Subject: Variant gender characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Mc
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Does anyone know if the variant gender characters vary in ways other than appearance? I wouldn't think a Saloon Girl and a Piano Player would have matching stats and abilities, but maybe they were clever about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I don't think they've specifically said anything about it, but I'm pretty sure they're going to have the same stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
No one shoots the Piano Player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:

They just eat his limbs then suck his mind out through his nose instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Beorndog wrote:

They just eat his limbs then suck his mind out through his nose instead.

That would be the Midnight Creeper doing that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Densmc wrote:
Does anyone know if the variant gender characters vary in ways other than appearance? I wouldn't think a Saloon Girl and a Piano Player would have matching stats and abilities, but maybe they were clever about it.

The alternate gender figures are literally just a miniature difference. There's no difference between the Saloon Girl and the Piano Player. Just think of it as an "Entertainer" class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Mc
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Many thanks for the information. That was my assumption. Though honestly, if I have to play the piano player with a Saloon Girl character card, portrait and all, it probably won't happen very often. Too many other options that don't wobble when they roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm hoping the opposite sex characters will also have a sheet with appropriate artwork, instead of just a different miniature. I have no problem with them having the same stats, though.

I wonder if they could just use the back of the character sheet. Print male on one side and female on the other.

Even if not, I bet they will have downloadable ones regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been following all the threads. Has it been posted somewhere what the various stats are?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the gameplay videos, I had been assuming that the variants would come with their own character sheets, but this thread prompted me to check the original ks page, where they're described just as "variant figures", so I don't know anymore!

Common sense would dictate, though, that if nothing else, if you're playing the Piano Player you would have a Piano Player sheet, because you're not playing the Saloon Girl. But if you're playing the Gunslinger or Outlaw, it seems a bit more hazy. Hm.

(Yes, this post really did contribute nothing to the discussion...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
spalanzani wrote:
(Yes, this post really did contribute nothing to the discussion...)

Welcome to the internet.

I'm also of the opinion that the stats will be the same and I hope there are character sheets for each, or that the sheets are reversible with the male on one side and the female on the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noshrok Grimskull
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Wreckers don't call for backup, they call for cleanup!
mbmbmbmb
Doesn't even need to be a two-sided character sheet.
I'd be contend with one that has a small character portrait of both the male and female character on it and reads
"Saloon Girl / Piano Player", "Cowboy / Cowgirl", etc. where appropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a double-sided character sheet would be best indeed or the double portrait/title.
even though the stats and abilities might be same, you still have some choice of which starting abilities to use, maybe there you can make a difference.
maybe gender might also cause a different effect in gameplay with some monster abilities or events

possibly they kept them with same stats to avoid unneeded discussions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And what if one player in the group wants to play the Saloon Girl and an other the Piano Player? If they provide the miniatures, I'd prefer to have different boards for them. But I'd understand if this was not financially feasible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noshrok Grimskull
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Wreckers don't call for backup, they call for cleanup!
mbmbmbmb
What if the character stat card is just your starting point and isn't really needed during the game?
After all, what with the campaign and experience system that's included, you'll need some form of tracking your advances, equipment, etc. anyway.
So maybe starting stat cards are all you need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They could be RPG style character sheets, where you actually write on them. You could print them off their website with whatever artwork you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
They could be RPG style character sheets, where you actually write on them. You could print them off their website with whatever artwork you want.

Very good idea! I hope Jason will read this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Mc
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Now this is under my skin. I agree with most here that matching stats are perfectly fine. But not having matching boards diminishes the value of the variant miniatures all around. Hopefully FFP feels similarly and has one of the remedies listed here in their pocket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cotton Donkey
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping there is a full color printed hero sheet for every hero available, variant or not.

But I found this in the Kickstarter FAQ:

What are the character sheets like?
There will be blank Hero Record Sheets in the book that can be copied out, and they should be available on the official website to print as well. You don’t need these character sheets as you can use the full color printed Heroes, but it is helpful to be able to write stuff down when playing over many adventures with the same Hero.

Also, I'm pretty sure that as an add-on (green backround), for $10 you could purchase a stack of character sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cottondonkey wrote:
I'm hoping there is a full color printed hero sheet for every hero available, variant or not.

But I found this in the Kickstarter FAQ:

What are the character sheets like?
There will be blank Hero Record Sheets in the book that can be copied out, and they should be available on the official website to print as well. You don’t need these character sheets as you can use the full color printed Heroes, but it is helpful to be able to write stuff down when playing over many adventures with the same Hero.

Also, I'm pretty sure that as an add-on (green backround), for $10 you could purchase a stack of character sheets.

Yes, this occurred to me last night, I'm glad someone else remembered it to post it! Indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cottondonkey wrote:

My suspicion is that your hope is not the way FFP will go. The colored hero cards are for non-campaign games -- just playing a single session and being done. If you're playing a campaign, you're going to want a character sheet instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sly
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Confirmation in the rulebook that the hero cards are two sided, male and female artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Glad to be wrong on that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
The pertinent section from the rule book:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.