Subject: Collective Op 2: equation for most efficient damage? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was wondering what people's strategy was for dealing the most damage for the dollar against the Borg in Op 2?

I figured for 5 attack die, the Cardassian cruisers were a good deal.

Also, the Borg Sphere seems like a good deal as well...

But in terms of point economy, is there a better ratio in terms of how many attack dice I can fire for the cost?

For example, is it better to spend the build points for the Borg Cutting Beam or is it a better deal to have 2 ships with Quantum Torpedoes?

Your opinion is very much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For doing damage just on your own.

The best answer is that it's somewhere between survivable ships and high damage ships.

So while a generic keldon has the most attack per points in ship, it goes down in like 2 hits from the BCT.

On the other hand, if you take something like an energy dissipator and can fire it every turn, or Weyou Varel, the amount of damage you can do is closer to infinite, though it's a little slower, and there's a time limit on the match, so it takes a bit to make work. Harder if your opponent is looking to screw over all the people they have to play with, which is really easy given you both share a starting area.

So the real end of the curve people aim for is somewhere in the middle, like with 3 Valdores or something, where they hope that there aren't any really bad rolls for their defense or that the BCT doesn't roll well, low actions with just about all of them going to cloaking and defensive options, but it can have 3 different 5 die attacks for significant amounts of time.

Hard to say what's "the absolute best", but I'm leaning towards options that tend to survive more than burst damage, especially if I can outlast my opponent to go for the 20 more damage than them for the extra battle point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I need to playtest it but I'm still feeling like if you do some crazy survivability low-damage thing you can keep shooting long after their burst DPR is off the table. Tortoise V Hare type sitch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Great advice! Can you give more detail on finding the right "middle"?

charles_skrobis wrote:
For doing damage just on your own.

The best answer is that it's somewhere between survivable ships and high damage ships.

So while a generic keldon has the most attack per points in ship, it goes down in like 2 hits from the BCT.

On the other hand, if you take something like an energy dissipator and can fire it every turn, or Weyou Varel, the amount of damage you can do is closer to infinite, though it's a little slower, and there's a time limit on the match, so it takes a bit to make work. Harder if your opponent is looking to screw over all the people they have to play with, which is really easy given you both share a starting area.

So the real end of the curve people aim for is somewhere in the middle, like with 3 Valdores or something, where they hope that there aren't any really bad rolls for their defense or that the BCT doesn't roll well, low actions with just about all of them going to cloaking and defensive options, but it can have 3 different 5 die attacks for significant amounts of time.

Hard to say what's "the absolute best", but I'm leaning towards options that tend to survive more than burst damage, especially if I can outlast my opponent to go for the 20 more damage than them for the extra battle point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PanicAtTheSisko wrote:
I need to playtest it but I'm still feeling like if you do some crazy survivability low-damage thing you can keep shooting long after their burst DPR is off the table. Tortoise V Hare type sitch.

So, which one did you like after your playtest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.