Popular Tags: [View All]
[W] [O] [P] [R]
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately I've been thinking, if I was designing a curriculum to create the ultimate war gamer, which games would I choose, in which order, and for which reasons? I couldn't come up with many by myself except the obvious choices. I'm wondering if people here can think of a few other games to add.

I'm looking for games that are not necessarily modern traditional wargames, but instead emphasize basic tactics and strategies that people who play war games might find useful. This seems to somewhat limit choices to the "abstract" category, but I'm hoping people can think of a few games outside the abstract and wargaming genres, as well.

1. Chess, teaches essential war tactics like "pinning" and "skewers" and rewards forward thinking, to name a few lessons. This seems like a great wargamer 101 to learn basic tactics and terminology.

2. Go, Opens up the restrictive movements of chess and lets players begin to use pieces and tactics more abstractly.

3. Poker, the art of deception definitely comes into play, and I can't think of a better game to teach bluffing.

If you can think of additional tactical/strategic applications for the games I listed, please feel free to add to them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb

In my opinion there is no better game to start with than Battle for Moscow (second edition), I am not sure if this is a "modern wargame" by your criteria.

It has a very low counter density, the board is marked with pre-printed set-up locations and it teaches most all wargame conventions found it other much more complex games.

It can teach movement, terrain modifyers, weather condition effects, Zone Of Control usage, Combat Results Table results and the accompanying figuring of odds ratios. It also teaches positioning and how to place reinforcements optimally. And it does all of this is a very easy to teach game with very short playtime.

I am an unabashed lover of all this game has to offer, even though it is fairly easy to outgrow as a wargamer; for beginners is shows how some of the typical of wargame conventions work in practice.

You may also look at Philip Sabin's great book Simulating War; this has several wargame included (you must print them out) that he uses in his classrooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brynn Coza
msg tools
mb

I'd put Dunnigan's The Drive On Metz and Napolean At Waterloo right up there with Battle For Moscow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I don't think any of the three you mentioned are particularly pertinent to wargaming. Things like "deception" apply to a very broad set of gaming genres.

Heroscape is an ideal choice. Range, line of sight, zone of control . . . the game doesn't use the lingo but it implements most of the basic principles of wargaming. Super-easy ruleset and a whole lot of fun too.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brynn Coza
msg tools
mb
I think Dungeons and Dragons is/was a very good wargame primer. Strategy, mostly tactics on a hex map, lots of big thick rule books, dice, pencils and paper, and of course role play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[W] [O] [P] [R]
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDevax wrote:
I think Dungeons and Dragons is/was a very good wargame primer. Strategy, mostly tactics on a hex map, lots of big thick rule books, dice, pencils and paper, and of course role play.

Whoa! didn't see that pick coming.

Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
truflepig wrote:
TheDevax wrote:

Nice!

Is this thread serious?

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
truflepig wrote:
TheDevax wrote:

Nice!

Is this thread serious?

S.

I think someone was genuinely looking for help then....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brynn Coza
msg tools
mb
Laugh if you like, but I was half serious with my comment. If you know someone who's played D&D and they're interested in war, then you've probably found someone who can learn and play wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.