Subject: Test Bonuses rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that I am only able to add the highest test bonus in say a strength test during combat.

What is the theme behind not being able to wither and double barrel shotgun though...seems in this case I should be able to get the strength bonuses of both...or can I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't disappear down the rabbit hole of thematic justification! For every such justification there is a counter, just suspend disbelief and play it as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Don't disappear down the rabbit hole of thematic justification! For every such justification there is a counter, just suspend disbelief and play it as it is.

Yes, I agree, but when the game IS theme...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the game where you can only use one bonus card of each type? Is it this one?

Sorry, I have played too many games when they start to mix up in mah head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you are right, you just get one.

Casting Wither while holding your double barrel shotgun could have devastating effects on the shotgun. It's in the guide that came with the shotgun, also remember to clean both barrels regularly in order to prevent jamming or misfires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't matter the type. Your dice pool consists of your base attribute, improvement token, and ONE other bonus. (Rerolls and dice changers don't count as bonuses).

This is more about simplicity, consistency, and balance rather than theme. If you want to allow stacking bonuses, you need a consistent rule - is it based on card type, traits? If you use traits, what about a Weapon/Item and another Item that is not a weapon? It just adds confusion and it is another detail to remember.

Thematically, you have to use both of your hands and concentrate intensely to cast a spell. You can't cast it while aiming a shotgun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
dlikos wrote:

Yes, I agree, but when the game IS theme...

Boardgame does not equal Novel.

If that does not satisfy, I will be glad to write some Cthulhu/Nyarlathotep fic that address the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
You got a shotgun! Leave the finger waggling to the casters or something.
(That said, some backside effects of Wither may be useful even if you have an otherwise better weapon)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
I understand that I am only able to add the highest test bonus in say a strength test during combat.

What is the theme behind not being able to wither and double barrel shotgun though...seems in this case I should be able to get the strength bonuses of both...or can I?

You want a thematic justification?

Okay, first consider the time scale. When you sail across an ocean or take a cross-country railroad trip in the 1920s, what sort of time scale do you think you are on - the combat round measured in minutes or a much longer time scale?

Now that we have time scale in mind, what do you think the horror and combat checks represent - a simple combat round when encountering a creature briefly, or a series of escalating encounters that would be written up in a short story (or a chapter of a book)?

In the view of a long, extended series of encounters (a Warlock that follows you on the train, stalking you while using his dark magics and minions to sabotage your efforts to reach India in time to find the source of this global plague) what do combat bonuses represent? Perhaps in one battle you use both, in a another you use one or the other. However, only the most successful and damaging attack has any lasting meaning. Yes, you might have killed minions with a shotgun and even shot the warlock, but it was your Withering spell that truly hurt him and left him limping back home - and that is when you called in your friend the psychic from the Midwest who hunted him down in Rome and finished him off... and that is when the Vatican called her in to help with a foul temple.

-------------------------------------------

Okay, here is a short version. I see a Shoggoth and I blast it with a shotgun. What good do you think going in and then stabbing it with a knife is going to do? Am I somehow going to hit my shotgun wounds and make them worse, or am I just going to give it a bunch of tiny wounds that are insignificant to the gaping holes I just made. If I use my foul magics to Wither your soul and leave you crippled, is it really important that my hired muscle beat you up a bit during that encounter also?

In other words, think of it as only the most damaging effect is important. It doesn't matter if I have a bunch of contusions when your magic blade drove through my femoral artery (and I am bleeding to death). Also, on a longer time scale, those minor wounds all get patched up quickly and thus only the most serious wounds hold meaning.

---------------------------------------------------

So, does that thematic explanation help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Archuleta
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The recoil from a shotgun will probably hurt your shoulder if you try to shoot it one-handed, and a spell would require both hands + lots of concentration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Lei
Hong Kong
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
what is the story behind casting a fish net on a monster and firing a double barrel shotgun at the same time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
revolution.hk wrote:
what is the story behind casting a fish net on a monster and firing a double barrel shotgun at the same time?

Easy, you throw the net on the monster with two hands and impressive dexterity. While it struggles out of the net you take your trusty shotgun out, you carefully aim for the softer tissue and calmy pull the trigger with a big grin on your face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Marble
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
andrewbwm wrote:
revolution.hk wrote:

Easy, you throw the net on the monster with two hands and impressive dexterity. While it struggles out of the net you take your trusty shotgun out, you carefully aim for the softer tissue and calmy pull the trigger with a big grin on your face.

Like shooting fish in a... net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Corvid
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Doesn't matter the type. Your dice pool consists of your base attribute, improvement token, and ONE other bonus. (Rerolls and dice changers don't count as bonuses).

Don't forget 'additional dice'. IIRC those don't count as bonuses and they do stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im wondering about this too. DOnt got the rules in front of me so cant quote directly, but I remember reading the rule that if you had cards that added a permanent bonus (giving +1 to strenght without saying its only used in combat encounters) then you could use that AND a weapon (that only gives you the bonus for the combat encounter) - which I understand like I can use an ally and a weapon at the same time.

Still wondering if its correct or not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pouvla wrote:
Im wondering about this too. DOnt got the rules in front of me so cant quote directly, but I remember reading the rule that if you had cards that added a permanent bonus (giving +1 to strenght without saying its only used in combat encounters) then you could use that AND a weapon (that only gives you the bonus for the combat encounter) - which I understand like I can use an ally and a weapon at the same time.

Still wondering if its correct or not...

No, those would both be bonuses, and you only use the highest one.
Balance-wise, the strength ally would be way too powerful if his bonus stacked with combat-only strength bonuses. He's good enough even if you only use him in non-combat encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.