Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi -

If someone is tied for whatever their Baron wants (eg. fewest bonds), do they get the points? One of the Barons (biggest engine) specifically says no ties - which makes me think the other Barons do get points on ties.

The rules say a hex with any blue is a water hex. There are a few tiles where there is just a tiny bit of blue on one corner of the hex (eg. the hex between NY and Philadelphia or the hex 3 spaces West of Chicago.) Are these really water tiles?

thanks,
-TR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tubarush wrote:
Hi -

If someone is tied for whatever their Baron wants (eg. fewest bonds), do they get the points?

No if you stick to a strict reading of the rules which state "if the requirements of the card are met". In the case of a tie "most" or "least" as a requirement is not met.

The Railroad Tycoon rules explicitly state that no one gets points in the case of a tie, unfortunately that line is no longer present in the RotW edition so it's an understandable question.

Tubarush wrote:
The rules say a hex with any blue is a water hex. There are a few tiles where there is just a tiny bit of blue on one corner of the hex (eg. the hex between NY and Philadelphia or the hex 3 spaces West of Chicago.) Are these really water tiles?

Yes. The operative word in the rules is "any" blue, so that by definition includes even the tiniest amount. Since this is unintuitive it's a point we always make sure is clear to new players on any map where there are remotely questionable tiles.

Many of us have expressed the hope that in future editions they will include small blue circles in the center of water hexes much like they have with mountains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The water question is a hotly debated topic in this community. You'll find a number of threads here discussing it (check the RotW forums).
(Some folks disagree with the answer above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boss Trojan wrote:
The water question is a hotly debated topic in this community. You'll find a number of threads here discussing it (check the RotW forums).
(Some folks disagree with the answer above).

The rules as written are absolutely clear. Every discussion I've seen with those suggesting otherwise acknowledge that they are house ruling. I'm all for house rules and use many in my own games, but the OP asked about the rules and I answered accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From a few other posts elsewhere (RotW), particularly those from EndersGame:

Quote:
1. The designer Glenn Drover has stated here: "I don't like this rule. I like that the rivers are all water regardless of the direction (a good clean-up of the old rule)...but I don't think that it makes sense to have the coastal water count, and have a higher cost."
2. The publisher Keith Blume has stated here: "Any hex containing water, ocean or otherwise is a water hex." And here: "Glenn turned over a great design to us, and we spent an extensive amouont of time playtesting it, and the rulebook and final edits were executed based on the results of that playtesting, and that is why the water rule is the way it is. Cetainly you are welcome to play it the way Glenn prefers, I am just delighted you are enjoying the game :-)

I wasn't trying to say you were wrong, just letting the OP know that there are other interpretations out there that he may want to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boss Trojan wrote:
I wasn't trying to say you were wrong, just letting the OP know that there are other interpretations out there that he may want to think about.

Absolutely, and I was just clarifying that while others are house ruling otherwise, it is exactly that when they do so since the publisher has weighed in on the issue and explicitly stated what the official rule is.

Again, I am a HUGE fan of house rules, but I find it is always useful to know what the official rules are as a starting point when deciding which ones to bend and tweak.

It's also an unfortunately necessary evil when playing with the kind of people who are rabidly against house rules and variants and refuse to play anything in a way that departs from official rules and rulings.

While we stick with the actual rules on this one, another example of such a gap between designer, developer, and publisher is being allowed to skip an action. Martin Wallace has stated he feels you should be able to, Drover hasn't weighed in, and Blume states you must take an action on your turn.

We allow skipping in our games in the extremely rare instance that someone would want to, but since the publisher has weighed in, this is not an interpretation it's a house rule even though it's following the stated preference of the man who birthed this entire lineage of superb railway games.

As far as I'm concerned anything everyone at the table can agree upon before beginning is quite literally… fair game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.