Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Uses for the Soong Borg rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: This is not a "This ship sucks" thread. It's expensive, but unlike the poor battleship this one can turn around.

I'm just wondering what uses people see for it, since in terms of points if you're going Borg you might as well just take a sphere to get the same attack dice, a 360 arc, and superior movement. Is this ship mostly a way to get some cards you might use in other builds, or a way to buff up the independent "faction?" Basically, if anyone's actually used it or has any cool ideas about what to do with it, I'd like to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a couple people who like it because it allows them to play the Borg without feeling like they're playing on "easy mode".

I usually don't play Borg because I like the "feel" of flying the normal ships (though I do enjoy playing against them for the challenge), so if I were going to go with a Borg-based build I'd more likely grab the Soong to keep the same feel that I enjoy while running other ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It fits largely the same role as many of your larger high attack/high durability ships. I also won't say that the Sphere's maneuvers are strictly better. There are certainly things that the Sphere can do that the Soong can't, but there are also things the Soong can do which a Sphere can't with its greater thrust and banks/turns.

The upgrade bar is also different. The Sphere/Cube can both only carry one crew (without a way to add slots as well). The Soong starts off with two so if you're planning to use crew, its certainly a benefit (and if you're going with Lore.. another slot to sacrifice to his whims).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roberson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Consider that the Borg have a terrible upgrade bar when it comes to hybrids. You want to slap picard on there? Ok but you can't use anything that needs drone tokens and without that your upgrade bar is pretty terrible.

Enter, the Soong. You can put Gorn Commander on board, run Borg Ablative Armor, Superior Intellect, Crosis and Goval and away you go, assimilating stuff right and left with better action economy than a sphere while being a generally badass powerhouse.

TL;DR to play the Soong properly, don't think of it as Borg. Think of it as a super borgy Independent flagship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Barnes
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I use it as an independent ship that can use borg upgrades
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, now I think I get it. All of a sudden I'm thinking about using this for a Faction-Pure First Contact event:

Soong (38) + Flagship (to get battlestations) (10)+ Khan (5) + Follower of Khan (1) + Crosis (5) + Goval (1) = 60

Sgorn (22) + Gorn Commander (3) + Impulse Overload (2) + Cyrano Jones (3)

I'll have 7 dice dishing out tons of crits with Khan, the tribbles might help, and I can use Crosis and Goval to help knock out the other guy's stuff, maybe Impulse Overload as well if I'm lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dario gonzalez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
i use it mainly because if i am using a sphere i feel like i am cheating by how easily i kill my opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PenguinBonaparte wrote:
Wow, now I think I get it. All of a sudden I'm thinking about using this for a Faction-Pure First Contact event:

Soong (38) + Flagship (to get battlestations) (10)+ Khan (5) + Follower of Khan (1) + Crosis (5) + Goval (1) = 60

Sgorn (22) + Gorn Commander (3) + Impulse Overload (2) + Cyrano Jones (3)

I'll have 7 dice dishing out tons of crits with Khan, the tribbles might help, and I can use Crosis and Goval to help knock out the other guy's stuff, maybe Impulse Overload as well if I'm lucky.

I would think Khan would have more synergy with the S'Gorn due to its ship ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roberson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I kind of agree, but on the other hand, S'gorn swings for three dice. You might get a crit you otherwise wouldn't out of Gorn Commander upping your accuracy, whereas khan just guarantees that if your 3 dice do hit anything it'll probably crit. In fact, Toreth is probably better at this than Khan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it's a terrible Borg ship. But don't think of it as Borg, think of it as Indie which makes it a damn fine kick-ass ship. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaron2310 wrote:
I think it's a terrible Borg ship. But don't think of it as Borg, think of it as Indie which makes it a damn fine kick-ass ship. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

I don't think its a terrible Borg ship, more a Borg ship with the training wheels off, its still pretty solid, just without the OP movement and firing arcs.

Having said that, I think the main use for it will be running it as an independent with a lot of the kit it comes with, Lore is going to be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Spiney_Norman wrote:

I don't think its a terrible Borg ship, more a Borg ship with the training wheels off, its still pretty solid, just without the OP movement and firing arcs.

Which is what makes the Borg so powerful. Without those attributes and it being the same point cost as the Sphere(IIRC)...you'd have to be building something a bit different to the usual Borg approach to want to use it over the Sphere.

Quote:
Having said that, I think the main use for it will be running it as an independent with a lot of the kit it comes with, Lore is going to be great.

Indeed. Majority of the upgrades that come with it are better as Indie as opposed to their dual Borg status - well, aside from TWC (it hurts me this is a Borg slot) or Subspace Distortion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do want to have a lot of dice for Khan to do his thing with. The Dominion Battlecruiser might be the best ind. flagship for him, but I'm not sure what the venue will allow. Those Borg might go better on the Gorn ship though just so I don't have to waste a potential battlestation action from Khan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.