Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: should_be_a_GeekList [+] [View All]
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can read a rule book, and play a game and technically do everything right, yet still not "get" the game in some way.

3 games in I'm utterly flailing around trying to get to grips with A Few Acres of Snow, I know all the rules, how every little piece of the jigsaw works, and I can teach anyone how to play it no problem, but I just can't make the game work! it's meant to be 90 minutes, and I've hit 3 hours each time! I know I should keep my deck light etc... but ack, I just can't get it going!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not like playing Race for the Galaxy until I understood how the trade action is a much better way to get (more) cards than explore, which also gives a card to other players. And getting cards is the key to the early game, better than consuming the goods for points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
I did not like playing Race for the Galaxy until I understood how the trade action is a much better way to get (more) cards than explore, which also gives a card to other players. And getting cards is the key to the early game, better than consuming the goods for points.

Wish I had known this before now....

7 Wonders gave us so much trouble when I first bought it. We just couldn't figure it out. I shelved it for like a year and finally was like maybe I should give this another try. I watched the Watchitplayed videos on it and it just clicked. How could I not get this before when it's so easy!

Another one is Betrayal at House... some of the scenarios we've done so far have been confusing and don't come with individual rules or clarification(s) on stuff that doesn't make sense and it's irritating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
London (first edition)

Played a solo game, wasn't clear what was really going on, tried it out 2-player, same deal. Will probably try it again next week (I'm on holiday), but it's currently a bit of a mystery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Obvious Child wrote:
London (first edition)

Played a solo game, wasn't clear what was really going on, tried it out 2-player, same deal. Will probably try it again next week (I'm on holiday), but it's currently a bit of a mystery.
Ha, as a MW fanboy that's high on my list too. Maybe that'll stump me as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle still confuses me.

Keyflower took me a while to get. Not sure why as its not that complicated.

Middle-Earth Quest I had no problem with Arkham, but this one the phases refuse to stay in my brain.

Terra Mystica Dont own it, have only played it twice, but i still dont really understand how things go together. Not sure i like it enough to care however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Obvious Child wrote:
London (first edition)

Ha, as a MW fanboy that's high on my list too. Maybe that'll stump me as well!
My only Wallace is experience is Discworld (which I love, but as far as I can make out is quite different from his others except in that it has loans), so I wouldn't assume that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cribbage probably took more games than it should have to work out how to play (not just "hold most" and don't play a 5 first when pegging). Once I'd got it I started enjoying it.

Rivals for Catan I'm still not sure I get after 14 plays (though I've only played "Duel of the Princes" once). I have a hard time in predicting what is most likely to help me. I'm not convinced that it is too random but it certainly feels that way sometimes when I build a resource doubler & matching trade ship & then hardly ever roll the numbers next to the doubler. The fact it's has tableau & engine building aspects to it means I end up comparing it to RftG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Werewolf and related (The Resistance, etc.). Put the hidden traitor mechanism into a larger game, like Shadows over Camelot, and it makes sense to me. But to just sit around the table and try to figure out secret roles makes no sense to me at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obvious Child wrote:
London (first edition)

ninja Psssst...the key to the game is in the boroughs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
I can read a rule book, and play a game and technically do everything right, yet still not "get" the game in some way.

3 games in I'm utterly flailing around trying to get to grips with A Few Acres of Snow, I know all the rules, how every little piece of the jigsaw works, and I can teach anyone how to play it no problem, but I just can't make the game work! it's meant to be 90 minutes, and I've hit 3 hours each time! I know I should keep my deck light etc... but ack, I just can't get it going!

I have this same experience with Dungeon Lords! I know the rules, I've taught the game and I still always wind up down a food or trying to take actions when other people are doing the same thing and will get there first.

Love the game but I don't think I'll ever be a winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
A wargamer for more than 40 years. I played and had no problem with Air War: Modern Tactical Air Combat (it doesn't get much more complex in terms of wargame rules) and the 1980s Avalon Hill legalise of Up Front, yet Fields of Fire still gives me headaches.

Plagued with unnecessarily complicated military jargon in the rules; poor information design and flow re: charts and rules order/layout; overly fiddly counters and book-keeping; too much chrome in some areas, lacking granularity in others; I could go on. Probably a masterpiece but fiddly as hell and way too long. Three hours of developer videos showing a game where even they get rules wrong (and some situation rules are completely missing) and the game's not done and they excluded set-up time ... Houston, we have a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My white whale is Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar. For whatever reason, I'm pretty lousy at this game. I can never seem to get the timing quite right.

Luckily, it exists online, so maybe I'll try to sharpen my skills on Boardgame Arena
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello I Am Jim
badge
Yo
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently the #1 game that I can't get is Le Fantôme de l'Opéra. I for the life of me cannot win a game of this.

Another game that has me trying to figure out why I suck is Seasons. I guess it's because I don't play this all the time, but I have a hard time getting this game to work for me. I'm a former Magic player, won a few tournaments too, but can't get this game to work. It also doesn't help that one of the players I play with plays this game almost everyday. He wins this game easily due to his experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I understand Neuland, but every time I try to explain it to my friends, I get confoozled.

Pete (must not understand it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Davidson
United States
Bennington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's Gingkopolis. I played it once, loved it, and got a copy for myself.

When I sat down to read the rules I couldn't make sense of it, even though I'd already played it. I kept going back to the rules, but nothing ever clicked. So I finally sold it.

Now I've borrowed a friend's Die Macher. I've been wanting to play that for a long time. I really hope I can get it....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meredith
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Everybody I know needs what I'm selling.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty good at strategy games and win quite regularly in my group. Whether it be Trajan, Terra Mystica, Madeira, Vinhos, Goa, Rococo, etc. I have far more wins than I do any other finishing placement...

For the life of me, I can't figure out Concordia. I always get last or second last, and I don't know why. It just doesn't click with my brain like it does for others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Gentry
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica is probably the hardest to grasp game I've played. There are just so many options, and 14 different races that alter the already complicated rules in some way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fong
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
My white whale is Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar. For whatever reason, I'm pretty lousy at this game. I can never seem to get the timing quite right.

Luckily, it exists online, so maybe I'll try to sharpen my skills on Boardgame Arena

Tzol'kin has a very steep learning curve. it takes a game or 3 to learn the symbols and work on timing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nuttyturnip wrote:
Terra Mystica is probably the hardest to grasp game I've played. There are just so many options, and 14 different races that alter the already complicated rules in some way.
Personally I think I found it more "death by choice" than not it being actually complex. That dumb magic points track was just nailed on etc. Certainly the asymmetrical characters make for a lot of different experiences though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On my first play of Trajan the mancala broke my head. Once it clicked I realized what an awesome game it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Watson
United States
Belle Plaine
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy was my first game beyond the typical family games you get at Wal-Mart. I read the rules, and re-read them and struggled mightily with "rounds" and "phases" and "tableau" and all the actions of the cards. Several times my wife would say, "Are you playing your game?" and I would say, "I'm still trying to figure the rules out, they're pretty complicated." But once I got a handle on it, a lot of other games that I purchased later were easier to grasp. I wonder if it is common for most or many to struggle with that first game with all the strange actions and mechanics...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't know if I'm playing Condottiere correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stargrunt II and Crossfire have never clicked for me. Most other minis games I can at least get started on, but these just wiggle out of my head every time I try to play.

(I think part of it is an implicit assumption that I have a favorite WWII tactical scenario, which I will of course want to simulate.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
For the moves
Trinidad and Tobago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've been trying to introduce Tichu at work so I've been reading the rules for a few days so I can explain it to others. There's just something about it that I just don't get. When do I call Tichu vs Grand Tichu? How do I play without messing up my partner? What cards to I do away with at the start of a round? So frustrating.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.