United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sun Tzu
Aton
Roma

These three 2-player games seem to have a similar mechanic: placing a card behind one of several options. Or, more specifically, sorting your cards and choosing behind which option to place each one. If you know all three games, what's your opinion of each? Which do you like the best?

I know Aton and Roma but not Dynasties. I like Roma very slightly more than Aton, but really I love both games. Funny - they all were published in 2005.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't care for Dynasties and traded it away. In my opinion, Aton requires more thought because you have to distribute 4 cards on 4 cartouche. In Roma, the dice limit where you can play, so the decision making is easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While they share a similar mechanic on the surface, I think the games play pretty differently.

Dynasties - bluffing and second-guessing. If you do/don't like bluffing, you will/won't like this game. It's fun and it's quick, but sometimes it feels like you can't make a single correct move.

Roma - lots of back-and-forth, destroying your opponents cards and stealing VP from each other. I ended up getting rid of this because the play time can vary so widely (once the VP pool empties the game is over, but if you are just stealing from each other back and forth, nothing really happens). I would say this game gives you the least control - you are dependent on dice rolls and card draws to help you win.

Aton - this is basically an abstract. I like it, and I agree that it has the most interesting decisions of the three games, but at the end of the day all you're doing is placing tokens on a grid in slightly different ways from turn to turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.