Hide
16 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Noob Questions: Monster Movement & Returning from Other World rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Makoto Nanaya
msg tools
Please excuse me if these questions have already been answered elsewhere. After some searching, I couldn't find the answers.

1. Monster Movement: If a monster is supposed to move (its symbols match up, the arrows match up, etc) but the monster is currently on a gate to which your investigator must return the very next turn (and the other investigators are all far away), does the monster actually move - OR, does it just wait for you to return? Yes, I know you get a free pass when returning from the other world, but still, if you choose to take your pass, you'll still have to fight it in the next turn.

SO - I think the monster stays put and waits for your return. Right?

2. Returning from the Other World - this would be after successfully completing the second OW encounter and then using your movement phase to move back to a "Corresponding Gate." What does a "Corresponding Gate" mean? Is it the exact one you left through? Or one that shares the exact same name? I know this is a dumb question, but I'll appreciate your clarification.

3. Finally, I'm playing solo and controlling two investigators myself. As I go through the various phases of a turn, do I exhaust each phase for each investigator one at a time? Or, do I alternate - doing upkeep for one, then upkeep for the other; movement for one, then movement for the other, encounters for one, encounters for the other, etc.?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Monster movement happens during the Mythos card phase. In your example the monster would move. It would only stay if there was an investigator currently in the location.

2. You can return via any gate to the Other World that you were in. This means that you can return to a different gate than the one you entered.

3. Resolve each phase for all investigators. So, in player order, do everyone's upkeep, then everyone's movement etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makoto Nanaya
msg tools
Thank you.

Tonight I was playing with Ashcan Pete and Gloria Goldberg. During Gloria's VERY first location encounter, she had to enter into combat with a Warlock. She had a fight rating of 3, but the Warlock's modifier was -3. So, she automatically fails the combat (she also automatically failed the evade).

Based on the combat rules, as I understand them, Gloria must keep entering combat until she is eventually rendered unconscious (and then sent to the hospital, discarding her appropriate number of possessions, etc).

Is this correct? If so, what a way to begin a game ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I Has a Stick! A Tiny Green Stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
Makoto_Nanaya wrote:
Thank you.

Tonight I was playing with Ashcan Pete and Gloria Goldberg. During Gloria's VERY first location encounter, she had to enter into combat with a Warlock. She had a fight rating of 3, but the Warlock's modifier was -3. So, she automatically fails the combat (she also automatically failed the evade).

Based on the combat rules, as I understand them, Gloria must keep entering combat until she is eventually rendered unconscious (and then sent to the hospital, discarding her appropriate number of possessions, etc).

I'm afraid that you are quite correct.

It IS a terrible way for a game to start, but Arkham will treat you unfairly now and then. You won't see something so devastating at the outset of most games.

Personally, I recommend using at least three Investigators for solo play, preferably four. There's more book keeping, but the game plays much better; it is VERY difficult to win with just two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makoto_Nanaya wrote:
Thank you.

This can be a very evil game. Sometimes you just never have a chance.

No matter what the skill modifiers are, spending a clue token will always allow you to roll one die. Gloria starts with 2 clue tokens and your first move is typically to head to a location with a clue token - so hopefully you didn't forget to spend your clue tokens to survive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makoto Nanaya
msg tools
I appreciate the confirmation.

One question about spending clues on skill checks. In AH (as opposed to EH, which I LOVE. OH my gosh, I have had some unbelievable battles with Shuby), spending one clue token entitles you to one ADDITIONAL die, correct?

So, in the example I described with Gloria, I actually could have used her 2 clue tokens (1 at a time) to give myself 2 extra dice.

In EH, on the other hand, using a clue token only allows you to reroll one die per 1 clue token spent. Unlike AH, spending 1 clue token does not grant you 1 additional die. Correct? I guess they're kind of the same thing, though?

Thanks for helping me feel my way through the Mythos. No one I know really likes board games, so it's super encouraging to join in an online community of others. Maybe one day someone will actually want to play with me ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makoto_Nanaya wrote:
In EH, on the other hand, using a clue token only allows you to reroll one die per 1 clue token spent. Unlike AH, spending 1 clue token does not grant you 1 additional die. Correct? I guess they're kind of the same thing, though?

I can't speak for EH, but in AH you can attempt the skill check and then spend 1 clue token to roll one additional die. You can then spend another if you wish (so you don't need to spend multiple tokens at once).

To add to what I said before: a clue token always allow you to toll one die, even if the modifier puts you into negative values in the skill check, eg. Your combat is +2 and the monster is -4. You don't need to spend 3 clue tokens to get yourself up to +1. 1 clue token always lets you roll 1 die (well, unless something like an Environment stops you spending clue tokens...).

Embrace the madness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makoto Nanaya
msg tools
Ok - here's a convoluted scenario. Tonight poor Mandy Thompson was stuck in the other world. Normally, I know investigators do not receive movement points in the Otherworld, but I had the cherished motorcycle card!

So, could I use the 2 "extra" movement points granted me by this card to use my Book of Dzyan unique item? If so, I would have gained the Find Gate spell.

Now, if I did indeed follow this logic and gain the Find Gate spell, could I then cast it, and, if successful, immediately return to Arkham (to a gate of my choosing) from the Other World?

I think this is right? As always, thank you ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makoto_Nanaya wrote:
Ok - here's a convoluted scenario. Tonight poor Mandy Thompson was stuck in the other world. Normally, I know investigators do not receive movement points in the Otherworld, but I had the cherished motorcycle card!

So, could I use the 2 "extra" movement points granted me by this card to use my Book of Dzyan unique item? If so, I would have gained the Find Gate spell.

Now, if I did indeed follow this logic and gain the Find Gate spell, could I then cast it, and, if successful, immediately return to Arkham (to a gate of my choosing) from the Other World?

I think this is right? As always, thank you ...

Rulebook page 8: If an investigator is in an Other World at the beginning of
the Movement Phase, he receives no movement points.
Instead, his movement depends on whether he is in the
first (left) or second (right) area of the Other World.

The motorcycle card does not circumvent this rule, so you cannot use anything that requires you to spend movement point. Also note that the rule states "at the beginning of the Movement Phase". This means that can not spend movement points when you return to Arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makoto Nanaya
msg tools
All right, I have one more:

Do monster move (during the regular mythos phase) if all of your investigators are in other world locations?

Technically, your investigators are not in Arkham, but the monsters could "know" which gates the investigators will return to and move to them.

With most monsters this would just inch them closer, but with the Hound of Tindalos, it would actually move him to your gate, just waiting for you (although, yes, I know you do not encounter the monster on the turn you return).

This scenario seems to make sense because - in general - monsters are always moving TOWARD an investigator (not just moving to move) - right?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lawson
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makoto_Nanaya wrote:
All right, I have one more:

Do monster move (during the regular mythos phase) if all of your investigators are in other world locations?

Technically, your investigators are not in Arkham, but the monsters could "know" which gates the investigators will return to and move to them.

With most monsters this would just inch them closer, but with the Hound of Tindalos, it would actually move him to your gate, just waiting for you (although, yes, I know you do not encounter the monster on the turn you return).

This scenario seems to make sense because - in general - monsters are always moving TOWARD an investigator (not just moving to move) - right?

Thank you.

Actually, you are quite wrong.
First of all, normal monsters don't move towards the investigators (lets leave special cases like Hound, flying monsters, stalker monsters, etc. for now). Monsters move if there the freshly drawn Mythos card shows their diomensional symbol. The background under the sybmol on the mythos card is either black or white - this defines the path for the monsters - if you look at the map of Arkham you will see that locations are connected by paths and each path has white or black arrow.
Lets assume you've just drawn a Mythos card with a Moon symbol in the lower right corner depicted on black. In this case all monsters with Moon symbol (not consdering speial monsters now) will move following the black arrows leading from their current locations.
In our games first player (or GM if have one) calls out something like this: "Monster movement! Moons, Diamonds - movement black. Circles - movement White". Other players check the monsters on the board and move them accordingly.
So it doesn't really matter if all your investigators are in OW - monsters move anyway.
As for the question about the Hound - in your situation the Hound will stay put - there is noone in Arkham locations now to pursuit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makoto Nanaya
msg tools
Thank you. English isn't my first language, so I think I did not properly explain myself. I would like to ask two more questions:

MONSTER MOVEMENT

I think I understand the role the black or white color plays on the arrows during movement phase, but what about the arrow's direction? Must a monster move in the direction indicated by the arrow? So - if the arrow is facing down, a monster cannot move up that direction, right? If this is then the case, then a monster (not including the special monsters) can only ever move through the streets - since no movement arrows ever point in to a location.

Is this correct?

COMBAT QUESTION:

Page 24 of rulebook states: "Physical/Magical Immunity: A Weapon or Spell that adds a bonus of the resisted type provides none of its normal bonus."

So - will your investigator's regular fight rating (as indicated on the investigator card and modified by the slider) still count? If so, then immunity and resistance only negatively affects a modifier provided by a weapon or spell. Correct?

HOWEVER, page 16 of the rulebook states "Spells, on the other hand, grant Magical Combat bonuses."

SO, when you cast a spell to give you a combat bonus, how do you know if the bonus you receive is physical or magical? The text on page 16 makes it seem like the bonus is magical, but page 24 seems to contradict this, making it seem like the bonus could be either. Maybe I am just not understanding. The simple answer just seems to be casting a spell for a combat bonus always gives you a magical combat bonus, but I would like to check.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makoto_Nanaya wrote:

MONSTER MOVEMENT

I think I understand the role the black or white color plays on the arrows during movement phase, but what about the arrow's direction? Must a monster move in the direction indicated by the arrow? So - if the arrow is facing down, a monster cannot move up that direction, right? If this is then the case, then a monster (not including the special monsters) can only ever move through the streets - since no movement arrows ever point in to a location.

Is this correct?

Correct. Only monsters with special movement rules (determined by the colour of the border) will ever move to a location once they've left the location they started in.

Quote:

SO, when you cast a spell to give you a combat bonus, how do you know if the bonus you receive is physical or magical? The text on page 16 makes it seem like the bonus is magical, but page 24 seems to contradict this, making it seem like the bonus could be either. Maybe I am just not understanding. The simple answer just seems to be casting a spell for a combat bonus always gives you a magical combat bonus, but I would like to check.

Spells give you a Magical bonus (unless they specifically say something else).

The reason it's written the way it is, is because there are some Magical weapons (enchanted swords and the like) that give you a Magical bonus rather than the Physical one you get from a regular gun or axe.

Physical resistance / immunity works against Physical bonuses; Magical resistance / immunity works against Magical bonuses. That they're completely separate is quite important - if you're facing a monster with *only* Magical Immunity, a Colt 45 is more useful than Excalibur

Cheers,
Tim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makoto Nanaya
msg tools
Ah, thank you! Is it true then that a monster's immunity or resistance only affects a weapon or spell's bonus and NOT your regular fight number (as determined by your slider)?

So - if I have a fight rating of 5, and am facing a monster with physical immunity, then I still get to roll 5 dice (assuming no other modifier in play), right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, totally correct. You always get your full Fight number (unless something on the monster specifically says to reduce your Fight). Resistances / Immunities only apply to bonuses.

The game is mean, but not *that* mean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makoto Nanaya
msg tools
This game is *pretty* damn mean ... but at least I can draw a cool ally like you.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.