Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a Facebook group, which is dead.

There are some threads on the official forum, which are dormant.

My FLGS in Aldershot barely realizes this game exists. (It's all about Netrunner, Magic, X-wing etc.)

And yet, the expansions continue and people seem to be buying.

There are clearly fans of this game in this country.

What's going on?

(Any players or would-be players around the Surrey Hampshire borders?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ross
Ireland
Cork
Ireland
flag msg tools
The mysteries about how we evolved should not distract us from the indisputable fact that we did evolve. -- Jerry A. Coyne
badge
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. -- E E Cummings
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is anyone playing in the UK?
Seems a shame that the game doesn't have an active pool of players for you to meet in your immediate locale. Still, those other games you mentioned are some big hitters, if the bgg top 100 is anything to go by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brett
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Mage Wars Ambassador covering the Bristol / Cardiff area, it's taken a few months to establish a player base in Bristol, now players that already have MW are regularly turning up at my LFGS and I'm running an OP kit there now.

But anyone could do this, why not speak to you LFGS and see if they have a board games night or space at one of their other gaming nights, put up a notice on their FB etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news about your activity.

I do think it would be helpful to have a national group where people could discuss events and playing opportunities.

Of course, that also requires active curation, and I admit that's not something I can do.

But I am sure there are lots more potential players out there. A number of people in my games group have the game or are interested... It's just creating that sense of moment that gets people to get interested in xpacs and regular play that needs a boost.

Re my games shop, I am sure if a ready made player base appeared they'd be delighted to support. But for some reason it's not something they feel motivated to push on their own account. Perhaps the incentives aren't right...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I run a small drop-in centre that works a bit like a FLGS, and I love Mage Wars, but can't get anyone to play other than lending them my set(s) and playing occasionally - and occasional play doesn't work well, as it doesn't give the players time to get into the game. And Magic, (which I don't play) unfortunately dominates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yetikeeper wrote:
Still, those other games you mentioned are some big hitters, if the bgg top 100 is anything to go by.

If bgg top 100 is anything to go by, Mage Wars should be going gangbusters. It's neck and neck with X-wing, and above MTG (although to be fair MTG fans don't really come here).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's MtG. Seriously. Every game store I've been to in my area has about 1/5th of it devoted to MtG; most every day of the week is MtG day.

The stores get WAY more profit for wealthy little MtG players, eager to buy their next win, than they ever would from MW. :/

Mention Mage Wars in front of anyone in the store that plays MtG, and it's like suggesting to elderly republicans that maybe global heath care is better than the current "I'll trade your house for saving your life" system . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ibbett
msg tools
I am based in London - have real trouble finding people to play with but it's an awesome game (fed up with MtG!). Anyone want a game in London area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey gang,

I'm the VP of Business Development for Arcane Wonders. First, I'm glad to here there is an interest to play our great game. It's communities of players coming together that make playing the game all the more fun!

It sounds as though the challenges are timing for those interested to take lead in an ambassador type role and the interest level of the store(s) to take lead and drive the community.

That said, how can I help here? We do have Organized Play Kits available through distributors worldwide that cover 8 weeks of play, but in most cases, do require someone to be the "leader" or "organizer" of the events.

If someone wants to send me a geek mail with locations of stores they are interested in playing at, I can see if we have ambassadors nearby, and if so, can put them in touch with the stores. Ambassadors are volunteers for us that can take on that role, where and when possible.

Additionally, if it's a matter of "Advertising" that the store has Mage Wars available or is looking for new players, we're always happy to work with the stores to look at creating some creative marketing ideas... for example, we have done custom posters for stores to print out, that have our game information on it and their store's logo on it as well.

Net-net, I'm happy to help. Feel free to email me at ScottMorris{at}ArcaneWonders{dot}com anytime, or through geekmail and we can chat.

Thanks,
Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark - apart from providing you with an opponent this evening (great game) I have been doing my bit since you pointed me at the game. I have been championing the game at Epsom and you would now find ready opponents at the club in the form of Steve (bought his own copy), Russell, Will and myself.

Others have also expressed an interest - Roy, Steve, Dave and Gareth.

So anyone in the Epsom area wanting to play Mage Wars on a Thursday evening should have no trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
Hi Mark - apart from providing you with an opponent this evening (great game) I have been doing my bit since you pointed me at the game. I have been championing the game at Epsom and you would now find ready opponents at the club in the form of Steve (bought his own copy), Russell, Will and myself.

Others have also expressed an interest - Roy, Steve, Dave and Gareth.

So anyone in the Epsom area wanting to play Mage Wars on a Thursday evening should have no trouble.

Great news. I am already plotting my revenge.

It's worth the drive to play this game... I may go for a regular Thursday session!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Chipperfield
Norway
Bergen
Hordaland
flag msg tools
I live in Norway but I do often find myself traveling to the Croydon area for work. I'm not sure when I'm next in the UK but I could always fit a spellbook in my hand luggage :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.