David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
My last attempt to ask this question was not very clear (my fault) and got sidetracked. I think now, the title says it all:

1x Core Set Only: 30-card mono sphere vs 50-card dual sphere. Which is generally stronger?

I expect 40-card dual spheres are stronger than 50-card decks.

I'm trying to decide what deck format I should use for both solo and 2-player games. For 2-player I will likely have to build both decks myself.

The only other thing to consider is that both Hobbit Saga expansions should arrive tomorrow. When those are included, will 50-card decks including the new cards make the original quests too easy?

I'm still trying to work out what approach to take with this game. I don't want to make it too easy, but I also want to have a chance of beating it.

Thanks all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Baker
United States
Stillwater
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My favorite way to play solo is with two 50 card decks, one Gimli/Legolas/Theodred and the other Eowyn/Beravor/with either Eleanor or Denethor.

Good luck!

Jonathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Addison Fox
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
In general, the fewer cards in your deck the more consistent its draws and the more likely you'll get the card you need at any one time. That said, the core set decks have a fair bit of chaff in them that you can remove to replace them with stronger cards in another sphere at the cost of making your resource base a little slower.

I never really played with 30 card decks at all, but I definitely recommend the 50 card experience, because building decks is more than half the fun of the game to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider ~30-card dual sphere too. As DaMullet said, the fewer the cards, the more consistent your deck. Given that a single Core Set doesn't give you 3s or even 2s of some important cards, going to less than 50 is almost a must, however many spheres you are using.

To answer the original question, I think the 50 card dual-sphere deck could probably still be made stronger, but I am just speculating. With a 30 card single sphere deck you pretty much have to use all the cards from a sphere, and there are some weak cards. With a 50 card dual-sphere deck you get a little more wiggle room in getting rid of some of those weaker cards. But neither is ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered using the updated easy mode rules?

I'm guessing you aren't aware of them because most people play with 50 card decks and use easy mode when they want to scale the difficulty back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
With 3 or 4 players, just the precon decks do quite fine.
2P I preferred 2 color decks (Ld/Tac and Spi/Lore in my case).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks all.

Chobabot wrote:
My favorite way to play solo is with two 50 card decks, one Gimli/Legolas/Theodred and the other Eowyn/Beravor/with either Eleanor or Denethor.

How do you get on with the core scenarios? Have you beaten all 3 quests with these core-only decks? Do you play normal mode or easy?

Anatole69 wrote:
Have you considered using the updated easy mode rules?

I'm guessing you aren't aware of them because most people play with 50 card decks and use easy mode when they want to scale the difficulty back.

I'm aware of easy mode, but trying to avoid it. We didn't hit a wall yet so I haven't really felt the need. It's more that I'm not really sure where to go next.

I guess what I'd like to do is build 50 card decks, however I don't really want to make the game harder. So unless the 50 card decks are at least as strong as the 30 card starter decks, I will probably hold off until we have more cards.

Speaking of which, those Hobbit sagas should arrive today or tomorrow. Anyone got any thoughts on those? If I build 5 card decks from core plus 2xHobbit sagas, will the original quests be too easy, or will they still be challenging?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
50 card dual sphere is stronger...
Try semi easy mode with only the starting resource. It is good enough most times!
The first two scenarios are easy with just core cards or at least winnable. The last is possible, but extremely difficult. Second or third core set helps. Also increased number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.