Piña Pirata» Forums » General

Subject: Reviews rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I just want to encourage anyone who played the game to tpye up a review or even do one on video. I lot of us a looking to check this game out further, but not much is available.

I hope someone will do it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK.

Gimme a few minutes.

EDIT: Okay, got it. I was actually thinking about doing one, then I read this and decided to do one. It's submitted so it should be up in a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
Gimme a few minutes.

EDIT: Okay, got it. I was actually thinking about doing one, then I read this and decided to do one. It's submitted so it should be up in a little bit.

I've given you over 100,000 minutes. Still nothing.
It's on Black Friday sale. Thinking about it. Prolly gonna pass, but would have liked to see a review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got it and must say I disliked it.
Games drag on and the cards are not very clear even though they have very little information on them. I think the pictures are what drags it down most for me. It is a shame because the box and tiles are nice but ultimately it doesnt hold up for me so I cannot recommend it. I would instead recommend his other game Greed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Piña Pirata is a fantastic game for a specific purpose: time filling. Among players who prefer multi-hour games, many short (15-30 minute) games are considered "filler", but Piña Pirata is actually a fantastic filler in the sense that each hand is (usually) quite short, you can stop after any number of hands (or in the middle of one), and players can easily join or drop out between hands. If you're hosting a game night and people are filtering in slowly over the course of 30-60 minutes, you can just whip this out and people can easily join the game as they arrive. It's the best game I've found for this purpose.

Of course all that is unimportant if you hate playing it. I enjoy it myself, in small bursts. There are strategic to decisions to be made, but your decisions matter less as the number of players increases. If I'm sitting down to play a game with a set of people, I'd almost never choose it. But if I'm e.g. in a restaurant where the duration of play in unknown, there's no other game I'd rather have.

EDIT: To be clear, the rules present two ways to play the game: "Adventure" mode, where the game lasts until one player has won four hands; and "Cruise" mode, where you just play until you're done playing (your food arrives, your guests are all there, etc.), or until it gets too complex. Cruise mode is what makes the game worthwhile. Adventure mode games can drag on, but Cruise mode by definition doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
Gimme a few minutes.

I've given you over 100,000 minutes. Still nothing.
It's on Black Friday sale. Thinking about it. Prolly gonna pass, but would have liked to see a review.

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/53662/pina-pirata/even-weirde...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:

Mea culpa. I saw nothing in the Reviews forum. I keep forgetting about the whole "video" thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, short version, it's a well produced time-waster, some might call an "activity". If you find yourself playing Uno or Fluxx or Apples to Apples or other "play till you're done" kind of games, I think this is a FAR more interesting game in that category, because you can make fun stuff happen my putting rules together in odd ways. Even so, it's still definitely in that "time-waster" category, so there's basically no DEPTH to it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.