Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an Arkham Location Encounter that moves me into the street as part of its effect. The Exhibit marker is in that street. Do I then also get an Exhibit Encounter?

I want to say yes because the rules say "during Arkham Encounters, if you are in the street with the marker..." but I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope - you only get one Encounter per Phase, unless an Encounter instructs otherwise. Or at least that's how I'd play it (didn't find a FAQ entry to cover it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Nope - you only get one Encounter per Phase, unless an Encounter instructs otherwise. Or at least that's how I'd play it (didn't find a FAQ entry to cover it)
There again, if you were moved to another Location and that Location had an Open Gate, you'd probably be drawn through wouldn't you? Hmmm... tricksy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, right?
Part of me wants to agree that you get only one encounter unless explicitly stated, as that is the most simple. But as you say, that's not actually in the rules or FAQ.
So I also want to not overthink things and just follow the phases...which brought me to my first idea that you actually do have an Exhibit encounter, as it is still "during Arkham Encounter phase".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I Has a Stick! A Tiny Green Stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
From the CotDP revised edition rulebook (rulesheet?);

"During the Arkham Encounters Phase, an investigator who is in a street area with the Ancient Whispers marker must have an Exhibit Encounter." (emphasis mine)

The listed exception to this is that only one Investigator per turn can have an Exhibit Encounter.

Thus, we require an Exhibit Encounter even if the Investigator was moved to the street by an Encounter, or is also using an Activty during the Encounter phase (such as servicing a rumor); if there is a Gate in the Street location (either opened by a previous Exhibit Encounter, or one of the Lurker "moto-gates") we allow the Investigator to choose whether they will enter the gate and be done, or have an Exhibit Encounter first.*

I don't have any official back up on this, but it's how we handle it. *shrug*

*You might think this is an obvious choice, but I have seen an Investigator skip the Encounter. There were five seals on the board; he possessed a Find Gate spell and sufficient clues; the moving Gate led to an Other World which had a matching double gate at Independence Square, heavily barricaded with monsters. He judged the Encounter a needless risk.

(He got LiTaS on his first Other World Encounter, but we all thought he made the wise choice. We did still win, but it took some time.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so that's one vote for no, and one for yes.

I'm inclined to go with Radulla's "yes, because that's just the way it's worded", as that was also the way I decided on it when it came up.

Thanks to both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
if there is a Gate in the Street location (either opened by a previous Exhibit Encounter, or one of the Lurker "moto-gates") we allow the Investigator to choose whether they will enter the gate and be done, or have an Exhibit Encounter first.
I think I would rule that gates always take precedence just like it does with a normal location encounter.
Strictly following the rules under "Phase III - Gate / No Gate" even though it's not actually in a location.
So no chance to do anything else if a gate is there.

With other stuff, like servicing a rumour asides from the Exhibit encounter, I would rule that the player can indeed choose, as it's all "during phase III".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I Has a Stick! A Tiny Green Stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:
I think I would rule that gates always take precedence just like it does with a normal location encounter.
Strictly following the rules under "Phase III - Gate / No Gate" even though it's not actually in a location.
So no chance to do anything else if a gate is there.

Excellent point... I believe we'll probably play this way in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're getting a few Exhibit Item questions these days...how nice! cool

I play it, by following the phases, that the Investigator will have an encounter in the Whisper Marker is present, as it's still the Arkham Encounter Phase.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daa1982
Canada
Ontario, Canada
flag msg tools
I do really like Exhibit encounters. I wish they came up in more in my games.

We used to have a house rule that Exhibit encounters could happen to more than just one investigator per turn to try and get more action from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.