Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Igor Freitas
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game was in my buy list for a while, and finally when I decided to buy it, I read in the forums here that the game contains a lot of mistranslated text, unclear card effects and differences from the original version.

Has the developer / publisher somehow solved this issue? I simply decided to not buy it anymore. I don't want to buy a game that I'll first need to fix in order to play. It's like buying a broken toy. Will cost me research time, I'd have to print a chart with the correct text to consult mid-game, or several sheets of ugly printed paper inside the sleeves with the correct text. And to think I almost paid $22.50 for this sloppy job of translation. It's disrespectful and frustrating, to say the least.

I had a similar (although not so extreme) experience with Asante, unclear lazy text. I finally managed to clarify everything, even though I had to choose some of the solutions by myself. I don't have right now the patience required to go through this process again. And this time it would be worse... Asante is just a matter of interpretation, but in this one some effects change FOR REAL.

I just hope that someone fix this someday, and reprint an updated version. Then I'd certainly buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Robinson
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know there has not been a peep from the designer or the publisher. The translation issues are a mild annoyance, the lack of care from the designer and publisher are what really make me cross. How can you be a hobby boardgame publisher / designer and not take a glance at BGG to see if your customers are looking for rules clarifications?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon wrote:
How can you be a hobby boardgame publisher / designer and not take a glance at BGG to see if your customers are looking for rules clarifications?

Kosmos is not a hobby board game publisher.
They sell games for mass market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excuse me for my ignorance, but what translation? I know the English rules are fine, or at least I did not have any issue with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Freitas
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that the designer has a BGG account. Has anyone tried to PM him? Anyway I don't think he checks BGG often otherwise he would have said something. I hope.

I don't agree that the publisher not checking BGG is an issue. I think the real issue here is maybe lack of game testing of the translated version. "Do people still understand all the rules and text, is everything clear?" - They should check that before releasing. I am not a native english speaker, and yet I can rewrite a text to remove all the ambiguity and make it clear. So why do people who, in theory, get their payment out of it, can't do so??

"They sell games for mass market". Unfortunately that's the thing. The same thing happens in Brazil with almost all producers. "Why improve anything if everyone is still buying?" I's very sad. And this game sells pretty well, from what I could observe at the webstore in which I keep my wishlist.

Thanks for the response guys, I needed to share my feelings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Robinson
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
Excuse me for my ignorance, but what translation? I know the English rules are fine, or at least I did not have any issue with them.

This issue is with the English translation:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/495116/5-discrepancies-b...

The German version has different rules to the English version. Which is right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Freitas
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the original version of the game German? If that's the case, I'd go for those rules.

But until now nobody knows if the rules were just mistranslated or some changes were made intentionally for the english release (who knows why). But if the only feedback the publisher is interested in are the sales numbers, we will never know these answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you have an illegal copy, the back of the box should tell you that the rights to the game belongs to Kosmos.

German Publisher, German designer = German rules is the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.