Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching Rahdo's Run Through this game seemed great! I couldn't believe so many of my favorite game mechanics all ended up in one game. But, I have my concerns!

I love deck building games like Legendary and Pathfinder ACG. I also love hidden role/character games like Bang! and Battlestar Galtica. I really enjoy thematic games that have a story-like feel, games like Last Night on Earth, A Touch of Evil, Eldritch Horror.

But, my concern is the complexity of this game. The weight seems to tend towards medium to medium heavy. Of those games I listed above most of them are light to medium light. My game group and myself tend to enjoy games with low complexity but lots of depth. I played Eminent Domain last night and it was okay, but I feel as though it would be an epic fail in my game group. I'm trying to discern if this game would get play time in my game group. Probably, the most complicated game we play is Suburbia or Last Will.

Any thoughts to help me out!?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
It's not that the game is difficult as such. It is just full of small rules and tons of exceptions to keep track of. There's no doubting it being a Wallace game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you saying that EmDo seemed more complicated than other games you mentioned? I was confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I obviously don't know you, but based on the games you list, I would recommend you take a pass on Study.

I have taught the game several times, and I can tell you it is not easy to teach, though once players get the flow, it's not that difficult. Mind you, I tend to game with people who enjoy heavier Euros, and while I would describe Study as neither a Euro nor heavy, it is decidedly not easy going.

The main issue new players have with the game is not necessarily the rules, it's the way many of the cards interact with the gaming environment. Working through this can be fairly daunting for the first couple of games.

All of that having been said, if I haven't frightened you off, Study is one of the most interesting, unique, and fun games I've ever played. It was very much worth the effort for me to work through the game, and I've been rewarded with several great sessions. Every game is a different experience and feels very story-like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say this game is probably not for you or your game group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd pass based on your description of your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like my gut feeling was confirmed. I may try to convince someone at my FLGS to buy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games you list, I wouldn't consider it any more complicated than BSG. I would definitely recommend trying it out before you buy it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Toxic
United Kingdom
Belper
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep, we found it about the same complexity as BSG. Great game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Thomas has covered the thrust of it.

The problem is, since it had a limited run and might never see another printing, it'd be a shame to pass it by.

In its favour, the theme is strong and it probably helps to tell people that it can be somewhat chaotic, so to 'enjoy the ride' for the first few games rather than trying to get deep and tactical. Even the hidden role element isn't 'balanced'.

It's a game that gradually reveals itself as you play, as you learn to appreciate all the mechanical levers you can pull. The actual playing itself helps to simplify things, since you can only perform two actions a turn, and those are dictated by your hand of cards. Getting too analytical and trying to plan some grand strategy could mean you're not paying attention to what other players are doing.

I wouldn't write it off as a lost cause, because I don't think it's beyond learning. There will be subtleties and nuances that players miss first time around, but if you give them the jist of what to do, the first game should be alright. There are handy player aid cards (I printed extras) that list all the available actions, so it can be helpful to go through those and explain each one before starting.

Maybe get everyone to take a gander at the rulebook, which I think can be found in the Files section, and let you know what they think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Drange
Norway
Kristiansand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that if you yourself know the game properly before teaching it to the others and they are willing to learn some of the details as you play, you'd be fine. The basic principles are easy to understand once you start playing.

Fun game, so worth the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your preferences, I would say that you really need to try it.

If your game group cannot handle it, its time to sacrifice them to Cthulhu and find a new group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A buddy of mine bought it. I love it and could see it getting some play time in my group. Takes a lot to explain and every card has a needed description in the rule book, but lots of variety. Love it, considering the purchase some more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.