Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
With and without Lost Legions.

I initially went with one less countryside and one more core than the 2-player setups for each scenario, but it is pretty clear that there are numerous specific issues with each scenario that need addressing. For instance, too many mines in Mines Liberation after the expansion, or the big difference between drawing or not drawing the one other core tile with a tomb in Dungeon Lords.

So, if you have extensively played any of these scenarios as solo games, what tile counts do you use and why? If you have kept track, what are your win rates?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hortness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to know this too.

And btw, fantastic job on the Mage Knight Vassal module Ben.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My solution for solo Mines Liberation was to include the Deep Mines and use the two-player tile setup (so there's still only one core non-city tile - six countryside and two core mines overall) and give myself five rounds; I find I can just barely win with this setup. Even without the expansion four rounds seems unreasonable, though I don't think I ever tried it.

For solo Dungeon Lords I'd just use the two-player setup as well; there are no dungeons on the new tiles, so the expansion shouldn't make things harder. I don't see any reason to turn a countryside tile to a core tile if you aren't trying to make things more difficult; it's not as if gold units are going to help much. I realize solo Full Conquest does this, but the other scenarios are difficult enough as is since they aren't designed to be soloed; they require one player to travel everywhere and fight a bunch of difficult battles instead of a couple of huge ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also play Mines Liberation for 5 Rounds. For setup I separate countryside tiles with mines from those without. I take 4 countryside tiles with mines and 3 without, shuffle them together to form the top stack. Then I drop the Red City and 1 Core with mine below that.

For Dungeon Lords I just drop 1 Countryside tile from the 2 player setup.

I've never played Druid Nights, but I would probably just drop 1 Countryside tile from the 2 player setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Erb
Germany
Ulm
flag msg tools
mb
I have played solo Mines Liberation extensively, and some solo Dungeon Lords.

For Solo Mines Liberation I use 7 Countryside tiles (4 mines), and 2 Core Tiles (both with a mine), with a time span of four rounds. I find that challenging enough that I don't go in already knowing I'll win (as with Solo Conquest). I even made a session report about it once (shameless self-promoting link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/12100695#12100695).

In my experience, for Solo Mines Liberation with just the base game Ranged Attacks are king. The expansion lessens that and makes things harder in general (there are now really tough green/brown-combos). In the base game, you could generally go for the first mine directly, level and day 1. With LL, that can be suicidal.

Solo Dungeon Lords is hugely influenced by which Countryside tiles you draw. You can end up with a monastery (and thus, a tomb) in your face on day 1, which means either getting lucky with a manageable draconum early on or likely loosing too much time getting beaten up or backtracking later. The total amount you have to clear is also not fixed, usually 4-5 dungeons and 4-5 tombs in 5 rounds. I think just removing 1 Countryside tile from the Dungeon Lords setup for Competitive should work and be quite challenging, unless you draw the perfect artefacts/spells.

So, my thoughts in summary:

7 Countryside, 2 Core (4 & 2 mines respectively) for Solo Mines Liberation.
Win rate (estimate): 80% base game, 60% LL.

7 Countryside, 2 Core for Solo Dungeon Lords.
Win rate (estimate): 100% base game, 50% LL (this number gets better though).

I don't get Solo Druid Nights, as the scenario has no "mission succesful" condition.

Edit: Winrates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Erb
Germany
Ulm
flag msg tools
mb
For Dungeon Lords, I have made a count of which kind of tiles are in the draw. The multiplayer version varies greatly in how many tombs/dungeons there are. This is probably due to the fact that it's competitive, so mission success is not as crucial.

BASE GAME

Fixed tiles:
4 Tombs
2 Dungeons

Cores:
2 Empty
1 Tomb

Countryside:
3 Empty
1 Tomb (from Monastery)
5 Dungeons (from Villages)

EXPANSION

Fixed tiles:
4 Tombs
2 Dungeons

Cores:
4 Empty
1 Tomb

Countryside:
4 Empty
2 Tombs (from Monasteries)
6 Dungeons (from Villages)

So with a 7 Countryside (2 fixed), 2 Core (both fixed) split you will end up somewhere between 4-6 tombs and 3-7 dungeons. Worst case is 6 Tombs 5 Dungeons, easiest 4 Tombs 3 Dungeons.

If one wanted to keep a "uniform" difficulty (it will have some variation due to tile order and offers, of course), one should probably fix the amount of empty/village/monastery tiles in the draw.

My recent win was with 5 Tombs, 5 Monasteries. I had bad luck with the Dummy (he kept drawing a lot of cards), but solid artefacts/spells. I think this might be a good setup, and require (beside the 4 fixed tiles):

1 Countryside tile with a Monastery
3 Countryside tiles with a Village
1 Countryside tile without Village or Monastery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.