GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,241 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Compare these for me, please. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently reading reviews, but need to also watch some videos later.

I want a co-op or semi-co-op game with a fantasy/historic castle siege.

There are several that I'm looking at.

1. Castle Panic May be a bit too simplistic, although I suspect my wife and I could have fun with it anyway. We kinda like silly games.

2. Stronghold this is currently the top of my list. Looks fun, strategic, but not too deep that it plays kinda fast and easy? (this one isn't co-op, so my wife will probably veto it, but maybe showing her the pics of the board would be enough...)

3. Storm the Castle! Semi-co-op, but still competitive. Looks like fun, and it has the potential for expansions with lots of different armies, both attackers and defenders.

Any other similar games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hi Lane,

are you looking for a 2 player game?

i think for a co-op with a fantasy theme perhaps Defenders of the Realm might be a good option and/or worth looking into.

i think castle panic is a pretty fun and yes albeit light co-op / tower defense style game. i enjoyed it the few times i've played and i think it does work well with the family.

Stronghold, is an interesting choice, i actually really appreciate what this game was trying to do and i think when it comes together does a great job of recreating that castle siege feeling ie lotr:two towers scene.

however, with that said it's not at all simple and i would say it really plays fast nor is it easy. the rules unfortunately make it difficult to get through and it's an asymmetrical game which also makes it difficult to teach, as you'll need to really know both sides of the games and need to be able to explain in detail how it works. typically it's easier to explain the defender but the defender role is a bit less interesting(per se).
if your spouse is a gamer and the theme is right then go for it, just know what you are getting yourself into.

i haven't played storm the castle, so i can't really speak to it.

out of left field, you could look at The Ares Project, it's a two player starcraft style game, it's about controlling the center of board(king of the hill) and attacking each others base...i know it's not the theme u were looking for but it is a close mechanic.

enjoy
-
James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories is a fantasy village siege. Fully co-op.

Castle Panic is really simple. Like Tic Tac Toe simple. But, much longer to play out than Tic Tac Toe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You really need the Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower expansion to have fun with Castle Panic. It does make for a great game for family and casual gamers, but you will probably grow tired of it fast.

I keep it in my collection for young children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wylann wrote:
2. Stronghold this is currently the top of my list. Looks fun, strategic, but not too deep that it plays kinda fast and easy?

You really need to research better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Wylann wrote:
2. Stronghold this is currently the top of my list. Looks fun, strategic, but not too deep that it plays kinda fast and easy?

You really need to research better. ;)

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
You really need the Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower expansion to have fun with Castle Panic. It does make for a great game for family and casual gamers, but you will probably grow tired of it fast.

I keep it in my collection for young children.

+1 to this. We never lost this game until we got the expansion. It's definitely challenging with Wizard's Tower. Pretty much everyone we've introduced it to has really enjoyed it, but we did get tired of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Wylann wrote:

You really need to research better.

Yeah, I got that after reading more reviews last night. modest

I'd like something that plays 2, but I'm more interested in 3-5. Obviously if a game plays 2 well, and still handles more, that would be ideal.

Good call on Defenders of the Realm. I do like that game (much better than Pandemic, but maybe just because I prefer the theme).

I discovered a friend has Castle panic with the wizard's tower, so I might borrow that and see what I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.