Scotland Yard» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mr X moving to the location of a detective rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AndyJ Baddice
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Belatedly come to this game. My question is: can Mr X move onto a spot occupied by a detective? I have the Ravensburger edition and the rules state "The game finishes if a detective arrives at the location occupied at that time by Mr X", and so Mr X has lost the game. I cannot find a rule to explain what happens if Mr X arrives at the location of a detective.
I hope the answer is that this would also mean that Mr X has lost because from my one play so far it was incredibly easy for Mr X to evade the detectives (there were three of them) and it would be easier still if he had the option of moving onto a space occupied by a detective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr X can't move through or onto a location occupied by a detective. That's how I remember it from my copy but haven't got it with me to confirm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the 1985 rules and by them IIRC if Mr. X is forced to move onto the space of a detective, he loses. Moving through without stopping is allowed but an optional rule is listed to disallow this as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baddice wrote:
My question is: can Mr X move onto a spot occupied by a detective?

Yes, Mr. X can do that ... but he immediately loses!
(As pointed out above, that may be the only choice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see it being really easy to evade the detectives if you are only playing with 3. I guess that was a rule change between different versions, but in my version it says to always use all 5 detectives, just split them up between the detective players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
I could see it being really easy to evade the detectives if you are only playing with 3. I guess that was a rule change between different versions, but in my version it says to always use all 5 detectives, just split them up between the detective players.

I don't see how not having all detectives in play could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AndyJ Baddice
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
zenpunk wrote:

I don't see how not having all detectives in play could work.

Certainly the game didn't work with three detectives, as I said, Mr X was never in danger of being caught. But the Ravensburger edition doesn't say use all the detectives however many players there are, it says "One player becomes Mister X. The remaining players are detectives". The one concession to the number of detectives is that Mr X gets "as many black tickets as there are detectives".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've owned this game since I was 12 and I am fast approaching 41. In that time, I have played this game as often as I was able to. So I know how to play both sides. The detectives have to hem Mr. X in using logic and cooperation. The detectives have to cover all the possibilities and still hemming Mr. X in is difficult. In most games I've played it comes down to knowing roughly where Mr. X is at the end. Mr. X then tries to drain the detectives of tickets to get them out of the running but in the process of the end-game typically at some point one of three scenarios will happen:
1. The detectives will know exactly where Mr. X is but just can't quite get to him.
2. The detectives will know Mr. X can be in one of 2 or 1 of 3 places and cannot cover them all; then Mr. X hopes to outguess the detectives and vice-versa. Whoever does the out-guessing will win.
3. Mr. X is surrounded by detectives on all sides with nowhere to go. If one plays with the basic rules, sometimes Mr. X will be able to move through a detective and get out of the trap. That is why I favor the rule to preclude moving through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AndyJ Baddice
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
In most games I've played it comes down to knowing roughly where Mr. X is at the end. Mr. X then tries to drain the detectives of tickets to get them out of the running but in the process of the end-game typically at some point one of three scenarios will happen:
1. The detectives will know exactly where Mr. X is but just can't quite get to him.
2. The detectives will know Mr. X can be in one of 2 or 1 of 3 places and cannot cover them all; then Mr. X hopes to outguess the detectives and vice-versa. Whoever does the out-guessing will win.
3. Mr. X is surrounded by detectives on all sides with nowhere to go. If one plays with the basic rules, sometimes Mr. X will be able to move through a detective and get out of the trap. That is why I favor the rule to preclude moving through.

Is that using all five detectives?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes of course it is; that's all my rules say to ever do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Of course" is a bit presumptuous, because not everyone has the same version of the rules as you. This game has been reprinted many times across multiple publishers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
"Of course" is a bit presumptuous, because not everyone has the same version of the rules as you. This game has been reprinted many times across multiple publishers.

Except I've said from my first post tht that was the rules set I was using, I thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AndyJ Baddice
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It does seem rather extraordinary that some publishers can produce such flawed versions of the rules. In my Ravensburger edition if playing with four people there would be only three detectives and the game doesn't work. Or maybe I'm being naive in thinking that's extraordinary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly all too many publishers with great games can't leave well enough alone until they screw it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not mentioned in the 2013, but it does quite clearly state that:

Quote:
All playing pieces can only be moved to unoccupied stations. If there are not unoccupied stations for Mister X to travel to, he has lost the game. Mister X also loses if either a detective or a Bobby moves to the station where Mister X is located.

So since Mister X cannot move to the location of a detective, he cannot lose that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robmcarthur2001 wrote:
It's not mentioned in the 2013, but it does quite clearly state that:

Quote:
All playing pieces can only be moved to unoccupied stations. If there are not unoccupied stations for Mister X to travel to, he has lost the game. Mister X also loses if either a detective or a Bobby moves to the station where Mister X is located.

So since Mister X cannot move to the location of a detective, he cannot lose that way.

Wrong. He has to move. If he has no other option, he loses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.