Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh and Caz
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm new here, so hi all first off.

Just read the update on kick starter regarding new rules for barbarian and full auto, and find them a little confusing. Can anyone clarify what they do.

"Barbarian – When resolving a Melee Action, the Survivor can replace the Dice value of the Melee weapon(s) he uses by the number of Actors standing in his Zone (including other Survivors and himself). Skills affecting the dice value, like +1 die: Melee, still apply."

Does it mean if you were in a zone with 4 players and yourself making 5 of you. That regardless of what you roll when using a chainsaw(5+ to hit) they would all be considered hits?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew CARLESS
Italy
Inveruno
MILANO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understood the "Dice Value" to be the number of dice rolled, i.e.. if you're using a pan and you're in a zone with 8 actors + yourself then you get to roll 9 dice, which would explain why you can still use the "+1" etc

imho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's right about Dice. The values at the bottom of the cards are range, dice, accuracy and damage. Page 7 of PO says that zombies are also actors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh and Caz
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks was reading some of the KS comments and they seem to think the same. Seems like they could be pretty overpowered when combined with something like a rifle and +1 to die roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From how it reads, it sounds like it only counts survivors... in which case full auto would only be great if used by one with steady hand. However, we haven't seen the rulebook yet which might define actors differently.

I still highly doubt that zombies are counted as it didn't say 'count models', only count actors (in reference to parody characters).

Barbarian would still rock though (group of 4, 2x machete is now 5 dice!)

These skills would also be great for killing opponents survivors is pvp as they are survivors/actors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh and Caz
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does it not define actors as any miniature in the season 1 rule book? I'm at work otherwise I would check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
>Barbarian would still rock though (group of 4, 2x machete is now 5 dice!)

Wouldn't 2xmachete be 8 dice in your example? 2x4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rector
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep on the KS page I believe they made it clear dual weapons still get twice as many dice. Really, really good skills especially full auto. Hoping they don't take them too lightly and give them to survivors to start with, following up later with things like gunslinger or ambidextrous, etc. They seem like fun, but OP survivors is not a good thing with PVP also coming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the term "actor" refers to any type of model ie all;
both zombies, survivors and survivor companions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it back, it has been clarified by the makers that 'actors' are models... so a barbarian with two machetes in a zone with 8 walkers will get 10 dice (8 walkers + 1 survivor + 1 for dual weapons) -awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe fife
United States
charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
455_PWR wrote:
I take it back, it has been clarified by the makers that 'actors' are models... so a barbarian with two machetes in a zone with 8 walkers will get 10 dice (8 walkers + 1 survivor + 1 for dual weapons) -awesome!
Shouldn't that be 18? The Survivor replaces the dice value of both Machetes with the number of actors in the zone (9) and then dual wield lets him use both Machetes.

Edit: Thinking on it more, it dependes on how you interpret "Survivor can replace the Dice value of the Melee weapon(s)..." Does it mean you replace the collective Dice value, getting 9, or each individual weapon's dice value, making it 18?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Reznor
msg tools
mb
That's crazy. With that skill, a survivor could decimate a whole horde of zombies. Let's say one survivor also has the lockdown skill. You wait till 40 zombies have gathered in front of the door, open up, get a bucket of dice ready and you ROOOLLLLL those mothers. Your average melee weapon hits with 4-6 so you have a 50/50 chance. So you can realistically kill 20 zombies with one action, another 10 with the second and 5 with the last action. That's 35 zombies killed with a simple weapon like the fire axe. That is insane. Dual-wielding... 80 dice... overkill...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiff Jaffa
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking these skills were a little OP.
So with full auto, if i have a single pistol and there are 10 zombies in a zone I am firing into I get to roll 10 dice and kill on a 4+ (walkers and runners),
Just like if I had run over the zone in a car?

EXCEPT I also add any +1 to dice (ranged) etc skills making a single pistol more devestating than a car....

I assume like the car you roll for each actor (all zombies and survivors count as actors) but cant kill runners if fatties/abominations are present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiff Jaffa
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also dose this include weapons like the sniper rifle?
If theres a zone of 25 mixed zombies I get to roll 25 dice and pick who gets killed?
That's nuts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i find it OP as well.

I feel it should relate to the weapon in use by letting you roll a multiple of the normal dice, best is triple.
so with a 1-die weapon you get to roll 3 dice or a 5-die weapon allows for 15 dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking at the very least it might be house-ruled to apply only to weapons that already get more than one die. So, no going crazy with the sniper rifle, or even the pistol.

There would still be plenty of weapons that would make this insanely powerful, but it would limit it slightly.

All in all, I wouldn't be too surprised if we saw this one change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Leslie
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please keep in mind that both of these skills are designed for the season with skinners and crawlers. If you end up rolling more dice than you have zombies in the zone due to a lot of survivor characters in the zone, it ups your chances of rolling 1s which simply turn the skinners into crawlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermann Steer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently everyone understands this differently from me. I thought "dice number" refers to both the number of dice you throw as well as to the number you have to roll to hit. Meaning if there are six actors in the zone, your roll six dice but only hit on 6+. So if there are more than six actors, you cant hit [try rolling an eight with a D6 ]. This way it is still powerful - attack a zone with three zombies in it with a pistol, roll three dice and hit on 3+.
Am in misunderstanding this skill? Otherwise its insanely powerful in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Leslie
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darklet wrote:
Apparently everyone understands this differently from me. I thought "dice number" refers to both the number of dice your throw as well as to the number you have to roll to hit. Meaning if there are six actors in the zone, your roll six dice but only hit on 6+. So if there are more than six actors, you cant hit [try rolling an eight with a D6 ]. This way its still powerful - attack an zone with three zombies in it with a pistol, roll three drice and hit on 3+.
Am in misunderstanding this skill? Otherwise its insanely powerful in my opinion.

You are misunderstanding the skills. Dice number is only the number of dice you roll. On page 9 of the Rue Morgue Rule book, where it breaks down the weapon card, the Dice box is the number of Dice you roll. The Accuracy box is where you look to find out what you need to roll to hit, and neither skill affects accuracy.
I agree that the skills are powerful, but again, skinners negate this a lot, as more dice rolled = more chances for ones to be rolled.
Also, this isn't a skill I'd expect to see on any survivors in blue, and from the Base Rue Morgue set, I don't remember anyone who has either skill except as a Zombivor (though, I only did a quick glance, so please correct me if that's not the case.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrien Auger
Canada
flag msg tools
Okay, okay. Check this out.
You have a character who's packing 3 dogs and 2 machetes. With the Barbarian skill, you would roll a die for each actor in the zone for each weapon. Before you EVEN FACTOR in zombies, you would roll 4 dice (for 4 actors) for each weapon (times it by 2), and then add one die for each dog (for the dog ability)... You would be rolling 11 dice. AND THEN you would factor in zombies, which would give 2 more dice for each zombie in the zone.

A survivor with this set up could walk into a zone with 10 zombies and roll 31 dice.

It's a pretty specific equipment build, but... You would be unstoppable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Leslie
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caladon2000 wrote:
Okay, okay. Check this out.
You have a character who's packing 3 dogs and 2 machetes. With the Barbarian skill, you would roll a die for each actor in the zone for each weapon. Before you EVEN FACTOR in zombies, you would roll 4 dice (for 4 actors) for each weapon (times it by 2), and then add one die for each dog (for the dog ability)... You would be rolling 11 dice. AND THEN you would factor in zombies, which would give 2 more dice for each zombie in the zone.

A survivor with this set up could walk into a zone with 10 zombies and roll 31 dice.

It's a pretty specific equipment build, but... You would be unstoppable.

Which would make you awesome against standard and berserkers. Unless you had toxic immunity, you'd be useless against Toxics. And if the zombies happened to be skinners, if you rolled 31 dice, on average you're going to roll five 1's, and need to spend the next round wiping up crawlers.
It's a powerful skill, but a lot of other skills are also super powerful in situations as specific as the one that you described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Leslie
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotenomad wrote:

Also, this isn't a skill I'd expect to see on any survivors in blue, and from the Base Rue Morgue set, I don't remember anyone who has either skill except as a Zombivor (though, I only did a quick glance, so please correct me if that's not the case.)

I just saw the stats for Miss Trish on GG's page, so I stand corrected. Full Auto at Blue, with the ability to gain a free ranged attack AND sniper? She is pretty powerful. I'd need to play through a few times before saying over-powered, but that certainly seems better in most situations than some other choices out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotenomad wrote:
[q="Coyotenomad"]
I just saw the stats for Miss Trish on GG's page, so I stand corrected. Full Auto at Blue, with the ability to gain a free ranged attack AND sniper? She is pretty powerful.

I played her with a poor bow. This is truly overpowered and this skill is anticlimatic.

I'll think about a way to change this skill because this in totally unbalanced. Maybe a maximum of 3 dice would be enought. That makes up to 6 attacks on 3+, which is great (almost ultrared), and that still keeps the skill particularity to make 3+ weapons a lot greater than others.

Or i could decide that if you use this skill, you can attack only once each turn. That is still really strong against a big crowd of zombies, but it's not auto-sufficient and you'll need other survivors to kill the rest. And that would be thematic, as you overheat your weapon and must let it rest.

Cars were already overpowered because they adapted to the number of zombies you fought.
any simila skill, that depends on the number of zombies, will be far too powerful. This is poor playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Clarke

Ewloe
Flintshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archange227 wrote:
Any similar skill, that depends on the number of zombies, will be far too powerful. This is poor playtesting.

It looked over the top from the word go, I know people have said about crawlers, but even with them it's still badly thought through. We've decided to treat it as "+1 Die: Combat", still useful but not insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Fern
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with Miss Trish last night as we were a table of teachers, so using a kindy teacher was pretty cool. My character Ross found his bowling ball with his first search which was pretty exciting. Later in the game I really wanted the dual smgs that Miss Trish had so I wanted to swap. And then we realised what that would mean. Miss Trish was going to be able to roll as many dice as there were zombies (in one instance this was around 15), the bowling ball did 3 damage and hits on a 2+. Amazing. She became our superhero. That combination was an instant win. I agree with everyone here that the skill is overpowered and definitely shouldn't be a blue skill. Our discussion at the end of the game was about how some of the newer characters are massively more powerful than early characters. Miss Trish would kick Chuck Norris' butt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.