Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Within a few days of the free PnP being posted here, I printed it up for me and my two sons (9 & 18) to have some fun with. We really enjoy TEK (it's predecessor) and wanted to try it out. We don't own any other co-ops, so the idea of playing together as a team was something we also were curious about (especially since we are fairly competitive). My wife thought it my be good to have everyone playing on the same "team" too.

After a few plays, I had some concerns. But the more we played, and with the tweaks and add-ons as stretch goal after stretch goal was reached on the KS project (Which ended - EPICALLY !), those concerns have evaporated.

Some things that set Tiny Epic Defenders apart (for us, anyway):

TURN, TURN, TURN

The turn deck is a really neat mechanism that does several things:

1) Every round (every time through the deck) you add another horde card...which makes the game keep getting harder as you go on.

2) You don't know when you'll get to take a turn. "Should I head to the forest...it's about to fall? But I'm low on health - maybe I should move into the city and heal? What about the Cleric? Will she get to go before I'm attacked in the plains again? Will I be able to get back out to the coast before it's beaten to a pulp?"

3) You decide how many "dire enemies" to add - 1 for easy, 2 for normal, 3 for hard and 4 for EPIC! (We haven't even tried Epic...yet). And not only does adding an extra dire enemy increase the difficulty by, well, adding an extra dire to the horde deck - it also increases the game length another round.

On "easy" level (with 1 dire added) you play 1 + 4 (horde deck) = 5 rounds until you face the Epic Foe. Because adding dire enemies also increases the size of the draw deck, it lengthens the game. To the point where "epic" level (with 4 dire enemies added) is 1 + 7 (horde deck) = 8 rounds. Sure, this is somewhat offset by the extra artifacts (you get an artifact - a special item that helps!)...if you can defeat the dire enemies to get them...and if you can keep your regions and the capital long enough to make it to the end of that 8th round - let alone survive the 9th while trying to fight the epic foe while still preventing the capital city from falling.

That is part of the reason this is such a great "little" game.

DECISIONS, DECISIONS
Another neat aspect is that there are MANY meaningful decisions to be made - and not just on your turn. You also have decisions about whether or not to defend regions based on your health when the area is attacked - sometimes many regions if you happen to be in the plains. You have decisions about using artifacts (some of which can be used out of turn).

But back to the beauty of the turn deck - you also have decisions as you "learn" the turn deck, as you have (after the first round) seen every card in it, except the one you just added. So you can build a strategy about what regions need more help - and where you can lie in wait for enemies you know will come...at some point.

TIME & SPACE

T.E.D. sets ups quick, is easy to teach and plays in about 30 minutes - give or take (sometimes quicker if you're unlucky!). It also doesn't take up much room at all! My son and I played a game on the flip up tray between the two front seats of our mini van!

TIPPING THE SCALES We have played it with two, three and four...and one. In fact, I am not a big "solo gamer" by any stretch - but I have played TED more than once by myself...and really enjoyed it. The game scales wonderfully - and plays as well with 4 as it does with 1. The special action cards for 2 or 3 player games are also a neat addition.

So who would like it (and should back it on KS??):

-Light gamers...or medium gamers
-Gamers that like strategy
-Gamers that like co-ops
-Gamers that like fantasy themes
-Solo gamers
-Families (it's simple to learn, teach and play - and no arguing between siblings!!)
-EVERYONE who like a game that is quick, easy, doesn't take up a ton of table real estate, and has depth and a feeling of impending doom...but then you WIN!

WHY PRE-BUY?

So why should back it on Kickstarter? Well, for one, if you back at the Deluxe level (which is only $24) - you get the Premium PnP - which means you can print the FULL game - stretch goals, deluxe stuff, everything - in August...when the game isn't expected to deliver until March.

Which is another reason. Why wait for 8+ months for the game to hit retail? This game is great!!

Another reason to pre-buy on KS? Full retail is going to be $35 for deluxe - but you can get it for $24 and get it early - and with free shipping if you live in the US.

Good game, good company, good price...so glad I backed it!!

The KS is HERE!- but it's over!! Which is too bad - because it was one the most incredible KS's I have ever been a part of...especially "Update #21" - it was...

...oh you knew this was coming...

EPIC!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I liked your analysis of the game length and number of rounds based on difficulty level. Very clearly explained.

If you want us to back the Kickstarter, shouldn't you include the link?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbesvii wrote:
Thanks for the review. I liked your analysis of the game length and number of rounds based on difficulty level. Very clearly explained.

If you want us to back the Kickstarter, shouldn't you include the link?

Yeah - I had it, but goofed up the link, so took it out while I fixed it. It's back now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep updating to reflect an accurate amount of time on the KS.

(and to correct typos I keep missing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed this at the $8 pnp level without playing the demo. Why? Two main reasons:

1) I missed Tiny Epic Kingdoms. I enjoyed the demo and wanted the deluxe PnP. I contacted the company via kickstarter and they gladly sold it to me for $8. Now you can do an add-on for TEK pnp for $8. Yay!

2) They actually offer a pnp tier. Not many do. Not only is it nice to get early delivery, it permits me to buy physical copies from my FLGS instead of via kickstarter - and my FLGS is very supportive and deserves my business.

I greatly enjoy TEK, and as a cooperative game fan (Pandemic, Defenders of the Realm, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Eldritch Horror, and so on) I am sure I'll enjoy TED.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody reading this who missed the end of the Kickstarter, please note that all hope is not lost. You still have a window before the final numbers are sent to manufacturing to pledge for a copy via Paypal:

TED KS Update #22 wrote:
LATE BACKERS

If you were sleeping, forgot, just found us, etc. it is not too late. For a limited time, I will be taking late pledges for Tiny Epic Defenders. Yes, you can pledge for the Deluxe Edition during this window of time.

If this is you, and you are interested, these late pledges are processed via paypal. The same price structure as KS will be honored during this time.

Paypal your pledge to michael@gamelyngames.com and make sure to include in the comments, your address and exactly what you are pledging for.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.