Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
File is now up at:

http://asmadigames.com/RedPrintAndPlay.pdf

PATCH NOTES RED v1.0

-Added Card Backs
-Color update: Green is now "Most Even Cards"
-Color update: Violet is now "Most cards below 4"
-Card draw when both playing and discarding a card has been eliminated.

-Scoring Rules split off into ADVANCED RED:
*In Advanced Red, you cannot discard a card if it is lower than the number of cards in your palette.
*When you win a round, you score your winning group of cards (i.e. for Red, your highest card, for Violet, all your cards below 4), and play multiple hands to try and reach a score

-Optional Actions:
-The 1, 3, 5, and 7 now have action icons. When you play (not discard) such a card, a mandatory action occurs:
*7: Discard another card from your palette (must be a legal discard, it changes the rule)
*5: Play another card from your hand.
*3: Draw a card.
*1: Take a card from an opponent's palette, and place it face down on top of the deck.
-Optional Actions can be played with either the Base or Advanced Red rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah I just finished my pnp of the last one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
So, without playing with the action, the regular Red game will never drawing a card, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the new art, especially the card backs! Can't wait to try the new and advance rules. Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Meenachan
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
KILLER QUEEN: BITES THE DUST!
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes, the mandatory actions add some nasty randomness. I always feel queasy when I see rules like "take/swap a card with an opponent"...I'll withhold final judgment until I try it, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, when will it be ready to buy? I also just just finished the PnP copy of v.999. I don't want to spend more money on ink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
eunoia wrote:
So, without playing with the action, the regular Red game will never drawing a card, yes?

Correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Funguy wrote:
Okay, when will it be ready to buy? I also just just finished the PnP copy of v.999. I don't want to spend more money on ink.

We are aiming to have a short run (100-250) by Gen Con. Full printing this fall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheKillShirt wrote:
Yikes, the mandatory actions add some nasty randomness. I always feel queasy when I see rules like "take/swap a card with an opponent"...I'll withhold final judgment until I try it, I guess.

Well, they are an optional rule. As far as randomness, I find they are actually a randomness decrease -- my plays in advanced w/ actions feel more strategic and planned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why remove the draw? It felt like a really good way to manage your hand by dropping cards you didn't really want with the hope of drawing better ones.

With that mechanic, I enjoyed coming up with an initial strategy and then filtering out the cards that didn't work and stopping when I had a good set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that you removed the change of highest card breaks ties in some games and lowest card others. Explaining that was difficult for a lot of people to grasp, however I quite enjoyed the thinking it made me do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:
I like that you removed the change of highest card breaks ties in some games and lowest card others. Explaining that was difficult for a lot of people to grasp, however I quite enjoyed the thinking it made me do.

Yeah, I was in a similar place with it when we dropped that rule -- It was interesting, but simply too clunky and difficult to explain/read.

As for removing the draw, it was a tough choice. A nice thing about Red, though, is that it's very easy to add in a simple optional rule here or there. The sudden death rule another poster mentioned (draw a card if your hand is empty), and draw if you play + discard are both potentials there.

I view the optional actions and house rules for Red kind of like the wild cards in Hanabi -- you can add them in for flavor once you've played a bunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
Funguy wrote:

We are aiming to have a short run (100-250) by Gen Con. Full printing this fall.

If you have any extra or save some for local pickup let me know. Thanks.
I don't want to paste it up a third time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
danlicata wrote:

Yeah, I was in a similar place with it when we dropped that rule -- It was interesting, but simply too clunky and difficult to explain/read.

As for removing the draw, it was a tough choice. A nice thing about Red, though, is that it's very easy to add in a simple optional rule here or there. The sudden death rule another poster mentioned (draw a card if your hand is empty), and draw if you play + discard are both potentials there.

I view the optional actions and house rules for Red kind of like the wild cards in Hanabi -- you can add them in for flavor once you've played a bunch.

I don't mind the 'don't draw' rule as much. It forces you to really plan out your hand without any random draws. However the random card draws can cause you to quickly rethink your strategy as well, not a bad thing IMHO. One thing it will do is make the previously quick rounds even quicker and reduce any player elimination down time.

I printed it out and hope to put it together this weekend for some play time.

edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Funguy wrote:
angelkurisu wrote:
Funguy wrote:

If you have any extra or save some for local pickup let me know. Thanks.
I don't want to paste it up a third time.

Yup, we will have them locally too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're playing with advanced rules and actions, what happens if you want to play a 7 when no card in your tableau is a legal discard? Is it forbidden, or do you play it and then let the discard effect 'fizzle'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't play a 7 if you can't make the discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
You can't play a 7 if you can't make the discard.

Say if I have 2, 3, 6 in front of me. I play a 7, now it's

2, 3, 6, 7

Can I discard 3 in the advance rule? or I'm limited by the number of cards in front of me (4), so I have to discard a card that's higher or equal to 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Discard another card from your palette. It must be a legal discard, as it becomes the new rule. This means you must be winning the new color’s game, and if playing Advanced Red, it must be at least as high as the number of cards remaining in your palette."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
"Discard another card from your palette. It must be a legal discard, as it becomes the new rule. This means you must be winning the new color’s game, and if playing Advanced Red, it must be at least as high as the number of cards remaining in your palette."

Thanks!

I miss the sentence when reading the rule

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.