Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Hobbit: On the Doorstep» Forums » General

Subject: Suggested Decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone beat this using the suggested decks from the rulebook?

We're failing over and over again.

We did beat the other Hobbit expansion with the suggested decks, but it wasn't easy!

I'm sure we could construct decks to zip through these, but I like the theme and don't want to include cards that are not thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't tried, I make my own

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gar0u wrote:
Has anyone beat this using the suggested decks from the rulebook?

We're failing over and over again.

We did beat the other Hobbit expansion with the suggested decks, but it wasn't easy!

I'm sure we could construct decks to zip through these, but I like the theme and don't want to include cards that are not thematic.

If you want to stay thematic, have you tried Easy Mode?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to tell you this, but there's nothing terribly remarkable about an inexperienced player, using someone else's decks drawn from a limited card pool, losing nine times. Easy mode probably gives less advantage on this quest than just about any other, while it reduces a few nasty cards and removes one particularly obnoxious shadow, the main challenge of the quest *isn't* from the encounter deck, and the impact of the extra resources is muted when all your characters are unconscious and all your resources are tossed when you go to stage 3.

The key is to prepare for stage 3. Get the Magic Ring and Sting on Bilbo (use his ability) and do what you can to buff up his defense. If you have cards from Mirkwood cycle, include 3x Fast Hitch. Do *not* advance to stage 3 with an engaged enemy. Don't rush through stage 1 just because you can, and if you have a powerful event combo available (e.g. Sneak Attack + Gandalf) save it for later.

Once you go to stage 3, Bilbo needs to wake people up ASAP. Immediately exhaust the ring to give him one resource, and when the ring refreshes do it again and ready your most important hero. Between the Ring and Bilbo's own resource, you should be able to ready one character per turn at the expense of one threat.

This is essentially a timing quest, and if you time things correctly it may be the easiest OTDS quest. Multiple decks don't help much because the other deck will be off fighting spiders (tip -- if you are playing two handed with a combat deck and a questing deck, make sure you finish stage 1 *when Bilbo is with the questing deck*).

In general, if you're frustrated with repeatedly losing to quests in general, there's a variant I think is superior to Easy Mode for this purpose, described here:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/271926-easy-m...

Ignoring the campaign stuff, for a single quest this amounts to giving yourself an extra resource or card (your choice) for every "Favor of the Valar token" you have, after your mulligan and before setup. You start a quest with zero tokens, but each time you lose you add a token -- two tokens if you lose in the first five rounds. Eventually you'll have enough cards/resources to overpower *any* quest with any deck, then you can move on to the next quest with your tokens back at zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.