Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am new to Sentinels (soloed it three times already, very interesting and immersive solo game) and have troubles with the

Embolden card in fanatic's deck.

You play the card onto another hero giving him an additional power - COOL. Then the card reads:

"At the end of that hero's turn, fantatic _MAY_ deal them 2 radiant damage. If they take no damage this way, destroy this card."

Now may question is why should the fanatic player deal these two damage to a hero? Does the card get discard when she does refuse to do the damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Booth
United States
California
flag msg tools
It's a cost to pay to get the benefit of using an additional power. If Fanatic doesn't want to deal that damage, or if she can't because the target is immune to it somehow, the benefit goes away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Uhrig
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Now may question is why should the fanatic player deal these two damage to a hero? Does the card get discard when she does refuse to do the damage?

I say your interpretation is correct. Deal 2 radiant damage or discard the card. So you're gonna take damage if its something you want to use for a few turns, then discard it when your HPs get low. Using 2 powers on your turn has a cost....

Been awhile since I've played SotM, I assume 'destroy' = discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uhrigb01 wrote:
Been awhile since I've played SotM, I assume 'destroy' = discard.

afaik: discard discards a card from your hand, destroy discards a card in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, after reading the sentence again and again like a mantra, I do get the understanding that the card gets discarded if the attack is not done. Thanks for helping out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love to Embolden myself when playing with the Redeemer Fanatic Promo and have Absolution in play. Its so good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Embolden is also great for Scholar once he is set up to deal damage. With BWYN and at least one Solid to Liquid and at least one Mortal Form to Energy, Scholar gets a ton of free damage that he can deal out. Not to mention, you need some way to guarantee that Scholar takes damage, or he can't do damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's a cost to pay to get the benefit of using an additional power. If Fanatic doesn't want to deal that damage, or if she can't because the target is immune to it somehow, the benefit goes away.

There are similar cards in other decks (which require you to pay a cost to keep an ability in power, or you can decline to pay and destroy the card).

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The original wording was much more clear: "Destroy this card or Fanatic deals that hero 2 radiant damage." The wording was changed because under the old wording, if you tried to deal the damage but failed (e.g. because the emboldened hero was immune to that type of damage or because Fanatic could not deal damage), Embolden would stay out for free.

Personally I liked the old version a lot better. Under the old version, you occasionally get to skip the small 2 HP cost, which doesn't matter much for balance purposes because 2 HP isn't much but is really fun when it happens. Under the new version, instead you have anti-combos (can't use Embolden on Ra while he has Imbued Fire and Flesh of the Sun God out) and sometimes randomly lose your stuff when a one-round "cannot deal damage" effect comes out, neither of which is especially fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fahbs2000 wrote:
Another Fanatic question: how does her aegis of protection card work?

Say she's at 1 health and is dealt 5 damage while she has the card in play. Does she go down to -4, then heal up to 10? Or does she go to zero, then up to 10, then does the remaining four for a final health of 6?

She goes to -4 then gets healed to 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
But... it says "MAY" cause damage. The way this is worded it seems that Fanatic has the opportunity to deal 2 damage, and if this is prevented, the card goes away, OR, (because of the 'MAY') just do nothing and the card stays.

Again... why would you word it this way?!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I Has a Stick! A Tiny Green Stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
Icedanno wrote:
But... it says "MAY" cause damage. The way this is worded it seems that Fanatic has the opportunity to deal 2 damage, and if this is prevented, the card goes away, OR, (because of the 'MAY') just do nothing and the card stays.

Because other wording would not allow Fanatic to skip her damage and voluntarily give up Embolden. You have to read the cards like they are software code, not conversations with a human.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Icedanno wrote:

"May" is used to note that the player has a choice in the matter. Without "may" the damage being dealt would not be optional.

In either case, if damage is not done, Embolden is destroyed.

The wording is pretty clear. Just gotta read everything as literally as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.