Subject: Area & Grid Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian Hayduk
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Hi guys,

Can you think of any games that include both area movement (or point to point) for general positioning AND grid/tactical movement within those areas to resolve details in battle (preferably not having to switch to a different board to do so)?

I'm wondering if such a hybrid mechanic exists, if it's intuitive or too clunky, and/or if it helps to speed gameplay on larger maps when there are no battles to resolve (thus no real need for tactics for the moment).

Thanks for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Titan, but you do need to use separate boards for area movement and tactical movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know any that do that all on one board. Seems to me the scale would be nearly impossible to accommodate.

Starfire does that in space. The largest map is the collection of systems connected by wormholes. I think the biggest tactical map still encompasses an entire solar system! The fleet markers move on that. As they get closer, the individual ships are laid on and combat takes place an a (still large) smaller tactical board. Times scales with movement as well, with turns ranging from 12 secs (I think) to a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quebec 1759 and War of 1812 have point to point moves and the battles are small enough to resolve on the map (usually).

Field Commander: Alexander uses area movement and sometimes the battles are small enough to fight on the map.

A House Divided also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer / Mighty Empires in their various incarnations specifically do the tactical / strategic split.

In a way, so does Galaxy Defenders as the game controlled aliens use a different area based movement over the player based smaller hex grid.

There was a robot combat game that did the same, but the name escapes me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.