Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

This is a WIP thread for the 2014 Card Game Design Contest

PnP Cards and Rules

The King of Shadowood has granted you permission to hire defenders from his army and lure townsfolk from his city to expand the kingdom. Build up your tableau and destroy the foul creatures infesting the surrounding lands to win the King’s favor and establish your own barony.

2-5 players.
45 minutes.

Components:
140 Cards
2 6-sided dice
50 Gold coins

Game Play Overview:
Each player takes a turn rolling 2 dice. Each card has a number value that activates that cards effect if the dice roll matches the number. There are cards that have effects that can be activated when it is not your turn. On your turn, you can buy 1 Citizen card, buy 1 Land card, and attack 1 Monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaias Vallejo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'm not a good artist. I'm working with a guy who is doing the art for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are there a bunch of Ninja Turtle zombies?

Great art

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanism looks like Machi Koro, could you tell us the main differences between your game and this one ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaias Vallejo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The base mechanism of dice rolls activating effects on cards is definitely inspired from Machi Koro. The biggest difference is the addition of Strength and the addition of the Monsters you kill. The next biggest difference is that Machi Koro has the player that builds their 4 landmarks first as their end game trigger. In this game, players are collecting Victory Points by killing monsters and by buying Land that multiplies the cards they've purchased throughout the game into Victory Points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaias Vallejo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
All monarchs choose their cards from the center stacks. Everyone starts off with the same thing and they choose which cards to buy based on their individual strategy and play style. There are 5 Monster stacks. All players can attack any of the stacks.

This is the "core" set and we are currently creating new sets to add in to make this more like Dominion. For example, there are 12 starting Citizen stacks, but the final product will have 16 possible Citizen cards to choose from - so every game will be different.

We are also currently coming up with King's Favor cards. There will be 5 to choose from, but only 3 can be in a game. These cards can be bought during the game. These cards do not trigger on dice rolls, but are instead powers that you can activate. Here are the first few we had in mind:

1. If this is your turn, you may roll up one die up to 2 pips. Return this card to the center. [Cost: 2]
2. If this is your turn, you gain 1 Gold. Return this card to the center if you ever have more than 5 Gold. [Cost: 1]
3. On anyone's turn, you may force a player to re-roll any 1 die. Return this card to the center. [Cost: 1]
4. On anyone's turn, you do not have to give other players Gold when their card's activate. Return this card to the center if you ever take anyone's Gold. [Cost: 2]
5. If this is your turn, you may buy one Land for 2 less Gold than it's cost. Return this card. [Cost: 1]

Let me know if I've answered your questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards I'm seeing on the link don't have artwork.

Are you planning on Kickstarting this or trying to get it published?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaias Vallejo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I plan on kickstarting this or publishing once the game has been thoroughly play tested. The game has evolved a bit since I did this initial posting. I will updated the cards/rules in the next week or so.

The art is almost "done", but I wanted to keep the art off of the cards for now because I'm constantly reprinting cards and didn't want to waist ink. The one picture there is just to show the art style and it was made for an Unpub event we had here in Seattle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Scholtz
Slovakia
flag msg tools
The one thing that draw my attention to this game, instead of other was the main art. Then i was a little bit dissapointed when i saw cards without any artwork.

I totally understand that this is only prototype to show mechanics but from my point of view. Its very difficult to enjoy the game when the atmosphere is missing.

But the rules keep drawing my attention. The game was fun to play and i have no remarks to them. I hope you uploaded the full version pretty soon.

PS: It reminds me of the PC game Overlord, i can image the art going that way.

I wish you good luck with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaias Vallejo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm definitely iterating on the cards at the moment and it wastes a lot of ink to put in final art.

The new version is posted now. Rules have been updated in that shared folder as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaias Vallejo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The first 30 pieces of art are now in the folder if anyone is interested. Any comments are welcome - on the game, rules, or art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing art there, love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JewellGames wrote:
Amazing art there, love it.

This

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaias Vallejo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.