Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » General

Subject: How many copies of the game do I need if I want to play with 4 (6) players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm a little bit confused... so I would like to know how many copies of the game do I need if I want to play with 4 (6) players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 copy for every 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:
1 copy for every 2 players.

Many thanks SonnyDK.

Do you know if it makes sense to buy 3 copies? Or is the game more of a 2-4 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
Haven't tried with Star Realms but most deckbuilders don't scale well beyond 4 players. The main feature of the game is the speed of play and 6 players kills that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
It's by far best with 2. I wouldn't buy it with the aim of playing with more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an official 6 player variant that some people have reported can be fun, but it would be quite a different and much less elegant game from the 2 player experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
It's by far best with 2. I wouldn't buy it with the aim of playing with more.

I have 2 decks for up to 4 players and I bought the second after hearing how much fun the 'Raid' format can be. That plus team play has me very interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this much better as a 2 player game, rather than 3 or 4.

When I play with 3 other people, we'll just play two 2-player games simultaneously, where we share the trade and explorer decks.

Essentially this would be the same as just using two decks, but since I've shuffled them together it would be a hassle to split them up.

But yeah, it's best as a 2 player game and if you treat it like that, you really only need 1 copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to hear feedback on larger than two player games - are there specific variant rules that work well? Is the need for another deck simply for another set of "starting hand" cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
Wiesbaden
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are you finding this in Germany?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for all the input guys and gals, now I know how many copies I will buy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Steinhauser
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed the kickstarter at the 6 player level, but after reading the rules I thought it would only be good as a two-player game, so I sold the other two decks. It would probably be descent with four playing teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Money
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa...I read elsewhere that the game plays perfectly fine with 4 players using a single deck. Can anyone here verify this?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hernandez
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidPD wrote:
Whoa...I read elsewhere that the game plays perfectly fine with 4 players using a single deck. Can anyone here verify this?

Thanks.

In theory you can play 4 players using a single deck (provided you proxy two additional starting sets for the other two players) but the chances that you will run out of cards in a heated match are high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played many 3- and 4-player games with a single deck. No, you don't need to proxy anything: 5 Scouts & 1 Viper for 3-player, 4 Scouts & 1 Viper for 4-player. Toss in an Explorer or two if you like (I often do). Keep track of scores with something other than the score cards (eg pen and paper). 50 starting Authority. Go.

We play Free-For-All and Hunter (more often Hunter to avoid people feeling 'ganged up on') as explained HERE and it goes swimmingly.

I plan to buy (at least) another deck so we can more fully explore the other multiplayer variants listed in the rules, but it's very very possible to play up to four quite happily with a single deck, I promise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Luckus
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LineOf7s wrote:
I have played many 3- and 4-player games with a single deck. No, you don't need to proxy anything: 5 Scouts & 1 Viper for 3-player, 4 Scouts & 1 Viper for 4-player. Toss in an Explorer or two if you like (I often do). Keep track of scores with something other than the score cards (eg pen and paper). 50 starting Authority. Go.

We play Free-For-All and Hunter (more often Hunter to avoid people feeling 'ganged up on') as explained HERE and it goes swimmingly.

Hey Thanks! I will have to try this. I am toying with getting a second deck but I don't want to have to separate out my trade deck when switching between 2 and 2+ players. I may still by a second deck because it is hard to find and my FLGS has decks still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game with 4 players as both hunter (attack player to right) and teams (2v2). The team game was the best because you took the turn at the same time as your teammate, and when it wasn't your turn, you were strategizing with your teammate, so you were always engaged. I really want to try the 3v3 game variant, because I don't think it would slow down too much and would still be a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.