Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: my take on the world of myth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
i found out about this game a couple weeks ago and the artwork/gameplay really got to me immediately. after reading a couple of reviews and browsing this forum, i can say i knew what id get myself into. but i was up for the challenge and actually looking for a toolkit to create my own adventures in my own world.
so i got my box today and after browsing through all the minis, chits and pieces i stumble over those two priest tokens. lets put aside the fact that one of them is wearing glasses and their catholic robes are kinda out of place but my head started working. i immediately had a very specific picture of this world in my head and i wanted to share it with you guys just for shits and giggles, and maybe one or two of you get hooked up on this storyline and want to dive into and expand it.

im german so excuse my rather clunky writing...anyway here we go:

Since centuries Darkness is surrounding the world.
The High-Priests, led by their godly Avatar only known as "the God-sent", rulers of the last city-state of "An-nur", claim that its God´s punishment for our sinful lives. A Test of will and faith if you want. It is also them who control the notorious "Khadmimh-Guard", bitter remnants of the once glorious Army who now serve as inquisitors, enforcers and protectors of the holy throne. They roam the streets and alleys looking for sinners and so-called "Lurkers", accused conspirators with the Darkness.
While the people linger for the bare-necessities of life, the priests, well guarded by their fortified churches dine on silver-plates. Their demands are outrageous and often horrifying. Women, men, children disappear in the middle of the night, teared out of their beds, pushed into the doomed life of slavery and perversion.
Mass-services are held on daily basis to put poisonous words and foul truth in the peoples minds and hearts. While most of mankind keep their eyes shut, or even fanatically follow the church´s lies, some rebellious man and women chose the only free life left:
outside the enormous walls of An-nur in complete darkness, facing its abominations and twisted horrors, cherishing the free thinking beside small campfires...the only light left to guide them...ever searching for the truth. but the truth...is sometimes best kept buried...

thanks for your attention....sid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaeu Li
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the point of this post is to say that the priest characters are out-of-place in the world of Myth then I agree with you. They really should have redesigned them to keep in line with the rest of the Myth vision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the point of this post is to show people that myth brings the ability with it to create worlds...at least it inspired me after the first 10 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillis
Canada
Killam
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is true, as far as my young family is concerned. Of all the games I own, I have not seen my three kids (ages 12-8) use their imagination so much post game sessions. The creating of worlds continues in my family in various settings. What is really cool is that we can turn it around, take what they create and reenact their ideas in the next game session thanks to the flexibility of the Myth system.

Games like Descent have some choice too, such as the overlord monster picks and character upgrades. However, I believe Myth edges that out with everything in the game at your disposal. Even if you wanted insane difficulty, you can do it. You are the master of the story, as the game was designed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chimaerical wrote:
If the point of this post is to say that the priest characters are out-of-place in the world of Myth then I agree with you. They really should have redesigned them to keep in line with the rest of the Myth vision.

Why are priest characters out of place, when two of the NPCs are dog-collar-wearing real-life priests?

Speaking as someone who has been vociferously critical of MCG, both of their rules (difficult to figure out and extremely unfun when you have figured them out) and their dismissive attitude to their customers... I actually like the Myth world a great deal. Things like rat brigands, amazon mongeese and the Sycline feel very characterful and unique. I actually really enjoy their prose too, and I think they give you enough of their world to make of it whatever you like. The extra quests in the Kickstarter really seemed thought-provoking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
F0rmally Kn0wn As wrote:
This is true, as far as my young family is concerned. Of all the games I own, I have not seen my three kids (ages 12-8) use their imagination so much post game sessions. The creating of worlds continues in my family in various settings. What is really cool is that we can turn it around, take what they create and reenact their ideas in the next game session thanks to the flexibility of the Myth system.
Games like Descent have some choice too, such as the overlord monster picks and character upgrades. However, I believe Myth edges that out with everything in the game at your disposal. Even if you wanted insane difficulty, you can do it. You are the master of the story, as the game was designed.

Dan, as much as your love for this game is honest and sincere (if unrequited!) I'm not sure the story elements are all they could be. The random draws don't help and the way that Act and Chapter quests get tangled up REALLY quick if you try to do them together (you'll simply end up ignoring the Chapter one so you can finish the Act one in time, which isn't very characterful... 'Oh well, we'll just save Lucy next time...')

And Myth is in no way suitable for 8-12 year olds, unless you're literally just moving the (admittedly cool) minis around and making everything up.

To be honest, if you like 'stories' and gaming with your kids, you'd likely be better off with the new D&D rules or something like 'Adventures in Kaphornia' (an excellent cinematic game that kids and adults can both enjoy) than Myth, which is an ESPECIALLY fiddly and over-complicated board-game with rather weak story elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaeu Li
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcus the Ready wrote:
chimaerical wrote:

Why are priest characters out of place, when two of the NPCs are dog-collar-wearing real-life priests?

Speaking as someone who has been vociferously critical of MCG, both of their rules (difficult to figure out and extremely unfun when you have figured them out) and their dismissive attitude to their customers... I actually like the Myth world a great deal. Things like rat brigands, amazon mongeese and the Sycline feel very characterful and unique. I actually really enjoy their prose too, and I think they give you enough of their world to make of it whatever you like. The extra quests in the Kickstarter really seemed thought-provoking.

Everything in the world has an interesting fantasy flavour with the exception of the design of the priests. That is what I was saying. I enjoy priest and other pseudo religious characters in fantasy but dropping what amounts to a real-life catholic (or otherwise) priest breaks the narrative and artistic direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chimaerical wrote:

Everything in the world has an interesting fantasy flavour with the exception of the design of the priests. That is what I was saying. I enjoy priest and other pseudo religious characters in fantasy but dropping what amounts to a real-life catholic (or otherwise) priest breaks the narrative and artistic direction.

Maybe. I think they are real-life friends of the designers making a cameo?

To me, that's a bit of whimsy, but I guess it could feel jarring to others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chimaerical wrote:
Marcus the Ready wrote:
chimaerical wrote:

They are real people, friends of Brian at least and perhaps Keith as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillis
Canada
Killam
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Marcus

Unrequited?

My 10 and 12 year old handle the story and game elements fine. It is a real treat sitting down with them and playing. We haven't had the difficulty that you indicated with the quests. We do exactly as intended and build the story around the quest. There was a suggestion made once here at BGG to go past tense and feel that works beautifully.

We have learned from MERCS that the world will slowly be fleshed out with the patches and future expansions. I am excited to build the world around the imagination we have used already.

This is what Sid was suggesting here in this thread. While some people have struggled with gameplay, rules, writing, customer service and various other things, I cannot say I have had any of these problems. I have bought the game, researched it, played it, enjoyed it. There are others like me out there who feel the same. I guess I feel bad for others who had a negative experience. I was positive from the outset to reflect my experience with Myth, before and after purchasing a copy. My feelings were not unfounded. I had a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaeu Li
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcus the Ready wrote:
chimaerical wrote:

Maybe. I think they are real-life friends of the designers making a cameo?

To me, that's a bit of whimsy, but I guess it could feel jarring to others.

I've no issue with cameos of friends in the game. Quite the opposite actually. My issue is that while the rest of the design is generic fantasy, the clerical collar is very specific to something in the real world. It makes the design seem out of place.

Truth be told, the illustration style of every character on the allies page does not match the illustrative style of the rest of myth, but that is another matter.

None of the above is a major deal, and certainly will not affect my enjoyment of the game. It is simply my thoughts on the subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.