Henry Coleman
United Kingdom
Hampton
Middlesex
flag msg tools
I received Foul Play yesterday! First play tomorrow hopefully.

From memory a few things that stood out that weren't in the previews:

Interesting to see the goblin team don’t have lineman in the traditional sense. Instead of lineman they have 3 ‘Goblin’ players who when played can draw the 1st card of their deck and if it is rated 2 star or less, add it to the match up and apply its skills. If it’s more than 2 star, then they discard it and draw a cheat token instead. This will make the Goblin team very unique in how it plays. The Goblin star players are almost all 2 star players as well.
The Goblin ball carriers (x3) are only rated 1 star, but they have ‘Stunty’ which is effectively a reverse ‘dauntless’ in that all tackles against it are one dice.

There are a number of cards and star players introduced that allow you to move the ball and/or ball carriers to different matchups. This sounds like it could create some crazy situations particularly if you are playing with enchanted balls (which of course you are!).

Nurlge Rotters have an interesting ability in that if they tackle successfully, you search your deck for a lineman, add it to the match up and then shuffle your discard and team deck together.

One of the Nurgle team star players is probably the best in the game or at least on a level with the Good guy’s version of Morg. 5 star (2 star down) with tackle, cheat and foul, plus the new Loner ability allow this card to win a lot of matchups on it own.

Anyway, looking forward to the new corrupt ref mechanic the most and I should hopefully feedback how it all plays later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

Do the goblins have 2 trolls?

Now please do a review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Yates
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
badge
Tea and Board Games
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nurgle Rotters ability actually requires you to injure your opponent - that is, knock them out of the matchup. It's good for adding extras to the pitch while thinning your deck of Linemen at the same time though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suplex
msg tools
I played a game this past weekend with Humans, Orcs, Dwarfs, and Goblins. The Goblins are weird as hell. They cycle through their deck super fast because of the Goblin "linemen", and to some extent want to avoid star players because of the above-mentioned Goblin ability to cycle players, but only weak ones. They cycle through their deck ridiculously fast, even compared to Sprint teams like Wood Elves or Skaven. The flip side is that they have a very low overall star power on the team, so the swarming sometimes doesn't even help in matchups. Stunty was a very frustrating skill for the bash teams to deal with as it was difficult for them to deny the Goblins possession; on the flip side they have Guard on the team so I think its balanced. They have 2 Trolls, and these Trolls have "Throw Team Mate" just like the troll star player from the Orc/Chaos/Skaven star player deck. The special weapons were all hilarious, often self-destructing, and very good representations of how they work in the tabletop game. They were fun and whacky, without being OP, just as I would expect Goblins to be.

We did actually run into the "move the ball to another matchup" situation. Our crazy Goblin coach decided to steal a ball and bring it to the Blood Bowl, a match where everyone was pretty much all-in. The Dwarfs and the Humans each had possession of the ball, as well as 17 star power each at one point. We assumed this meant that the ball no longer was a tie-breaker, but weren't completely clear.

All in all, the Goblins are hilarious and ridiculous and an awesome addition to the roster. I wanted to play with Nurgle but we had two beginners so didn't want to further complicate things, but I will try them out at some point. I'm still worried that Chaos Dwarfs might be another OP team like Humans and Undead, but I guess if enough OP teams emerge they will start to keep each other in check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suplex
msg tools
TLDR: The Goblins alone are worth the price of the expansion in my humble opinion. They are absolutely crazy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh... Guys I am pretty sure that if the player holding the ball is thrown then the ball goes to midfield - it doesnt go to the other match-up... Can anyone verify this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suplex
msg tools
SovTech wrote:
Eh... Guys I am pretty sure that if the player holding the ball is thrown then the ball goes to midfield - it doesnt go to the other match-up... Can anyone verify this?

It is very clear when the ball moves with the player and when it does not. The ability to move the ball exists on a goblin star player and as one of the team upgrades. You'll see once you have the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the goblins have two trolls. The crazy ability to move balls between matchups seems really really cool. I love the look of the goblins. With their stunty abilities, plus the chance to bring in a swarm of weak players. Super fun looking club. Depending on how you play them you might be looking for different types of star players than you would with other teams. Maybe this is a team that you might want to let the other guys fight over stars and you go for the team upgrades/staff upgrades.

Nurgles Rotters... also look like a ton of fun. Throwing out those disease tokens can make people not want to put people in the matchup. Pretty cool mechanic. Team looks relatively average, but that mechanic is fun with some interesting team upgrades. they will play (for me) a bit differently. A lot of the time I will save my stronger players for my last few plays, but you want to get a lot of your bigger guys on the team out to either stop the other guy from getting the ball (Beast of Nurgle) or get those disease tokens out.

I haven't played them yet, but the Chaos Dwarves dissapoint me. My favorite tabletop Blood Bowl team and my favorite Warhammer Fantasy army (yeah I'm old, shut up). They don't seem to have the flair of the other two, not nearly as interesting. They do appear to be better than the normal dwarves, but I'm just not seeing a particularly good team with them. It's possible after I give them a couple plays it will click with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Suplex wrote:

We did actually run into the "move the ball to another matchup" situation. Our crazy Goblin coach decided to steal a ball and bring it to the Blood Bowl, a match where everyone was pretty much all-in. The Dwarfs and the Humans each had possession of the ball, as well as 17 star power each at one point. We assumed this meant that the ball no longer was a tie-breaker, but weren't completely clear.

I would think that if we have an 18, two 17's with the ball and a 17 without the ball. 18 takes first, 17's w/ ball tie for second and other 17 is the loser.

Two 17's with the ball a 17 and a 15. 17's w/ ball tie for first and everyone else gets loser. This is how I would see it, but I don't have rules/faqs in front of me at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think that, thematically, fans of Blood Bowl would hate tied games.

So, I would think that ties mean nobody gets the rewards in the middle of a highlight. Or in the case of a tournament, two teams tied for first would both get the second-place reward and everyone else would get loser. Or if they tie for second they're both losers.

I could also see it come down to sudden death where both teams take cheat tokens until the tie is broken. That could be interesting because it could catapult a team tied for second above the first-place team in a tournament.

Either way, I think that a tied game should be a very rare occurrence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Coleman
United Kingdom
Hampton
Middlesex
flag msg tools
SovTech wrote:
Nice!

Do the goblins have 2 trolls?

Now please do a review!

Just submitted one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.