Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I usually try to give my opinion quickly, so people have a first clue if they might like a game, I often play a game only once (in Essen for example) before I write my impression-review. Usually I play the games again later and mostly my opinion doesn't change, but rarely it does considerably. What should I do? Post a new review with more games to base it on, edit the old one or just edit a new paragraph with Thoughts after more plays into the old one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
If the new one is going to be a longer one, make a new one and add a link to it from the first-impressions review.

If it is only a couple of paragraphs, append it to the end of the existing one.

(Edit: It is interesting, even valuable to see the original impressions and then what you think about the game after 'enough' plays.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit and add an addendum. Make it clear that the new content is an addition.

OTOH if you're just fixing typos, just do it without fuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't submit the first one as a review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

That's actually golden advice. Put first impressions in the game's general forum. Put actual in-depth critical reviews in the review section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Trzonkowski
United States
Whitsett
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

Pretty much this ^

I'd call the first one a "First Impressions" and then follow up with a "Full Review."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Davidson
United States
Bennington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

There's a whole category for Session reports. I think 'first impressions' fit nicely there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will continue posting those as a review as it is what they are. I do think that in >90% of the cases I know what to think of the game after a single play and as reviews are going through geek mod it's seen as a review there too, else it would be declined. And in some cases there won't be more plays, because I don't play a game I don't like several times just to please people who think you can't form an opinion after 1 play.

Thanks for the related answers though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanan Ubis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you need to have played games several times before you write a review, though it certainly helps. Games can take hours to finish; I think it's fine to write a review after spending 6-9 hours on the game. Additionally, nowadays many of these video "reviews" are getting posted as reviews when they are really just previews or mechanics explanations with some thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
People who love the game typically object to negative reviews after only one or two plays, but to people looking to get the game first impressions are often very important to read. I posted a negative review of Root after two plays and had someone quite vocal about how it was only an ‘impression’ because I hadn’t given them what they wanted to hear. To me a first impression is one where you play the game without fully grasping the rules, and just want to describe how you felt about it. A review is more of an analysis of the rules and mechanics and how it all comes together as an experience.

I like the idea of a separate thread for your follow up. I’ve considered doing this for my Root review, actually, though I sold that game pretty quickly. If you make it clear that it’s a follow up to another review I think that could be useful for people to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Locu wrote:
I will continue posting those as a review as it is what they are. I do think that in >90% of the cases I know what to think of the game after a single play

Fair enough. And >90% of the time, I know that such impressions are worth little to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.