Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I'm looking for suggestions for games that will scratch the same itch as A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition).

My favorite things about the game are the simultaneous order planning, the combat which is based on position, alliances, and bluffing rather than rolling dice, and the bidding for track positions. Of those, diceless combat is probably the most important thing.

Ideally, I want something that plays in less time and accommodates a broader range of players. Ideally, the game shouldn't be much more complex, but that wouldn't be a total deal breaker

Kemet seems wonderful.
Hegemonic is interesting too, although it may be longer than what I'm looking for.
What else is out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mustafa
Indonesia
Tangerang Selatan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
spartacus, but it have dice rolling combat though..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet is not that great and nothing like A Game of Thrones in any way.

It's a Euro game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to look at some of the Diplomacy variants. Some of the smaller maps you can use can be played quite quickly [and you can limit discussion time to speed the game along].

Maybe also consider something like Conquest of the Empire, Struggle of Empires [both similar games], and maybe even Shogun or Wallenstein (second edition) at a stretch [though I'm getting further from your criteria here].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars?

It only plays up to 4, and has card-based combat, so I'm not sure if that meets your needs.

I was going to suggest Rex: Final Days of an Empire, until I saw that you already have it. But it's unrated...have you tried it with your group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:
Runewars?

It only plays up to 4, and has card-based combat, so I'm not sure if that meets your needs.

I was going to suggest Rex: Final Days of an Empire, until I saw that you already have it. But it's unrated...have you tried it with your group?

I need to update my collection. I haven't owned Rex for about a year. I could never talk my group into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.