United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play BSG regularly enough to bother with these house rules, but perhaps one day, ya never know. Another point would be to attempt to come up with some quicker fixes, as opposed to some of the variants posted where you'd need another page or 3 in the rulebook to explain everything.

Cylon Ambush (Dcard)
put out 2 basestars instead of 1,
expend 2 fuel instead of just 1

or also...
move the Pursuit marker to auto-attack.

Pegasus Treachery
Every time you resolve a Broadcast Location, also +2 to Pursuit track.

Daybreak Treachery
Every time you resolve Dradis Contact, when there are 9 or less raiders on the MGB +1 to Pursuit track.
I want this number high enough that it's less likely to be gamed like that too

Anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's difficult to not game the fleet board. I don't blame people that do it.

Sure, there are some egregious examples of players abusing fleet board mechanics, but most of the problems that exist (Cylon Ambush, Dradis Contact and Exodus' very own Derelict Basestar[wtf!]) are not always done intentionally by players.

You either accept that Exodus does not play nicely with the other expansions or you house rule it. And then you houserule this. And then you houserule that. Eventually, you find yourself implementing wonky rules to cover up the fact the fact that Exodus is a mediocre expansion with a Mechanically stubborn fleet board.

Okay, maybe I went too far there. But, when I used to play with all expansions: I, too, found frustration with gameplay mechanics. Then, I thought of house ruling and implementing tweaks.

In the end, I thought this was a disservice to players, new and veterans, to force upon them a new ruleset that was tailored to my own preferences.

Now, I have two setups: Base Game/Pegasus/Exodus and Base Game/Daybreak. I ask the group which they prefer and always prefer Daybreak. (I think Exodus plays nicely with Pegasus, but Exodus and Daybreak do not get along whatsoever).

TL;DR If you find yourself fixing/house ruling Exodus' Fleet Board, consider that the problem is Exodus itself. You shouldn't have to change the Base Game's components, as well as Daybreaks and Pegasus' components to fix Exodus' fleet board mechanics.

Exodus is only one expansion, yet it's implementation has such a dominant effect on the base game and the other expansions. Why should one Expansion's inclusion require players to house rule countless components from other expansions? It's time to take a long hard look at what Exodus adds and either decide whether she's worth the effort of giving Peggy and Debbie (Daybreak) a houseruling overhaul.

In my eyes, I kicked Exodus to the curb sometime ago. She's now just an Ex.

Sure, we have casual affairs when we bump into one another at gaming meetups. But, I know it will never be. I just don't love her as much as I love Debbie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I don't play BSG regularly enough to bother with these house rules, but perhaps one day, ya never know. Another point would be to attempt to come up with some quicker fixes, as opposed to some of the variants posted where you'd need another page or 3 in the rulebook to explain everything.

Cylon Ambush (Dcard)

or also...

Pegasus Treachery

Daybreak Treachery
Every time you resolve Dradis Contact, when there are 9 or less raiders on the MGB +1 to Pursuit track.

Anything else?

Okay, now for on topic.

Your house rules are susceptible to being gamed as well. Sometimes it's downright advantageous to advance the jump prep tracks so players can setup timing of Fleet attacks. Conversely, this also gives reveals cylons a way to advance the CFB far too efficiently when it is not their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwijiboe wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Cylon Ambush (Dcard)

or also...

Pegasus Treachery

Daybreak Treachery

Anything else?

Okay, now for on topic.

Your house rules are susceptible to being gamed as well. Sometimes it's downright advantageous to advance the jump prep tracks so players can setup timing of Fleet attacks. Conversely, this also gives reveals cylons a way to advance the CFB far too efficiently when it is not their turn.

Removing Exodus is generally not an option for those who like it, much like how not playing BSG is generally not an option for those who like it.

As for gaming this, I suppose we could just change it to advance to auto-attack. Push come to shove, this would be geared towards a group that's seen more human victories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
As I tell everyone, my non-multi-page simple house rule for the CFB (that we never play without) is:

Cylon Activation Icon:

1)If there are no ships on the Main Board, spawn a new ship of the correct type on the CFB as usual

2) If there are ships on the CFB, move the pursuit track. (regardless of what is on the main board)

With the one extra rule that when placing civilians from the "place 2 civilians" pursuit track space, then you must place those 2 in the same space (following normal placement rules)

Much better than trying to remember alterations to lots of cards.

Overall we have 3 house rules. The above house rule for CFB, the unpredictable destiny house rule (3 of each card in destinty, take 12 of those etc..) and the house rule that if the last card in the loyalty deck is a cylon card reduce all resources by 1.

Most people I play with probably don't even know they are house rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:

I think this is a disservice to new and veteran players alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwijiboe wrote:
Kamakaze wrote:

I think this is a disservice to new and veteran players alike.

More of a case of avoiding confusion by explaining the as written rules and then explaining the house rules, and the house rules are simple and work well, so they don't expect them to be house rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Simple house rule I've used for a while: Any time a ship would be placed directly on the main game board, it gets placed on the CFB instead and increases pursuit by 1.
It works well enough and has the added value of being only 1 sentence. A lot easier to explain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the issues that everyone's looking to solve here? What are people gaming about the Cylon Fleet board?

In general, I think BSG is a game that's uniquely resistant to degenerate strategies, because 1) there's so many unpredictable things that can happen, expending resources trying to manipulate them is a losing proposition, and 2) the Cylons can always interfere with your plans, especially if they're delicate.

That's not to say I'm not interested in hearing more about the problems you've run into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beri wrote:
What are the issues that everyone's looking to solve here? What are people gaming about the Cylon Fleet board?

In general, I think BSG is a game that's uniquely resistant to degenerate strategies, because 1) there's so many unpredictable things that can happen, expending resources trying to manipulate them is a losing proposition, and 2) the Cylons can always interfere with your plans, especially if they're delicate.

That's not to say I'm not interested in hearing more about the problems you've run into.
I've mentioned the causes of the issue in my OP. As for the issues, meta-gaming the CFB so that it stalls, and stuff like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your OP is pretty unclear. I'm trying to be on your side here, expressing interest and learning more about your concerns, so stonewalling me isn't getting either of us anywhere.

Doing my own research, it looks like there's two major concerns:
- Raider activations with only a few Raiders on the board
- Basestars with a crippled hangar and no Raiders/Heavy Raiders/Centurions on the board

The first one seems pretty easy. If your group doesn't find Raiders dangerous until X Raiders are on the board, then just say that, if less than X Raiders are on the board, the Cylon Fleet still activates. A dynamic choice would be to set X = current distance traveled.

For the Basestars, you could say either that the fleet board still activates on a Raider or Heavy Raider icon if nothing else happens. Or, say that each time a Basestar is prevented from taking an action, you roll a die; on a 4 or less, the damage is repaired.

In my view, I'd rather modify the mechanics of the CFB rather than applying errata to individual cards. Card errata is always a mess to keep track of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The general description of the problem is "anything that spawns a small number of Cylon ships" - having a crippled basestar around (damaged Hangars and Weapons) is worthwhile when playing with CACs too - unless you're using the Ionian Nebula damage chits, it means any other basestars that appear only need to be hit twice, and there's a 50% chance of having +2 to the second attack, and whichever damage you're using, it effectively limits the game to 1 basestar.

There are two main problems people have with deliberately taking advantage of these things:

A) it's unthematic - humans shouldn't be looking to attract stray basestars in order to keep the rest of the Cylons from finding them

B) the non-Exodus cards involved were designed and balanced with the summoning of Cylon ships as a disadvantage, meaning the relative strengths of cards are changed by the pursuit mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How common is that Basestar situation?

50% chance of one of the tokens being Hangars or Weapons, 33% of the second one being the other token.

So this trick works 10.5% of the times you attempt it, and that's after the low percentages to actually hit a Basestar twice. It's pretty effective when it connects, but this is sounding like one of those situations that BGG can lead to - decrying a system more based on principle than its actual effect on gameplay.

Are you remembering that Basestars heal when moved back to the Cylon Fleet board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.