Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rezot tam
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, all!

I work at a FLGS in central Massachusetts and am a big Attack Wing fan. Unfortunately for me, there aren't a lot of other people I know of who play, though everyone I've taught the game to so far has really enjoyed it. In order to drum up interest I'm demo-ing STAW this Saturday along with a bunch of other games.

So my question for you all is: what do you think is the best way to teach the game to a group of people that you won't be playing along with? These groups tend to run big (20+ attendants at any given time playing 4-5 games) and range in age from kids to adults.

I've used the "Scimitar" scenario to teach friends, with each of us running one of the three ships. I like it, but explaining how the Scimitar token works makes things a little confusing for the first time out. I was thinking of putting together a bunch of little "fleets" of maybe 50-75 points each and have people pair off.

I also read somewhere once on these boards that someone made photocopies of the cards in their builds so that each player only needed one sheet of paper in front of them. That sounds brilliant to me, but might not wow potential customers. What do you guys think?
We'll be using my personal collection in this demo so I'm hoping to protect my collection from excessive manhandling. Maybe use those 9-pocket pages you use in 3-ring binders?

Any input is appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the potential ST fans coming out, a couple thematic matches would probably be interesting, allowing them to re-enact a favorite moment. Although it's a totally one-sided match, the Kobyashi Maru might be a good choice simply because it's so iconic. (I would've happily played the Fed ship my first attempt at the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whip out the DS9 if you have one. I played it at a Comic Con and it attracted lots of interest and attention. Give the newbies a chance to play with the station.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
erick lee
Canada
flag msg tools
I would say use an extremely simple game. No scenario. No cloaking mechanics for the first game.

Go with Federation vs. Dominion or something. IMHO the most confusing thing to new players is the benefits of the respective action bar functions against each other.

Explain the odds of the dice thoroughly. Effectively 4 hits on an attack die, 3 evades on a defense die, two battlestations per die. Explain the effects of the actions on converting/rerolling dice.

Explain turning and banking effect on facing. A turn always changes your facing by 90 degrees. A bank by 45 degrees.

This stuff..basic die odds, and basic turn/bank facing, is important and should be explained before the first game IMHO. Some might be tempted to skip these 'crunchy bits' and go with the 'Let's just play a game and you'll figure it out eventually' method, because of time limitations and people just want to get things rolling. Don't do it. Be patient and don't send in the newbies blind! If the crowd is gamer-types, they should be able to pick up on this stuff pretty quickly and will appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Gwyr
United States
Lakeside
California
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry for the TOTAL Noob questions, but this goes out to those of you that run games regularly.

My FNB&M finally decided to run an 'unofficial' OP to see if there is enough interest to start official events, (They had a free OP1 Kit) but no one at the store knows how to play.

They asked me to run it, but I've never moderated this game, only played.

>What is the best method to pick eight players if more than that show up?
What do I tell the rest?

>What is the best/fairest method of pairing players and determining the winner?

I'm also contemplating running this as a starter only, one ship build, no frills event as most of the folks showing up may never have played at all. On the other hand, I might get some X-Wing enthusiasts in the mix.

Really, it's kind of a glorified demo in tournament clothing...
Any suggestions are appreciated, I really want to build some interest in my area.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corrosion wrote:
Sorry for the TOTAL Noob questions, but this goes out to those of you that run games regularly.

My FNB&M finally decided to run an 'unofficial' OP to see if there is enough interest to start official events, (They had a free OP1 Kit) but no one at the store knows how to play.

They asked me to run it, but I've never moderated this game, only played.

>What is the best method to pick eight players if more than that show up?
What do I tell the rest?

>What is the best/fairest method of pairing players and determining the winner?

I'm also contemplating running this as a starter only, one ship build, no frills event as most of the folks showing up may never have played at all. On the other hand, I might get some X-Wing enthusiasts in the mix.

Really, it's kind of a glorified demo in tournament clothing...
Any suggestions are appreciated, I really want to build some interest in my area.

Thanks in advance.

Eight players:

Round 1
A: 1 vs 2
B: 3 vs 4
C: 5 vs 6
D: 7 vs 8

Round 2
E: W-A vs W-B
F: W-C vs W-D
G: L-A vs L-B
H: L-C vs L-D

Round 3
(Champion) W-E vs. W-F
W-G vs W-H
L-E vs L-F
L-G vs L-H

Winner gets a prize,

Random player (not the winner) gets a prize, and

Either the TO gets a prize (for running event), or He gives it away either as another random prize, or perhaps to second place player.

If you don't know how to tally fleet points and cumulative fleet points on the score sheets, make sure you are confident in doing so before running the tournament.

If more than 8 people show up, it is first come first serve, but allow them to watch - perhaps even using the third prize ship as a random give away to one of the extra bodies that shows up (if enough show up) - or at the end of the tournament including those who showed up but could not play in the random ship giveaway (or give away two ships this way).

That's what I would do.

Oh and ADVERTISE the event well in advance. If they have a web page, put it on there weeks in advance. You may even want to have people pay in advance ($5 is the usual amount).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rezot tam wrote:
Hi, all!

I work at a FLGS in central Massachusetts and am a big Attack Wing fan. Unfortunately for me, there aren't a lot of other people I know of who play, though everyone I've taught the game to so far has really enjoyed it. In order to drum up interest I'm demo-ing STAW this Saturday along with a bunch of other games.

So my question for you all is: what do you think is the best way to teach the game to a group of people that you won't be playing along with? These groups tend to run big (20+ attendants at any given time playing 4-5 games) and range in age from kids to adults.

I've used the "Scimitar" scenario to teach friends, with each of us running one of the three ships. I like it, but explaining how the Scimitar token works makes things a little confusing for the first time out. I was thinking of putting together a bunch of little "fleets" of maybe 50-75 points each and have people pair off.

I also read somewhere once on these boards that someone made photocopies of the cards in their builds so that each player only needed one sheet of paper in front of them. That sounds brilliant to me, but might not wow potential customers. What do you guys think?
We'll be using my personal collection in this demo so I'm hoping to protect my collection from excessive manhandling. Maybe use those 9-pocket pages you use in 3-ring binders?

Any input is appreciated!

First off, I'll start with a caveat that I've only taught Attack Wing one-on-one. But I have taught Wings of War/Glory to larger groups, and the dynamic of the two games is somewhat similar.

I would go with a co-operative scenario, where everyone learning the game is on the same team. This gives people the chance to learn to "fly" their ships without mistakes being game ending for them. I'd set it up so each person has a single ship at first. You'll have to set up the ships and upgrades for them obviously. Maybe go with 40 point builds if you have 5 players, and 35 point builds if you have 6.

When I did it with WOW/G I used an Observation Balloon scenario, where all the players are trying to shoot it down in 12 turns before it gets down safely. For Attack Wing I think you could go with the Endgame scenario from the Voyager expansion if you have it. The Borg are completely stationary and their actions are pre-programed (so to speak) so you just have to manage the game. After a couple of runs of that, people should have a good enough feel to handle a one-on-one battle on their own and you can just float and help out in the individual games.

You could modify the Endgame scenario a little too, maybe by having the Borg start farther back but move forward 2 each turn and do away with one or both of the warp conduits.

Also, I'd definitely go with the 9 pocket binger pages. If you can afford it, maybe even buy some cheap ones and cut them down to 6 pockets so they take up less space on the table. If you're going with 40 point builds, 6 should be enough slots for each ship.

Just my thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.