7 Posts

Sherlock Holmes Detective Story Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Forced to add to rolls? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin N
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have played this a few times, and have a clarification question: Are you required to add to roles based on traits or equipment?

For example, I have the Calabash Pipe which adds one to my action table rolls. If my roll brings the total to 11, adding will make my total 12. However, once I really wanted an 11 for a clue event that I needed. Am I required to add to my roll, or does this allow me to add 1 if I choose? I noticed in some actions that it says you "may" add 1 to roll based on traits, so I assume that there is an option there. In other places, where it says that you "add one" does this mean "you must add one" to the roll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My rule of thumb with such questions is, "Go with whatever makes for a better story."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
My rule of thumb with such questions is, "Go with whatever makes for a better story."

I've always played that you must add to the die roll. But I think it's really up to player. There is no wrong answer, IMO.

Mo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mackenzie
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good point. Sometimes you don't want the highest available result on a table - a small failing of the game I realise.

I agree with the above answers - definitely go with what the game needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin N
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input. I think I like having it as an option as it adds a little choice to the game. As a Sherlock Holmes fan, I really enjoy this. Thank you for putting it together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mackenzie
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knewgie wrote:
Thanks for the input. I think I like having it as an option as it adds a little choice to the game. As a Sherlock Holmes fan, I really enjoy this. Thank you for putting it together!

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you're enjoying it. I have grand plans for improvements and changes so let me know if you come across anything you think would improve the game further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin N
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are welcome. It is clear that you have put a lot of work into it. I read elsewhere that you were looking into the use of cards in order to add some choice. Thinking of that and my interpretation of the calabash pipe, I was wondering if it would work to use cards with clues to beef up the role of clues. What about drawing a card with a number on it whenever you find a clue. That card could then be used in place of a roll to obtain the number you choose later on in that adventure... Or instead of a number, the cards could refer to a Watson event, Or a Holmes event that you could play to have that event instead of rolling. It might require some rebalancing in spots, but would allow for some choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.