economic opening and my opponent was reasonably aggressive. In both cases my opponent could have been more efficient, and my build needed some refinement.

So far I think the Warlord is now much more on par with the other mages with the advent of FiF. Goblin Alchemist, Armory, and Hurl Rock are fantastic. I still haven't tried Altar of Domination.

There is some discussion of the new Warlord on the Mage Wars forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddard Stark
United States
Suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are quite a few spellbook designs for the new Warlord on the Arcane Wonders forums.

I've played the new Warlord twice now. One match I recorded, but came out pretty bad in quality.

Basically what I did was bring out Barracks and Construction Yard and then sealed off my half of the board. Then got out a 3rd outpost and proceeded to drop the Altar of Domination. Luckily I managed to get out Talos and MAN he is amazing. But I wouldn't imagine him coming into play all that often.

What I can say on a more reliable basis is that Hurl Rock, the Alchemist, Construction Yard, the Armory, and the Wall of Earth are all AMAZING cards for the new Warlord. Oh and Akiro's Favor. That's a good card for any Mage really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played as warlord today versus my son's wizard.

A couple of cards in this set made a huge difference - the armory is a game changer, as is the orc sergeant, whose presence on the field makes battle orders a useful mechanic for the first time.

The soldier ring (1 mana off sodiers) is also great. I also deployed a construction yard, but didn't make as much use of it as I would have hoped... in the end not worth my investment, but that was just the game at hand.

Basically I swarmed my son - but then got too greedy too soon, and he polished me off with a reverse magic (fool! why did I hurl stone!), and a thunderbolt. If he hadn't, I would have killed him on the next attack.

Fun game.

(PS There definitely should have been an extra barracks provided in this set, to allow warlord vs warlord. A significant oversight.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reverse Magic cannot reflect Hurl Rock or any other attack spell. It only triggers when the creature is targeted by an enemy's enchantment or incantation spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdougla2 wrote:
Reverse Magic cannot reflect Hurl Rock or any other attack spell. It only triggers when the creature is targeted by an enemy's enchantment or incantation spell.

o-o

Well, I'll let my son think he won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reverse Attack on the other hand...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdougla2 wrote:
Reverse Attack on the other hand...

Oh.. I had never thought of reverse attack as a spell reflect card, but I guess it is. Very powerful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.