Subject: Heavier "party" game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Nefstead
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My birthday is coming up soon. I'd like to have a small group of people over to play games. Games! I love games. Anyway, I'm having trouble thinking of the right game to play. I'm torn between light bluffing games (The Resistance, Skull & Roses, Two Rooms and a Boom) and something epic like Twilight Imperium. I think TI would probably be too long and complex for the group of people who are likely to show up, but, well, it's my birthday and I want to play a real game that takes longer than half an hour. So, I'm looking for recommendations.

My criteria:

- can accommodate roughly 6-8 players
- can be taught in less than half an hour
- can be played in 1-3 hours
- involves a fair amount of player interaction
- fun for both serious and casual gamers

What do you think? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you need RoboRally

It'll be absolute carnage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might check out VivaJava: The Coffee Game. It was designed to be a very interactive eurogame that involves thought and plays very well with a group (6 - 8 people). Seems like it may fit your list, except possibly for being accessible to non-gamers. I haven't played it, so I don't know about that aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardBeard wrote:
fun for both serious and casual gamers

Sorry to be negative, but your criteria are at odds with one another. It is your birthday and you can choose whatever you want but I'd suggest having a heavier game with a smaller group of 'serious' gamers at another time.

But in an effort to be somewhat helpful, how about looking at something you could play in a tournament style? Something like BattleCON: War of Indines is not too complicated to teach and an 8 player tournament could be done in 1-3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in your same spot recently

Dungeon Fighter was the answer.

The hardcore players can take care of the strategy and item management. The more casual players still participate in a dexterity element that they are capable of beating the hardcore gamers at.

Everyone can contribute!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Nefstead
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krawhitham wrote:
BoardBeard wrote:
fun for both serious and casual gamers

Sorry to be negative, but your criteria are at odds with one another. It is your birthday and you can choose whatever you want but I'd suggest having a heavier game with a smaller group of 'serious' gamers at another time.

That's a valid opinion, but I disagree. I would consider myself and my girlfriend to be serious gamers, because we play a lot of games and appreciate interesting mechanics and opportunities for strategy. That does mean that there are lighter games that I don't enjoy, such as games revolving almost entirely around luck of the draw/roll. It does not mean, however, that I don't enjoy light games. I've had great fun with the Resistance and Werewolf, for example. The rules are simple and easy to learn and the game doesn't take long to play, but it requires players to use their brains and it involves a lot of meaningful player interaction.

That said, for this particular occasion I want something with a bit more depth. I don't think that means it has to be completely inaccessible to my casual gamer friends, though.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone! Keep them coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jak Varnado
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmb
BoardBeard wrote:
My birthday is coming up soon. I'd like to have a small group of people over to play games. Games! I love games. Anyway, I'm having trouble thinking of the right game to play. I'm torn between light bluffing games (The Resistance, Skull & Roses, Two Rooms and a Boom) and something epic like Twilight Imperium. I think TI would probably be too long and complex for the group of people who are likely to show up, but, well, it's my birthday and I want to play a real game that takes longer than half an hour. So, I'm looking for recommendations.

My criteria:

- can accommodate roughly 6-8 players
- can be taught in less than half an hour
- can be played in 1-3 hours
- involves a fair amount of player interaction
- fun for both serious and casual gamers

What do you think? Thanks in advance!

I would go for Space Cadets or Space Cadets: Dice Duel. Both are crazy fun and meet your criteria. Also Panic on Wall Street! is a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bing Hwang Tan
Malaysia
Sungai Dua, Penang
Penang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually I'll go for Fearsome Floors (7 players) or Revolutions with Palaces Expansion (6 players).

Fearsome Floors offers a feeling of 'fear' during the game and Revolution makes handling of the session a whole lot easier as the game plays simultaneously for all players.

Both also offer some meat in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DAAAN wrote:
I think you need RoboRally

My guess is, is that this is the games that best matches your criteria (6-8 players games that last an hour or three just aren't very common, for a good reason). Of course, it does include player elimination. And the only way you'd finish in three hours with eight people is if you play with a small board.

Formula D is another possibility, but it also includes player elimination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally like Blades of Legend. It's a hidden role / bluffing game, similar to The Resistance, but, to me, a little meatier.

7 Wonders might also work for you. It plays up to 7 in the base box, one of the expansions takes it up to 8 players if you needed it.

Streams (also called 20 Express) is fairly light, but it's a departure from the bluffing games I keep finding myself having to pull out when there are that many players, so I enjoy it for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple days ago I played Shadow Hunters with a group of 8 people. It's yet another hidden role game, but with an element of deduction and a bit of combat. Everyone has a unique special power, which is also cool. Lots of fun.

We also played and enjoyed Mascarade, but that might be too light for what you're hoping for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DigitalMan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
I considered getting Ladies & Gentlemen to fill this sort of niche, but I so rarely have a largish group of people who'd be willing to play a slightly heavier party game that I decided against it.

Still, if I found myself in a situation like yours, I might pick this game up.

(Note: it sounds like it's best with an odd number of players like 7 or 9... since that brings the Courtesan role into play.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Time's up or Time's up title recall. Great party game. Gets people interacting and laughing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only potential snafu I see is the contradiction between two of your criteria: the intersection of "casual" gamer, and 1-3 hours playtime! That's like finding a unicorn. By that point, just call it what it is - a "gamer"...(or a horse with a cone taped to it's nose, because the alternative doesn't actually exist.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Meenachan
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
KILLER QUEEN: BITES THE DUST!
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Bound is surprisingly deep for a party game, and it handles up to 12 players (even numbers are better, or else you'll have to use the annoying Inquisitors). It also got a Kennerspiel des Jahres honorary mention, so that has to count for something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Skull & Roses and Long shot
Speculation is also not bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for VivaJava. It's perfect at 7,8 people. It's a nice mix of cooperative and competitive play. It's mainly social, but you also have your own player board for upgrades and Euro-style optimization and combos. It takes about an hour and a half to play, and maybe 15 minutes to teach.

Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Mascarade. I played this with my family last Thanksgiving and feared no one would get it, but it was the surprise hit of the weekend. Plays up to 13 as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Healex
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
You just described Cosmic Encounter in your OP, albeit with an expansion or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.