United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the news...

The Quickstarter project for Aquasphere will run 10 days: from 7/21 to 7/31.

THAT'S THIS MONDAY!

So watch your email for a TMG newsletter on Monday announcing the launch, or just go search for it on Kickstarter, or subscribe to Aquasphere on BGG (I'm sure SOMEBODY will mention it here) so you don't miss out!

Since Aquasphere is an import and not an in-house design, I don't foresee any stretch goals or additional goodies being added. This is a short-run campaign to (a) determine how many copies to bring over to the US, and (b) get some up-front money to pay for doing so.

Time to start getting excited about this new Feld title! Oh, am I too late? Already excited? Well, time to start getting excited about actually getting it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you even need to put up a KS page with videos and stuff, or will it just an otherwise blank page with "Click here to back a Feld"?

Yep, just take my money. I want more Feldy goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Do you even need to put up a KS page with videos and stuff, or will it just an otherwise blank page with "Click here to back a Feld"?

I'm sure thre will be some video.

Probably Michael explaining what we're doing (importing Aquasphere for US distribution only), and why we're using Kickstarter to do it (two reasons: (1) to see how many copies to import, and (2) get up-front money to afford doing so), and explaining that it's a short run project, so there won't be stretch goals and other wildness associated with our in-house designs such as the recent Harbour (which just closed at 6,199 backers!).

10 days, no frills. Get your Feld-y goodness here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity:
Since you're importing the games (I guess from Germany?), isn't that problematic with regard to Kickstarter's rules on "rewards that the creator did not make"?

"All rewards must have been produced or designed by the project or one of its creators — no reselling things from elsewhere."

(https://www.kickstarter.com/rules/prohibited?ref=bggforums)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Can you share what the price will be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MiWi wrote:
Just out of curiosity:
Since you're importing the games (I guess from Germany?), isn't that problematic with regard to Kickstarter's rules on "rewards that the creator did not make"?

"All rewards must have been produced or designed by the project or one of its creators — no reselling things from elsewhere."

If Kickstarter is making money, they don't enforce their rules. Plenty of people use KS to import games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
MiWi wrote:
Just out of curiosity:

If Kickstarter is making money, they don't enforce their rules. Plenty of people use KS to import games.

*COUGH*Queen*COUGH*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
MiWi wrote:
Just out of curiosity:

*COUGH*Queen*COUGH*

But Queen isn't distributing for someone else. Those are their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MiWi wrote:
Just out of curiosity:

"Import" may be a misleading term. TMG is printing English language versions for US distribution. We need to know how many to print.

Generally speaking, in boardgames we refer to that as an "import" because we didn't design the game in house. But we're still producing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
I view TMG as a publishing PARTNER of Pegasus for the English editions of games. I am glad that TMG is gauging the market for Aquasphere to make sure they target the correct number of copies. One can assume it will sell like hotcakes, but why take the risk when a 10-day Kickstarter project can give you a lot of information on demand?

I do see where MiWi is coming from, but would also argue that if Kickstarter allows the projects, it makes sense for small businesses to use it if they choose to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ianoble wrote:
Can you share what the price will be?

I do not have that information offhand. I do know that it will be prominently displayed on the Kickstarter page next week though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
MiWi wrote:
Just out of curiosity:

"Import" may be a misleading term. TMG is printing English language versions for US distribution. We need to know how many to print.

Generally speaking, in boardgames we refer to that as an "import" because we didn't design the game in house. But we're still producing it.

Ok, I guess I indeed misunderstood "Import" and "how many copies to bring over to the US". Thanks for clarifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
framebrain wrote:
I view TMG as a publishing PARTNER of Pegasus for the English editions of games.

This probably sums it up pretty well.

Quote:
I am glad that TMG is gauging the market for Aquasphere to make sure they target the correct number of copies. One can assume it will sell like hotcakes, but why take the risk when a 10-day Kickstarter project can give you a lot of information on demand?

It's especially dangerous to assume something will sell like hotcakes based solely on the BGG crowd's enthusiasm.

When the project goes live, we will send a newsletter to the entire TMG list, including many BGGers and many non-BGGers, and though crowdsharing we will reach a lot of gamers that don't frequent BGG. That info is what will be the most helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MiWi wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
MiWi wrote:
Just out of curiosity:

Ok, I guess I indeed misunderstood "Import" and "how many copies to bring over to the US". Thanks for clarifying.

Even in-house designs are printed in China, and need to be 'brought over'...

Sorry for the lazy terminology - that's my bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph F
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this KS campaign is for US residents only? No Canada?

sedjtroll wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

I'm sure thre will be some video.

Probably Michael explaining what we're doing (importing Aquasphere for US distribution only), and why we're using Kickstarter to do it (two reasons: (1) to see how many copies to import, and (2) get up-front money to afford doing so), and explaining that it's a short run project, so there won't be stretch goals and other wildness associated with our in-house designs such as the recent Harbour (which just closed at 6,199 backers!).

10 days, no frills. Get your Feld-y goodness here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
MiWi wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
MiWi wrote:
Just out of curiosity:

Even in-house designs are printed in China, and need to be 'brought over'...

Sorry for the lazy terminology - that's my bad.

Seth,
Can you explain to me why an industry GIANT like Queen, feels it is necessary to use Kickstarter as their battle matrix?

Seems to me, after spending some time in the games industry, that Queen can certainly afford to use other means to gauge U.S. interest other than software that is really set up to help the smaller or first time publisher.

Sorry to all if this "grates", but what is next EA Kickstarter? Activision Kickstarter? Oh... I can't wait for the Fantasy Flight Kickstarter campaigns to start....
Ridiculous!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McGuit wrote:
Seth,
Can you explain to me why an industry GIANT like Queen, feels it is necessary to use Kickstarter as their battle matrix?

He didn't say they needed to. And if he did, he'd be speculating.

McGuit wrote:
Seems to me, after spending some time in the games industry, that Queen can certainly afford to use other means to gauge U.S. interest other than software that is really set up to help the smaller or first time publisher.

The same could be said for TMG, but whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
McGuit wrote:
what is next EA Kickstarter? Activision Kickstarter? Oh... I can't wait for the Fantasy Flight Kickstarter campaigns to start....

I think we'd all be quite surprised to see the economic scale differences between EA and Queen Games, or even Activision vs Fantasy Flight. Our hobby is a pretty niche market still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "Father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave I've been asking that question for over 2 years. I'm with you it pisses me off.

IMO Kickstarter should be for the little guys like Small Box Games who needs the up front capital to get to the printer.

I'm guessing they are trying to cash in on the hype aka free advertising that KS seems to generate.

Edit: tablet run on mega word
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that missed the point.
Queen is a big player in this industry.
I've seen many of my friends get squeezed out of Kickstarter based on the noise created by larger publishers.

Look, IMHO, Kickstarter is there to help out those that could not raise money by other means and now it is a giant cluster of everyone jumping on board.

I'm thinking (and damn me if you will) that Queen has the means to bring the latest Stephen Feld game to the U.S. market without worrying about losing their shirt (there are after all other distributors that would or could carry the heavy load.)

Oh, and I did not see that they were considering this option.
I saw that is "this Monday...for a limited time...yada yada..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
hahnarama wrote:
Dave I've been asking that question for over 2 years. Im withnyounitnpisses me off.

IMO Kickstarter should be for the little guys like Small Box Games who needs the up front capital to get to the printer.

I'm guessing they are trying to cash in on the hype aka free advertising that KS seems to generate.

Thank you sir.
Glad someone got the point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
framebrain wrote:
McGuit wrote:
what is next EA Kickstarter? Activision Kickstarter? Oh... I can't wait for the Fantasy Flight Kickstarter campaigns to start....

I think we'd all be quite surprised to see the economic scale differences between EA and Queen Games, or even Activision vs Fantasy Flight. Our hobby is a pretty niche market still.

Excellent point.
I guess it is all about the size of the pond you are fishing in at the moment.
Yes, Queen games is not EA.
But, in our industry area.
They are a bigger player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McGuit wrote:
Seth,

I know absolutely nothing about Queen Games and their situation, so I absolutely cannot comment on their stance on using Kickstarter.

Quote:

When you buy a car, do you pay cash or do you finance? If you finance is it because you literally don't possess the money for the car, or because you don't want to be out of money?

Many people, when they buy cars, DO possess the money to buy them outright, and yet they finance anyway, for lots of very valid and useful reasons.

Likewise, even if Queen Games possesses the money to print a game and deliver it, that doesn't mean it's not a really good idea for them to crowdfund the printing of that game.

Kickstarter is a tool, and as I've said before, it seems there are people who get bent out of shape when someone uses that tool "incorrectly." I have always wondered if those same people get bent out of shape when they see someone pry out a staple with a screwdriver, or tap in a nail with anything other than a hammer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Likewise, even if Queen Games possesses the money to print a game and deliver it, that doesn't mean it's not a really good idea for them to crowdfund the printing of that game.

Kickstarter is a tool, and as I've said before, it seems there are people who get bent out of shape when someone uses that tool "incorrectly." I have always wondered if those same people get bent out of shape when they see someone pry out a staple with a screwdriver, or tap in a nail with anything other than a hammer.

My mistake, I assumed you worked for Queen in some capacity based on what I read. I do apologize.

Do stand by my original assessment.
Larger companies (Like Queen) as squeezing out friends of mine (smaller publishers) by trying to use crowd funding for sourcing when they obviously have the funds to print a game.

To carry your analogy forward.
If someone finances a car when they have the money, it does not create less "room" for those that have no choice but to finance.

When Kickstarter started, the concept was for those people that did not have other means to fund a project to reach out to the world at large and pitch their concept.

Now all these larger companies are pushing their marketing agendas at the expense of smaller others, because they want to hedge the bets they already made.

It just frosts me.

Hey if they don't want to be involved with Feld's latest, I'm sure someone would step up and take the bullet.

I might well be in the minority in this, but there it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boneshaker wrote:
So this KS campaign is for US residents only? No Canada?

Second Boneshaker's question, will this be available to Canadians?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.