Italy
Naples (NA)
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Subject: Builder's Guild + House of trade Clarification

Hallo,
please, an official faq will be useful! Can you Artipians.. make it and place it on your website or BGG?

Please can you clarify:
1) Builder's Guild have the special ability to give 2 money to the owner when:
a) only the owner build a tile or
b) any player build a tile

2)House of trade:
a) pay 1 more on marketplace sellings and discount 1 money on marketplace buying or
b) pay 1 more on marketplace sellings and discount to 1 money only (so you pay only 1 money) on every marketplace buying

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Builder's Guild? Do you mean Craftsman? The rules stated that
rulebook p.9 wrote:
Each time a player acquires a new Building tile (including the Craftsman tile granting this ability), the player receives 2 Gold coins.

Bold emphasize mine.
I recognize the difference between other descriptions in the use of "a" instead of "the". Which I assume any player. So yes the answer is B. In fact when you build the Craftsman tile, you also receive the gold immediately.

2. Also lies on the same aspect. The rules stated that
rulebook p.10 wrote:
The player gets 1 additional Gold coin when selling Resources in the Markeplace. The player pays 1 Gold coin less when buying Resources in the Marketplace

Bold emphasize mine.
The word resources means plural and therefor the additional and less money is resolve after you sum total coin needed for the resources you sell or buy. So the answer is A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you've answered what he's asking. If you have the craftsman, and another player builds a building, do you get two coins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
I don't think you've answered what he's asking. If you have the craftsman, and another player builds a building, do you get two coins?

I did answer his question.
Quote:
I recognize the difference between other descriptions in the use of "a" instead of "the". Which I assume any player. So yes the answer is B. In fact when you build the Craftsman tile, you also receive the gold immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't think we're talking about the same thing.

Suppose we have three players. Alex, Bob, and Carl. Alex builds the craftsman (and receives his two gold). Bob then takes his turn and builds a tavern.

The question is, does Bob's action cause Alex to receive two more gold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I alreade explained before. Based on my understanding on the rules, it is stated that:
[q:rulebook p.9"]Each time a player acquires a new Building tile (including the Craftsman tile granting this ability), the player receives 2 Gold coins[/q]

The difference lies on the bold phrases (bold phrases emphasize mine), "a player" means any player, while "the player" in this context is the tile owner.
According this description, I assume that the owner gets 2 gold coins each time a player acquires a new building tile.
And based on your specific question:
Quote:

yes Alex receives 2 more gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
As I alreade explained before. Based on my understanding on the rules, it is stated that:
[q:rulebook p.9"]Each time a player acquires a new Building tile (including the Craftsman tile granting this ability), the player receives 2 Gold coins

The difference lies on the bold phrases (bold phrases emphasize mine), "a player" means any player, while "the player" in this context is the tile owner.
According this description, I assume that the owner gets 2 gold coins each time a player acquires a new building tile.
And based on your specific question:
Quote:

yes Alex receives 2 more gold.
[/q
It can be interpreted both ways. Thematically it makes sense to get 2 gold for every building made, mechanically it seems WAY overpowered at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's insanely overpowered if that is the case. I like Archon a lot,and I believe it will be remembered as a pioneering game (it is the first to implement a card-driven worker placement mechanism with upgradable workers) but it has some serious balancing issues. The building strategy is already the clearly dominant path to victory (as opposed to the magister strategy or the king's demand strategy), and OP buldings like this only exacerbate the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotiris Tsantilas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

The answer is a. The owner of Craftsman takes 2 gold only for the buildings that HE builds.
Thanks for your interest in the game.

Sotiris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sot07 wrote:
Hi,

The answer is a. The owner of Craftsman takes 2 gold only for the buildings that HE builds.
Thanks for your interest in the game.

Sotiris

Well, the tile description is a bit off. It should use "the" not "a" but then again I'm not master in English language so...

Not so overpowered then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it seemed like a common sense interpretation of the rules, if not a literal one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brocklebank
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schopfenhoffen wrote:
Subject: Builder's Guild + House of trade Clarification

Please can you clarify:

2)House of trade:
a) pay 1 more on marketplace sellings and discount 1 money on marketplace buying or
b) pay 1 more on marketplace sellings and discount to 1 money only (so you pay only 1 money) on every marketplace buying

And what about the second question?
If you have the House of Trade can you buy resources for 0, if the resource track is full (usual price 1 - 1 for HoT).
Or do you always buy resources for 1 regardless of the state of the resource track?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Swenholt
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
The rules stated that
rulebook p.10 wrote:
The player gets 1 additional Gold coin when selling Resources in the Markeplace. The player pays 1 Gold coin less when buying Resources in the Marketplace

My copy of the [English] rules state that the player pays one gold coin when buying resources in the Marketplace, not one gold coin less. The downloadable rulebook on the Archon page here shows the same thing. Is there an errata to the rules as written that makes it one coin less, rather than 1 coin? That would certainly make the building less unbalanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotiris Tsantilas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You gain 1 coin more when selling, and you pay 1 coin less when buying.
Great avatar Mark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steen larsen
msg tools
I have read both the Englich and the german rules for the game and in the question about the hous of trate it clearly states " The player pays 1 gold when buying " And in the German rules it is even more clear.. It says " the player pays ONLY ONE GOLD when buying a resource"..

So .. That must mean.. You pay 1 gold pr resurce you buy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotiris Tsantilas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
steenlarsen wrote:
I have read both the Englich and the german rules for the game and in the question about the hous of trate it clearly states " The player pays 1 gold when buying " And in the German rules it is even more clear.. It says " the player pays ONLY ONE GOLD when buying a resource"..

So .. That must mean.. You pay 1 gold pr resurce you buy...

It's a typo. Trust me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steen larsen
msg tools
might be.. but then there is À typo in three languages English, German and i french... ???
Hmmm it dosent sound right to me... But ill give you that, it would balance the game somewhat to read it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
steenlarsen wrote:
might be.. but then there is À typo in three languages English, German and i french... ???
Hmmm it dosent sound right to me... But ill give you that, it would balance the game somewhat to read it that way.

Since he is one of the designers, I think you can trust him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.